U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2010, 09:20 AM

8,195 posts, read 11,908,623 times

Advertisements

It's time we got our own thread now that this is our year!

Okay, 2010 about-to-be retirees: Sound Off!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2010, 10:16 AM

364 posts, read 552,868 times
Default 28 February

I'm going out February 28th, my first day of eligibility. My townhouse here in Upper Marlboro, MD goes on the market Tuesday. I'll be moving to my place next door to my mom on Topsail Island, NC. I'm a bit nervous about the real estate market, but it's time for me to go.

Old 01-02-2010, 10:25 AM

15,149 posts, read 19,752,622 times
Me! After 42 years of working (19 at the current company), I'm retiring this year. I havent given them a definite date yet but I did tell them it would probably be late summer.

I've always worked hard...before my stroke three years ago, I was working 80-90 hours per week (no exaggeration), staying at the office every night until at least midnight and putting in 24 hours straight every Friday, as well as working almost all day every Saturday and Sunday. Some people dont think I'll have an easy time of retiring but they just dont know me.

During my stroke recovery I became aware of the great need for people to help the elderly and disabled get to medical appointments, do grocery shopping and run errands in general. After I retire, I'll be doing just that. I wont miss working in an office at all and it will feel good to do small, but important, things for those who need a chauffeur and someone to check on them regularly.

Old 01-02-2010, 02:25 PM

2,070 posts, read 2,034,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasfirewheel View Post
Me! After 42 years of working (19 at the current company), I'm retiring this year. I havent given them a definite date yet but I did tell them it would probably be late summer.

I've always worked hard...before my stroke three years ago, I was working 80-90 hours per week (no exaggeration), staying at the office every night until at least midnight and putting in 24 hours straight every Friday, as well as working almost all day every Saturday and Sunday. Some people dont think I'll have an easy time of retiring but they just dont know me.

During my stroke recovery I became aware of the great need for people to help the elderly and disabled get to medical appointments, do grocery shopping and run errands in general. After I retire, I'll be doing just that. I wont miss working in an office at all and it will feel good to do small, but important, things for those who need a chauffeur and someone to check on them regularly.
Congratulations! Both for recovering from the stroke and for having a plan to reach outside yourself and help others after you retire!

Old 01-02-2010, 09:02 PM

6,241 posts, read 4,725,740 times
With any luck this is my last year of work. House goes on the market in the Spring. When it sells, I quit and move from the East coast to the West. I am hoping to be out of here by the end of the Summer. Still have lots of downsizing, home repairs and painting to be done.

Old 01-02-2010, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasfirewheel View Post
What a wonderful idea! Reps for you! I think that I'll look into that as well once I move to Las Vegas. As someone who was stranded at home for several months at a time while recuperating from surgeries and other maladies, I can certainly relate. Fortunately, I had friends to rely on as well as being able to order groceries over the Internet to be delivered.

Old 01-02-2010, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johanna25 View Post
I'm going out February 28th, my first day of eligibility.
My official date is still February 3rd, but I'm leaning toward working another month. We are scheduled to close on our new house in Las Vegas on February 5th, but rather than try to rush around this month to get everything lined up and timed perfectly, I think that we'll take our time and maybe schedule the move for the middle of next month. I would fly out with my wife to meet the movers, help her get situated, and then fly back to D.C. alone to complete the month's service and retire on March 3rd instead.

Old 01-03-2010, 02:17 AM

71,520 posts, read 71,694,121 times
Can we start one for 2011? thats me

Old 01-03-2010, 06:41 PM

126 posts, read 138,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
Can we start one for 2011? thats me
and me! 12/31/2011

Old 01-03-2010, 07:57 PM

15,149 posts, read 19,752,622 times
Thanks for the compliments but I'm doing this as much for me as for those who need it. I have only one sister nearby. After my stroke I needed twice-daily rides to therapy sessions in order to avoid having to move to a therapy facility. I also needed someone to drive me to 3-4 doctor appointments each week, as well as simple things like groceries and prescriptions. I couldnt ask my sister for all that so I relied on cabs a lot. I saw many stroke survivors in therapy who had spouses to drive them but I know there have to be just as many who dont have anyone on whom they can rely for long-term (six months or more) chauffering.

My fiercely-independent heart breaks when I think of the elderly or disabled who are trying to stay in their homes instead of going into assisted living. All they need is someone to deliver food, medicine and reassurance that, should something happen to them, their pets wont starve before someone finds them. And daily interaction with another person would be good for their mental/emotional/physical health too.

Sorry for going off-topic. For years, I've wondered what I'd do in retirement. I knew I wanted to volunteer somehow but didnt know what to do. The stroke was a good learning experience, as I may never have thought about helping the elderly and disabled otherwise.

Edited to correct grammatical typo.

Last edited by TFW46; 01-03-2010 at 08:08 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement