U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2009, 10:03 AM

1,770 posts, read 2,019,829 times

Advertisements

The bill gives federal employees a cost of living raise...
while seniors and the disabled are getting letters from
the government explaining they will get no cost of living
raise due to no inflation.

House passes omnibus spending bill with pay raise, agency funding

December 11, 2009

... in the bill is a two percent pay raise for cost of living adjustment for federal employees...

Federal News Radio 1500 AM: House passes omnibus spending bill with pay raise, agency funding

~
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2009, 10:09 AM

~

For feds, more get 6-figure salaries

The number of federal workers earning six-figure salaries has exploded during the recession, according to a USA TODAY analysis of federal salary data.

article at link

For feds, more get 6-figure salaries - USATODAY.com

Report: S.C. Seniors Struggling to Buy Food

The 79-year-old survives on just $942 a month from Social Security. She has to pay rent, $250 in medications, and if there's anything left over, food.

article at link

Report: S.C. Seniors Struggling to Buy Food | wltx.com

~

Old 12-12-2009, 10:34 AM
JS1

1,898 posts, read 6,123,441 times
If I were in charge, there would be a lot of whining from federal employees because they would have to actually do some work and not get a raise for being a seat-warmer.

Old 12-12-2009, 10:47 AM

The bill is not to give federal employees merit raises...
but cost of living raises.

At the same time the government is telling seniors and
the disabled the cost of living has not increased.

~

Old 12-12-2009, 11:23 AM

23,605 posts, read 31,467,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by king's highway View Post
The bill is not to give federal employees merit raises...
but cost of living raises.

At the same time the government is telling seniors and
the disabled the cost of living has not increased.
And this is surprising why? I receive Social Security and this year's COLA was nice but I have never based my finances on ever receiving a COLA in retirement. Any COLA I may get in SS or my pension just goes fully into savings anyway. To depend upon government (I'm a retired state government employee) is to set yourself up for disappointment.

Old 12-12-2009, 11:40 AM

167 posts, read 468,721 times
Default SS Disability

Not everyone is blessed with financial stability, no matter how hard you work, or how much $$ you put in the bank. In 2005 my husband was hit twice by a drunk driver (2-1/2 times the legal limit). My husband was a nurse. We brought in two good incomes prior to the accident, had 401K's, and $ in the bank. My husband sustained a serious head injury, and needed 24/7 care for the first two years. We went from having $$ to nothing. COLA rasies DO mean something to the less fortunate. Don't make assumptions that we all are irresponsible.

Old 12-12-2009, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serena123 View Post

Not everyone is blessed with financial stability, no matter how hard you work, or how much $$ you put in the bank. In 2005 my husband was hit twice by a drunk driver (2-1/2 times the legal limit). My husband was a nurse. We brought in two good incomes prior to the accident, had 401K's, and $ in the bank. My husband sustained a serious head injury, and needed 24/7 care for the first two years. We went from having $$ to nothing. COLA rasies DO mean something to the less fortunate. Don't make assumptions that we all are irresponsible.

Yes, the lesson is all around us. No one is invincible.

~

Old 12-12-2009, 11:53 AM

23,605 posts, read 31,467,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serena123 View Post
No intent whatsoever to imply a lack of responsibility. I know there are those who depend on the COLAs to keep abreast of inflation, because they really need them or, better yet, to even get ahead a little. What I was trying to impart was the occasional futility of counting on them because they are controlled by government, after all.

Old 12-12-2009, 06:32 PM

36,484 posts, read 43,738,878 times
do retired federal employees get that COLA as well?

Old 12-12-2009, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post

do retired federal employees get that COLA as well?

Retired federal employees are on the same COLA formula as Social Security and SSI,
so unless this bill gives them one, they will not get a COLA in 2010.

~
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or