U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2009, 01:09 PM

1,915 posts, read 4,603,555 times

Advertisements

There are lots of websites that compare income and property taxes among various states, but I've not seen any websites for comparing the cost of registering cars in various states, in particular the states that impose property taxes on cars, which can be significant. Has anyone found such a list? If you drive a newer car, the personal property taxes can be steep if the state imposes annual taxes on autos. This can be one part of the equation in comparing overall taxes in a state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2009, 02:40 PM

5,392 posts, read 21,385,099 times
It is the sales tax on the auto purchase that bothers me more than licensing... it is high enough to discourage me from a purchase.

Old 12-20-2009, 04:15 PM

Yes, sales taxes are high on cars, but when looking at states for possible retirement relocation, and trying to assess the full cost of registering a car (including any "taxes" or fees based on value), it's hard to find information comparing states. I've read that about 12 states assess personal property taxes on cars based on assessed value, but I can't find a list. When I moved to Minnesota for one year, they had a very high "fee" for registering the car that was based on the car's value; it was a tax, just called a fee. If anyone has a list of states that assess fees or taxes when cars are registered, it would be appreciated.

Old 12-20-2009, 04:24 PM

8,778 posts, read 16,754,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xz2y View Post
I've read that about 12 states assess personal property taxes on cars based on assessed value.
CT would be one of those 12 states.

Old 12-20-2009, 04:47 PM

2,172 posts, read 6,884,992 times
Tennessee does not have a personal property tax on cars or anything else. I pay $30 to register with an added $35 County "Wheel Tax" for a total of $65 a year. Sure beats the $200 something I was paying per year in Georgia and Maryland.
Not all TN counties charge the wheel tax and it's higher in some.
A lot of states also charge personal property taxes on boats, jet skis, RVs, etc.
Odd that no one has collected this info by state. The Federal Highway Administration has some info:
Summary Of State Motor-vehicle Registration Fee Schedules 1/ - Highway Taxes and Fees 2008 - Motor Fuel & Highway Trust Fund - Policy Information - FHWA

Old 12-20-2009, 05:10 PM

2,903 posts, read 10,941,496 times
Dear Knox,

This is very good.....although I know that Florida increased their fees a lot this year. New York increased their title fee to $50.00 awhile back. It is hard to keep up with all of the changes.....

Frank

Old 12-20-2009, 05:34 PM

4,343 posts, read 6,053,473 times
If you save on automobile taxes then you'll lose somewhere else. It's almost impossible to compare states when it comes to taxes. I live in FL where we have no state income tax but we have a lot of hidden taxes. Luckily I live in a county that has taken the deflated home values into consideration and my prop taxes have fallen $1,200 in two years. Somehow I think it all equals out no matter where you pick to live.

Old 12-20-2009, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knoxgarden View Post
Tennessee does not have a personal property tax on cars or anything else. I pay $30 to register with an added $35 County "Wheel Tax" for a total of $65 a year. Sure beats the $200 something I was paying per year in Georgia and Maryland.
Not all TN counties charge the wheel tax and it's higher in some.
A lot of states also charge personal property taxes on boats, jet skis, RVs, etc.
Odd that no one has collected this info by state. The Federal Highway Administration has some info:
Summary Of State Motor-vehicle Registration Fee Schedules 1/ - Highway Taxes and Fees 2008 - Motor Fuel & Highway Trust Fund - Policy Information - FHWA
Thanks, Knox. This is good info. I, too, am surprised that no one has compiled a list of costs for titling and registering a car in various states. It can add up if you are paying a "tax" annually based on the value of the car in addition to the annual registration fees, which go up regularly.

Old 12-20-2009, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by verobeach View Post
If you save on automobile taxes then you'll lose somewhere else. It's almost impossible to compare states when it comes to taxes. I live in FL where we have no state income tax but we have a lot of hidden taxes. Luckily I live in a county that has taken the deflated home values into consideration and my prop taxes have fallen $1,200 in two years. Somehow I think it all equals out no matter where you pick to live.
I agree that it's tough to compare states based on tax burdens. It takes a lot of digging and effort, and the taxes and fees constantly change, usually upward. There are several websites that look at income and sales and inheritance taxes, but none that I've seen take into account the personal property tax issue (taxes on cars, boats, RVs, etc) as one more factor. If a retiree is living on a budget, paying several hundred dollars a year (or more) extra for car taxes, in addition to the car insurance and registration, can add substantially to a budget.

Old 12-21-2009, 01:26 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,537 posts, read 39,914,033 times
I solved the problem back when WA charged vehicle registration based on value. + high sales tax. I started driving 'beaters', now it has become a bad habit + I was not excited when WA dropped the rate to a std $35 annual fee. As I was paying $19 on my beaters, now $35 . I was less impressed that I had to pay WA sales tax on any vehicles over 2 that I brought into the state (motorcycles, RV, Boat, trailers...) These had been taxed in my previous state and were all licensed there.

WA state has been whining ever since, and ratcheting other fees (including one that was proposed to tax Displacement over 1.6L) My 5.9 Diesel Cummins would have gone from $35 / yr to over $400, and a 5.9L 6 cyl is NOT a big engine. They will 'get-us' one way or the other, rest assured.

Lots of RV folks domicile in SD (no income tax & only 1 overnight annually required for residency) and buy and register vehicles in MT (no sales tax).

Oregon (no sales tax + BIG RV dealers (like Marathon) USED to have lots of RV's registered, but they got busted. The computerized data bases are making life difficult for those who are 'stealth' . We might need to run some EMI over the area to 'clear-the-e-footprint' (hide your disc-drives in your nuke shelter!)

If C-D Had a user accessible data base of some type it would be very handy, we could use a 'sticky' that had a chart of states on page one, we could populate info w/ data important to retirees (but very tough to keep current / accurate, as locales within states can vary)

I will guess... that a state with moderate 'general' taxes on various sources is gonna be the most stable place in the long run. Look for senior income and property tax deferrals / credits. The 'consumer' society is gonna fade, and income, property, business, and sales tax revenue will all get hammered. But count on a national VAT coming. This congress is gonna get too big for it's britches, if it hasn't already proven that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or