U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 02:28 PM

3,088 posts, read 4,680,891 times

Advertisements

I am more than "eligible". . . but am in a work situation that is taking a real toll on both my body and my temperment. . .so this is the year. . . September at the earliest, Dec at the latest. Home paid for and well established community of friends, so am staying where I am. . . will have to either take part time work or do self-employed part time. . . which is probably what I will do, lots of people have been asking me to help with their yards ( I am a horticulturist) and I have done it for free for friends and family, but when I quit the day job, I can and will require renumeration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2010, 04:45 AM

956 posts, read 3,593,424 times
cap1717:
I can appreciate your situation. I have worked in the landscape and grounds care field for over 35 years. I figured out early that my body would never hold up doing landscaping for a living, so at the first chance I got into supervision. I've been with 2 different colleges for over 28 years. I replaced the physical demands with "political" challenges. They weigh on you also, they take a different toll on your body. My wife and I are looking to retire within 2 years and I've already decided to make lawn care / landscaping a part of my retirement. I enjoy it and think it will be great minus the pressures of doing it for a living.

Old 01-14-2010, 07:23 AM

6,256 posts, read 4,737,090 times
I hope to retire and not have to work for pay. I have more than enough interests to keep me active. In looking at the finances, I would be better off working for a few more months, than I would working part time for several years at a low pay rate. Before you quit your full time job, it might be worthwhile to estimate how much money you expect to make in "retirement" and whether that will be worthwhile. I guess if you enjoy the work, then that changes the considerations.

Old 01-14-2010, 07:31 AM

3,088 posts, read 4,680,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtom45 View Post
cap1717:
I can appreciate your situation. I have worked in the landscape and grounds care field for over 35 years. I figured out early that my body would never hold up doing landscaping for a living, so at the first chance I got into supervision. I've been with 2 different colleges for over 28 years. I replaced the physical demands with "political" challenges. They weigh on you also, they take a different toll on your body. My wife and I are looking to retire within 2 years and I've already decided to make lawn care / landscaping a part of my retirement. I enjoy it and think it will be great minus the pressures of doing it for a living.
Thanks for the response Rtom. . . Here in the Phoenix area, there is an awful ot of misogony in the landscape field, and being a woman ( and a physicaly small woman) has not helped me at all in this field. Regardless, having worked with most of the renowned professionals in the field of arid region landscape in the area has contributed to me being considered somewhat of an "expert" in the area.. . at least among those "in the know". I am in a management position, of course, but am so understaffed that I must do a lot of the physical work myself, if it is to get done. . . I am counting the days until retirement!

Old 01-14-2010, 07:51 AM

7,136 posts, read 11,017,375 times
I am planning on retiring this year as well. We'll be preparing our house here so we can sell it and getting ready to move to the sunshine state. The prospect of no more snow, scraping windshields, and shoveling makes me absolutely giddy. Good luck to all.

Old 01-14-2010, 02:51 PM

42 posts, read 142,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
I hope to retire and not have to work for pay. I have more than enough interests to keep me active. In looking at the finances, I would be better off working for a few more months, than I would working part time for several years at a low pay rate. Before you quit your full time job, it might be worthwhile to estimate how much money you expect to make in "retirement" and whether that will be worthwhile. I guess if you enjoy the work, then that changes the considerations.
I plan on working part time until my wife is able to retire (about 4 years). It's not that I have to work and it's not the "low pay rate" issue with us. My income from part-time employment will be our fun and travel money. We plan to enjoy life! Hopefully, (although no one can predict the future) we have prepared well enough for retirement and can survive without the stress and worry of financial issues. We're not wealthy by any means, but by the time she retires our small remaining mortgage will be paid in full and we have no other debt. We have given this a great deal of thought and feel comfortable with our decision. Besides, maybe working a few hours a week will keep me out of trouble.

Old 01-25-2010, 02:20 PM

85 posts, read 209,646 times
Well, I finally turned in my written notice that I will retire at the end of June. Now they can begin the search for my replacement -- and I can begin look foward to not working. After 45 years, I'm more than ready to let someone else do it.

However, our retirement plans are still a bit up-in-the-air. Late last year it appeared that my DH would be forced into retirement earlier than he wanted. If so, we planned to sell our house this Spring and move to South Carolina. Suddenly it appears his job is not going to disappear afterall, so now my DH wants to wait until he's 66 to retire (9/2011).

Because of the buyers incentives, we're readying the house for sale now. We've decided to test the market. If we get a decent offer, we'll sell and move to a small rental home until DH retires. However, if it doesn't sell by the end of the incentives, we're likely to take it back off the market until next Spring. Real Estate is moving pretty slow here in the mid-Hudson Valley and, of course, prices are much lower than we anticipated.

I'm a bit disappointed that it's not all likely to come together this year, but it does give me additional time to make more visits to South Carolina in hopes of deciding between Greater Greenville and Greater Columbia areas as our final destination.

Let me add my best wishes to everyone else that joins this group. May your transition go smoothly and the results make you happy!

Old 01-25-2010, 08:21 PM

28,242 posts, read 39,908,153 times
We went over our retirement numbers again tonight and I'm going to start taking SS this year instead of next. The increase I would get by waiting a year isn't necessary. I will continue taking care of my major clients until we are ready to move, but that I will keep to part-time.

All of it will go into savings until Mrs. Tek retires next fall, then it will be used to bring the old homestead up to snuff.

You know what has been the weirdest part so far? Adding an appointment to my Outlook calendar next month to start the application process for SS.

Old 01-26-2010, 03:16 PM

14,253 posts, read 15,337,177 times
We retire on June 30. Both me and Mrs Jaggy work for the same company and we are both retiring on the same day, me after 25 years with the company an she after 33 years.

I'm going to start by doing very little for a few weeks and we have a cruise booked for October. After that ....... we will see.

Old 01-27-2010, 07:31 PM

15,149 posts, read 19,767,371 times
Congrats, TekFreek and Jaggy!!

TekFreek, I had originally planned on working for another year, just for the increased SS. However, it's time for me to go and let my new boss bring in his own supervisor.

Jaggy, how wonderful that you and Mrs Jaggy are retiring the same day. Did you meet at that company?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement