U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-02-2010, 07:57 AM
 
1,050 posts, read 3,012,775 times
Reputation: 1186

Advertisements

Husband just got his navy retirement check. They got a raise, but the check is smaller than last year. Can't wait to see what his paycheck renders in a couple of days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-02-2010, 08:09 AM
 
Location: Sierra Vista, AZ
16,133 posts, read 20,852,364 times
Reputation: 8293
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jude1948 View Post
Husband just got his navy retirement check. They got a raise, but the check is smaller than last year. Can't wait to see what his paycheck renders in a couple of days.
1. I wasn't aware of any "raise" for retirees, mine stayed the same

2. So did my taxes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-02-2010, 08:51 AM
 
8,224 posts, read 11,942,304 times
Reputation: 18088
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
1. I wasn't aware of any "raise" for retirees, mine stayed the same

2. So did my taxes
My wife is a federal retiree and her net annuity payment increased due to an approximately 10% reduction in her federal income tax withholdings. She received a statement in the mail from OPM last week that informed her that the amount of federal income tax withheld from her annuity has changed because the IRS tax withholding rates have changed for payments made after 12/31/09.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2010, 12:50 PM
 
Location: Sierra Vista, AZ
16,133 posts, read 20,852,364 times
Reputation: 8293
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
My wife is a federal retiree and her net annuity payment increased due to an approximately 10% reduction in her federal income tax withholdings. She received a statement in the mail from OPM last week that informed her that the amount of federal income tax withheld from her annuity has changed because the IRS tax withholding rates have changed for payments made after 12/31/09.
So she is getting more?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2010, 01:19 PM
 
Location: Forests of Maine
30,721 posts, read 49,529,915 times
Reputation: 19162
Okay I just checked Navy Federal. My paycheck for 30Dec09 was exactly the same as it has been all of this past year.

If my pension changes at all, it will not be seen until 30Jan10.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2010, 02:12 PM
 
8,224 posts, read 11,942,304 times
Reputation: 18088
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Okay I just checked Navy Federal. My paycheck for 30Dec09 was exactly the same as it has been all of this past year.

If my pension changes at all, it will not be seen until 30Jan10.
You may have missed my post yesterday, the pertinent part of which I'll repeat for you here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
...the IRS tax withholding rates have changed for payments made after 12/31/09.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2010, 02:30 PM
 
Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,696 posts, read 40,074,231 times
Reputation: 23849
2010 is a great yr to die (no estate tax limits).
Also get rid of your LTCG investments to enjoy low rates
remember the ROTH rollover holiday too (thread on this forum)

2011 is gonna bring tax carnage
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2010, 03:00 PM
 
Location: Forests of Maine
30,721 posts, read 49,529,915 times
Reputation: 19162
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
You may have missed my post yesterday, the pertinent part of which I'll repeat for you here:
Okay then how did:
"Husband just got his navy retirement check. They got a raise, but the check is smaller than last year. Can't wait to see what his paycheck renders in a couple of days."

Nobody has gotten a paycheck for 2010 yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2010, 03:26 PM
 
8,224 posts, read 11,942,304 times
Reputation: 18088
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Okay then how did:
"Husband just got his navy retirement check. They got a raise, but the check is smaller than last year. Can't wait to see what his paycheck renders in a couple of days."

Nobody has gotten a paycheck for 2010 yet.

Huh????

I don't know about the military, but federal civilian retirees have already received their January annuity payment. It was credited on 1/1/10.

Here is a thread devoted to that topic from another website specifically devoted to federal retiree pay:

Holiday Pay date delay - FederalSoup.com - Page 1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2010, 04:19 PM
 
Location: Forests of Maine
30,721 posts, read 49,529,915 times
Reputation: 19162
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Huh????

I don't know about the military, but federal civilian retirees have already received their January annuity payment. It was credited on 1/1/10.
My bad, I had thought the Op in this thread is about Military retirees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jude1948 View Post
Husband just got his navy retirement check. They got a raise, but the check is smaller than last year. Can't wait to see what his paycheck renders in a couple of days.
The military retirement pay comes out on the 30th of each month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top