U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2009, 11:49 PM

96 posts, read 491,494 times

Advertisements

My wife & I + my severely disabled adult step-son are interested in retiring to a good retirement condo in Florida adacent to good health care.
I also became disabled as a result of an on-the-job injury so we are looking for good condominium retirement areas/communities in Florida where good health care is readily available.
Obviously, none of us are golfers or have children of school age so......we are not looking for a " golf oriented " condo or an area suitable for school children but would appreciate any suggestions on areas or specific retirement condo communities with a swimming pool, recreation center, etc. ?
What should I expect to pay for retirement condos in the various areas of Florida ?
Are there some areas known for better health care services than others ?
Are there good retirement condo communities in Florida which do not cater to golfers and which are accessible to good health care ?
If so.....where are these condo communities located and what specific condos developments are desirable & what should be avoided ?
Thanks - DK
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2009, 07:45 PM

5,164 posts, read 8,687,150 times
Smile What area of Florida?

I'm located in Boca Raton, FL southeast Florida between Fort Lauderdale and West Palm Beach, FL.

Ever visited FL?

Price range?

Old 12-23-2009, 12:04 PM

4,343 posts, read 6,053,473 times
A condo denotes up and down living. Is this what you want if you have a severely disabled family member? There are many subdivisions in FL where you can find a one-level single-family (detached) home and all your outside maintenance is done for you. The closer you are to a big city, i.e., JAX, Orlando, Tampa, the better the health care though some small county hospitals are up to par for the run of the mill ailments but be prepared to travel to the big city for life threatening problems. Also, just because it's a golf course community it doesn't mean it's only for golfers. Try googling The Villages in the Ocala area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement