U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 07:30 AM

28,323 posts, read 40,116,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasfirewheel View Post
Congrats, TekFreek and Jaggy!!

TekFreek, I had originally planned on working for another year, just for the increased SS. However, it's time for me to go and let my new boss bring in his own supervisor.
Thanks, and congrats to you, too.

While I am going to start collecting SS I am still going to work some. As long as we live here I can see no reason to completely cut off that income stream.

I have one client I will continue to take care of no matter where we live. As long as I have Internet access and a post office I can do the work for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2010, 01:59 PM

86 posts, read 153,525 times
After seeing MMofB's new thread about his retirement I decided to go back and drag the Retiring in 2010 thread back to the present. I looks like MMofB and Johanna25 (saw her anouncement on another thread) have both retired on their dates.

How are the rest of you doing??

For me I'm 55 and eligible to retire any time now. I haven't picked a date yet. But now it looks like 'the company' might decide for me. The on an off again rumor about consolidating is back on in a big way. Hopefully for us older employees it will mean a big severance payment to leave. Even if there is no severance I'm not going to stick around and work in the new consolidated office (less people, more work)

Old 03-05-2010, 02:22 PM

28,323 posts, read 40,116,273 times
The taxes are done and I applied online for SS. First check to show up in July. I've written the "goodbye" letter I'm sending to the majority of my clients and I'm letting it simmer for a week before sending it. That allows me the time to think about it and reread the wording. Cutoff of services at the end of May.

The rest are mostly businesses and I'm waiting longer to cut the cord. I'll give them more notice so they can find a replacement. I sure haven't found anyone I'm comfortable referring.

It is truly a strange feeling that I am now on my way to collecting SS. Just doesn't seem like I'm old enough.

Old 03-06-2010, 08:14 PM

183 posts, read 313,862 times
I just saw this thread. I am retiring from the Nevada Department of Transportation on, appropriately enough, July 4th! Actually, I am only semi-retiring. I have two teenage sons, so as long as they are in school and I am pretty young (43), I am going to work part=time and maybe start up a business. I know some folks say that's not retirement, so I call it semi-retiring. Still, I am retiring from my career, and now I can do what I want when I want. I can't wait.

Congrats to everyone else that is retiring or already has this year!

Old 05-30-2010, 02:04 PM

11 posts, read 17,380 times
Default Another 2010

I had thought seriously about retiring when I was first eligible in 2009. 2008 was a very hard year both personally and professionally and knowing there was a date to make it to helped keep me going. Then as my eligibility date got closer things started unraveling at work and I found I just couldn't leave that way. Now my plan is to leave at the end of this year. I've told my boss my plans, I've told my friends and family, I've been broadly hinting it with all my co-workers. And now I'm putting it here in writing.

Someone in my office retired the first of April this year and I thought that seemed like a great time to go. The days were getting longer and you could tell Spring was on the way. So, my backup date is April 1, 2011. April Fool's Day - hmmm. I'm not even hinting that I have a backup date as I really am planning for the end of this year.

Really

Old 05-31-2010, 06:37 AM

4,690 posts, read 5,563,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TopDown View Post
Someone in my office retired the first of April this year and I thought that seemed like a great time to go. The days were getting longer and you could tell Spring was on the way. So, my backup date is April 1, 2011. April Fool's Day - hmmm.
I started my career on April Fool's Day in 1974, and I remember thinking, is this a good sign, or bad?

Turned out good for me - 34 years later, I was able to retire at age 55. And I would have retired on April 1st, but for my federal pension, it worked out better that I retire on March 28th ... and that's what I did.

Whatever day you end up retiring will be one of the best days of your life!

Old 05-31-2010, 07:13 AM

23,605 posts, read 31,646,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenGene View Post
I started my career on April Fool's Day in 1974, and I remember thinking, is this a good sign, or bad?

Turned out good for me - 34 years later, I was able to retire at age 55. And I would have retired on April 1st, but for my federal pension, it worked out better that I retire on March 28th ... and that's what I did.

Whatever day you end up retiring will be one of the best days of your life!
Hear! Hear! I retired on Dec. 30, 2008, which was also my wife's and my anniversary, so I only have to remember one date for two important events. That was a year and a half earlier than originally planned but given the economy, it worked out perfectly and the peace of mind is priceless. Decidedly one of the best days ever!

Old 05-31-2010, 01:34 PM

11,798 posts, read 22,067,816 times
My SS payments start in August. I'm not completely retired, and as a professional musician, I intend to still play occasionally, partly because SS payments won't be enough and partly because I enjoy it. Since the music business is circling the drain, it all worked out for the best.

Old 05-31-2010, 01:44 PM

3,517 posts, read 12,086,046 times
Well, I can't quite agree that the day I retired was the happiest of my life - it was so much work clearing out! But every day after has been beyond wonderful! Whoo Hoo!

Old 05-31-2010, 07:47 PM

14,018 posts, read 17,848,723 times
Default Encouragement

TekFreek wrote: "We think we're ready, but doubts keep surfacing about staying busy. We do not want to be one of those couples that end up sitting around doing nothing in retirement. We would go crazy!!! We know we have plenty of things to keep ourselves busy, but will it be enough? We are going to find out."

If the things you have in mind are not "enough", then you can create more after retirement. The road map does not have to be complete beforehand. I know you won't "end up sitting around doing nothing" because you say you wouldn't like that. Part of the adventure can be exploring new things, and if you hit some potholes along the way, take some wrong turns, there is no harm done because that's part of the way forward.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement