U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2009, 03:43 PM

440 posts, read 1,332,617 times

Advertisements

We moved to Tennessee 2 Years ago after we retired from our jobs in California. We have discovered that we miss family and friends in California so much that we want to move back closer. But not to California. I (we) have been searching and searching and trying to figure out which state would be the best to move to.

We have a 5th wheel and love to travel, but we know someday we will not be able to travel and will need a place to live. We are both 60 and are doing OK financially. Not well off by any stretch of the word. We would like something in the $150,000.00 range that had RV parking. It could be in a small town or a big town. It don't matter as long as it is somewhere nearer then Tennessee is to California.

Thank You All For Your Suggestions....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2009, 03:46 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,119 posts, read 7,568,813 times
sounds like your going to Nevada.............

Old 12-27-2009, 04:00 PM

3,517 posts, read 12,051,697 times
CA stretches quite a ways north and south. Depending on where the family is in CA, your choices are pretty much AZ, NV, and OR for next door states.

Old 12-27-2009, 04:01 PM

Yes we have looked into Nevada, Fernley to be exact. Fernley is 30 miles east of Reno/Sparks area and it is in the running for sure. But I want to get other ideas.

We did a spread sheet and Oregon came in pretty good to, as did New Mexico.

I know the geography, would like specific areas....; cost of living, taxes, climate, life styles, people in general...

Old 12-27-2009, 05:57 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,569 posts, read 39,952,759 times
I suggest far western NV, there are a few nice areas (mostly northern, Carson City area). I would not consider OR due to 9% income tax with low thresh-hold + very poor state finances. (I.e. costs of borrowing and maintaining services in OR will increase)

Title says western 1/3rd, but you might want to 'pull-in-the-reins'. Energy costs will be a barrier before long, and I find anymore than 3-4 hrs away from family reduces visits to 1-3x / yr. I do like our current bargains from Portland, OR to Sacramento for $39 each way. (I live in WA state (no income tax), but only 20 min from PDX (no sales tax))

Old 12-27-2009, 06:14 PM

Thanks for your input Rabbit....... Boy this is no easy decision.... Good thing I am stating well before spring.....

Tesaje: Family is right smack dab in the middle of California.... Modesto Area

Old 12-27-2009, 07:40 PM

3,517 posts, read 12,051,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeB View Post
Thanks for your input Rabbit....... Boy this is no easy decision.... Good thing I am stating well before spring.....

Tesaje: Family is right smack dab in the middle of California.... Modesto Area
I lived in Reno once and it wasn't a bad place at all if you don't have gambling problems. Anywhere else will be hard to get to mid CA - the mountains are harder to get over everywhere else. It is also a pretty setting with the Sierras right to the west.

Old 12-27-2009, 08:04 PM

6,253 posts, read 4,731,924 times
I am in a similar situation except not yet retired. We need to move from the high cost of Long Island and are looking for the western States. My wife has relatives in San Fran and Portland. We took a look at Portland but that is out for reasons of climate and the Portland costs, crowding and "quirkiness" to put it kindly. We are looking forward to doing a lot of RV camping. Southern Utah and all of the national parks are high on the visit list, but not on the list for permanent living. We are looking for moderate climate, proximity to healthcare, reasonable costs, and at least some hint of arts and culture. So far Medford-Ashland is high on our list. We did not look at Reno so I have no first hand knowledge, but that is probably the only area in Nevada we would consider. We pretty much ruled out Utah. SLC is too cold and St George is just plain and bleak. We lived for several years in Mesa and are not interested in returning the Arizona. If southern Oregon drops off the list, then I think we would look at Albuquerque.

Sometimes we talk seriously about very aggressive downsizing, putting stuff in storage and living in an RV for several years. Of course, that mean different things to different people. Our idea of RV life is a pickup truck camper and boondocking in remote areas.

Old 12-28-2009, 10:46 AM
GLS

1,985 posts, read 4,847,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeB View Post
We moved to Tennessee 2 Years ago after we retired from our jobs in California. We have discovered that we miss family and friends in California so much that we want to move back closer. But not to California. I (we) have been searching and searching and trying to figure out which state would be the best to move to.

We have a 5th wheel and love to travel, but we know someday we will not be able to travel and will need a place to live. We are both 60 and are doing OK financially. Not well off by any stretch of the word. We would like something in the $150,000.00 range that had RV parking. It could be in a small town or a big town. It don't matter as long as it is somewhere nearer then Tennessee is to California.

Thank You All For Your Suggestions....
If you, "miss family and friends in California so much that we want to move back closer", I wouldn't rule out California AUTOMATICALLY. At least include it in your cost analysis just for objectivity. Consider that it will cost you travel from Arizona, New Mexico, Nevada, etc. as well as limit the number of trips per year. In addition, if you are prepared to uproot yourself again for the draw of friends and family, your quality of life may be better if you can interact on a daily basis. Modesto and the entire Central Valley have been devastated by the economy and you can pick up a nice house for cheap.

To reiterate, I can think of a 1000 reasons NOT to move to California (and I live here), but I wouldn't limit your options. Good luck.

Old 12-28-2009, 11:28 AM

8,093 posts, read 13,232,688 times
Closest would be the area you already targeted - Fernley/Reno/Sparks/Carson City.

Maybe download blank income tax forms from Nevada, Arizona, New Mexico, and Oregon. Compare and see how each state affects you financially.

Do a Pro/Con list for each state and see how it affects you emotionally

Me, I favor the Payson area of Arizona, the Show Low area of Arizona, and the Ruidoso area of New Mexico. But I'm nuts for pine trees
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or