U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2009, 03:45 PM

440 posts, read 1,332,144 times

Advertisements

Thanks Gandalara........

GLS; your right and I have not completely ruled out California. But we really don't want to be THAT close to family... If you catch my meaning.....

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2009, 05:15 PM
GLS

1,985 posts, read 4,845,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeB View Post
Thanks Gandalara........

GLS; your right and I have not completely ruled out California. But we really don't want to be THAT close to family... If you catch my meaning.....

Thanks
I have In-laws.....no explanation required. In fact, on those "required" Holiday visits, my wife makes me promise not to be myself.

Old 12-29-2009, 07:14 AM

440 posts, read 1,332,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS View Post
I have In-laws.....no explanation required. In fact, on those "required" Holiday visits, my wife makes me promise not to be myself.
Ha ha ha....... GLS we are on the same page....

Old 01-03-2010, 10:21 AM
mlb

3,179 posts, read 2,852,979 times
We're 10 years from retirement as well.... and live in Northern Utah. Hubbie is an LA native - I was born in Wisconsin - and was a Californian for 15 years (where I met him). We moved to Utah 20 years ago - and in 10 - we'll be looking for a "mediterranean" climate - where we can be outside all of the year.

Hubbie is wanting to return to California? Me? I think we cannot afford it.

We have been traveling to surrounding states (AZ, NM, NV and Oregon) looking for good options.... we may need to revisit some of these places - just to get a better feel.

But what we found for us (YMMV - everyone is different):

1. AZ is just too hot for us. Hubbie is temperature impaired. Anything over 80 and below 25 is problematic for him. We found the Phoenix are to be an LA-wasteland. We still want wide open spaces.....and no neighbors ontop of us..

2. New Mexico - the poverty in the state is a problem. I would be concerned about health care services, social services, etc. for us as elderly people. Yes, it's a beautiful state - but access to senior services are more important.

3. Oregon. We traveled from Salt Lake to Bend to the coast this past year. Oregon currently is in a downward fiscal deathspiral. 19% unemployment in Bend. Not much better elsewhere. Can they come back? Certainly. What I was turned off by tho - was that Bend was out in the middle of NOWHERE. I felt like it was a city trying to be something it wasn't. I just can't explain it. The other turnoff was the prevalence of FOG. And Rain. I am not a duck.

4. Nevada. We know Nevada well. Both the north and south. We've driven, traveled, vacationed and "conferenced" in both the Vegas and Reno area. I liked the Carson Valley area - a stone's throw from Tahoe. But it may be on the rise - and in 10 years - unaffordable. Reno? Would be like living in an ashtray. There's no civic pride there.... you can see it everywhere. Vegas registers too high on the temp scale - even tho their winters are colder than people think.

5. So we're left with exploring California once again. We both still have family there - and friends. Hubbie is looking for semi-rural in Southern Cal outside of San Diego. For me? I'm just LOST there. Means nothing to me. I want him to sell it to me. We've only just begun.

So there you have it - it takes a LONG time to find a place. Even then - there are variables and factors (money, services, etc.) that can ax any choice. My advice? Start early and travel often to the places you THINK you might want to plant yourself. They may sound wonderful - but when you get there - NOT be a good choice.

Old 01-03-2010, 07:30 PM

30,684 posts, read 33,450,741 times
I'd look at the small towns way up north in CA or Nevada. Depending on where your family is it's far enough away to prevent drop-ins and unnecessary visits, but close enough to get to things when you want to. Great weather also.

Old 01-03-2010, 08:31 PM

6,212 posts, read 4,718,283 times
Bend is in the middle of nowhere and also way too COLD. Try Medford-Ashland. The climate is pretty good with the exception of a bit too much cloud cover in the winter. Summer temps get up into the 90's but the humidity is low.

Old 01-04-2010, 09:04 AM

16,133 posts, read 20,814,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS View Post
Remember that for the entire winter the passes can be closed across the Sierras, so you would wind up going up to Tahoe or down to Barstow anyway. I'd think about the West Coast of Arizona.

Old 01-04-2010, 01:46 PM

4,571 posts, read 7,054,651 times
Really, SoCal is the only place in the US where you would find mediterranean weather.

Old 01-04-2010, 02:05 PM

19,871 posts, read 22,775,386 times
In my opinion SE Arizona has the best climate in the mainland US (aside from the coastal areas of SoCal). Look into Sierra Vista, Benson etc. Unlike SW Arizona, SE Arizona is at a bit higher elevation so the climate is much milder. Sierra Vista has summer highs in the low 90's and upper 80's and winter highs in the low 60's - and you are only a single days' drive to LA etc.

Ken
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or