U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-19-2009, 09:28 AM
 
72,322 posts, read 72,269,260 times
Reputation: 49849
for me vegas living would be a double edged sword...id get a great deal on a home, low cost living and then id blow 90% of my money on gambling, shows, women and drinking. the other 10% thats left id probley spend foolishly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-19-2009, 10:29 AM
 
Location: Baltimore
1,802 posts, read 7,319,502 times
Reputation: 1920
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
for me vegas living would be a double edged sword...id get a great deal on a home, low cost living and then id blow 90% of my money on gambling, shows, women and drinking. the other 10% thats left id probley spend foolishly.
Funny!

Congrats to you MadMan!

I've never been to Vegas. It looks as though there are great deals to be had on real estate out there, and I've always prefered warm weather (as opposed to here in Baltimore where right now it's 24 degrees out with a windchill of 14, a foot of snow already on the ground and about a foot more to come). But I need to be closer to the beach.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-19-2009, 11:19 AM
 
15,151 posts, read 19,849,727 times
Reputation: 21356
Congrats, madman. What a great deal. I wouldnt want to play poker against you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-19-2009, 12:25 PM
 
8,266 posts, read 11,973,760 times
Reputation: 18297
Quote:
Originally Posted by janetvj View Post
Funny!

Congrats to you MadMan!

I've never been to Vegas. It looks as though there are great deals to be had on real estate out there, and I've always prefered warm weather (as opposed to here in Baltimore where right now it's 24 degrees out with a windchill of 14, a foot of snow already on the ground and about a foot more to come). But I need to be closer to the beach.
Thanks. And, you don't have to tell me about the weather - - I'm in D.C.!

As for being close to the beach, it doesn't take much more effort to make it to a beach from Vegas. From Bethesda, it took us a little under 3 hrs to make it to Ocean City. From Vegas, I can get to L.A. in 4. And the added advantage is that I can hit the beach in SoCal year-round as opposed to the three-month season here. (Not to mention the massive traffic jam trying to make it across the Chesapeake Bay Bridge!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-19-2009, 01:03 PM
 
Location: Baltimore
1,802 posts, read 7,319,502 times
Reputation: 1920
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Thanks. And, you don't have to tell me about the weather - - I'm in D.C.!

As for being close to the beach, it doesn't take much more effort to make it to a beach from Vegas. From Bethesda, it took us a little under 3 hrs to make it to Ocean City. From Vegas, I can get to L.A. in 4. And the added advantage is that I can hit the beach in SoCal year-round as opposed to the three-month season here. (Not to mention the massive traffic jam trying to make it across the Chesapeake Bay Bridge!)
That's great - I thought it would take much longer to drive there. And I know what you mean about Ocean City. My ultimate plan is to relocate to southwest Florida. In fact, I'm on my way down there at the end of January to do some house-hunting myself. This trip is more to choose a neighborhood than to choose a specific house. Not quite ready to buy yet, but I'm getting closer!

I sort of lost my focus during the few months immediately after I retired. After all, it was summertime, and the weather here was great. By the middle of November I was getting that itch again. Today with the snowstorm it hit me. Now I remember why I wanted to move!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-19-2009, 01:59 PM
 
Location: So. of Rosarito, Baja, Mexico
6,663 posts, read 18,740,233 times
Reputation: 6128
Not familiar with the prices of homes in LV but from the one shown at $210K looks real nice.

Only question I would have is the vast change of low freezing temp to a 100 plus temp and the need for a lot of AC. There has to be a slight downfall somewhere. Either the house was way overpriced at the beginning or the mkt was REAL BAD for the area. Possible they had overpaid at their initial purchase or were hoping to make a killing on resale.

When buying or looking to buy something I always try to figure out why they are selling such a good deal (if possible) or maybe it's a dire financial strait which is possible nowadays.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-19-2009, 03:18 PM
 
72,322 posts, read 72,269,260 times
Reputation: 49849
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Thanks. And, you don't have to tell me about the weather - - I'm in D.C.!

As for being close to the beach, it doesn't take much more effort to make it to a beach from Vegas. From Bethesda, it took us a little under 3 hrs to make it to Ocean City. From Vegas, I can get to L.A. in 4. And the added advantage is that I can hit the beach in SoCal year-round as opposed to the three-month season here. (Not to mention the massive traffic jam trying to make it across the Chesapeake Bay Bridge!)
a few more california earthquakes and madman may be the owner of ocean front property right in vegas.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-19-2009, 04:02 PM
 
Location: DC Area, for now
3,517 posts, read 12,073,546 times
Reputation: 2142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
Not familiar with the prices of homes in LV but from the one shown at $210K looks real nice.

Only question I would have is the vast change of low freezing temp to a 100 plus temp and the need for a lot of AC. There has to be a slight downfall somewhere. Either the house was way overpriced at the beginning or the mkt was REAL BAD for the area. Possible they had overpaid at their initial purchase or were hoping to make a killing on resale.

When buying or looking to buy something I always try to figure out why they are selling such a good deal (if possible) or maybe it's a dire financial strait which is possible nowadays.
LV real estate was booming like crazy and it is really hard hit at the fall. Markets that boomed the most then fell the most. He probably did get a good deal on a good property and the sellers were probably desperate.

LV is really hot. and dry. It is a desert and will get some cold temps in winter but most of the year it is warm to very hot. Not for me, but others don't mind the heat like I do. I'd rather have this snow than that heat.

And getting thru LA to the beaches is not quick most of the time. 4 hours is probably optimistic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-19-2009, 06:24 PM
 
Location: SoCal desert
8,093 posts, read 13,275,350 times
Reputation: 14870
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Thanks. And, you don't have to tell me about the weather - - I'm in D.C.!

As for being close to the beach, it doesn't take much more effort to make it to a beach from Vegas. From Bethesda, it took us a little under 3 hrs to make it to Ocean City. From Vegas, I can get to L.A. in 4. And the added advantage is that I can hit the beach in SoCal year-round as opposed to the three-month season here. (Not to mention the massive traffic jam trying to make it across the Chesapeake Bay Bridge!)
T'heck with the LA beaches - go to the Colorado River!
Lake Mead, Laughlin, Bullhead City, Big Bend, Lake Havasu!


And congrats on the house!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top