U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 06:52 PM

1,450 posts, read 3,790,840 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelena View Post
According to the Brazos County Appraisal District the sum of the taxes on residential property results in a median rate of 1.9%.
Thanks, perhaps I misread it, from the website, will check again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2010, 08:58 AM

9,321 posts, read 16,590,635 times
I lost my link to a web site for all of Texas counties and the tax rates. I do recall Smith county being one of the lowest we could find. Tyler TX is one of the larger cities in this county. The next was Comal, which New Braunfels sits and it is a cute German influenced town. We were leaning towards New Bruanfels due to its close proximity to San Antonio.

Old 01-04-2010, 09:45 AM

9,807 posts, read 13,469,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelena View Post
According to the Brazos County Appraisal District the sum of the taxes on residential property results in a median rate of 1.9%.

I have researched Texas a lot for retirement/re-location, and couldn't find anyplace in Texas where the property taxes weren't higher than other states I considered.

For many retirees, lack of state income tax will not benefit them as much to offset the high real estate taxes.

Maybe for a worker earning a good income, but not for many retirees.

Old 01-04-2010, 10:01 AM

31 posts, read 67,698 times
Default Alot of people retire in the....

I am from Kerrville tx About an hour from san antionio. It is in the TX hill country. A ton of people retire in the hill country. Its very pretty, lots of hills, lots of rivers, and lots of retired people. Kerrville has about 28,000 people in its city limits so its not super small but its not big either. There is also Boerne tx which is about 15 min from san antonio and Boerne is very nice too.

Old 01-04-2010, 10:41 AM

48,516 posts, read 83,999,418 times
You need to look at the total cost of living not just one tax. In many areas of the country fees alone mean much higher cost. Generally in Texas those areas with alot of industry are the cheapest to live in as they pay a huge amount of taxes. Those with less of course taxes need to be higher.There are plenty of sites that compare cost of living and Texas comes out pretty well in these comparisons to other states.

Old 01-04-2010, 12:00 PM

4,610 posts, read 10,208,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marylee54 View Post
We're looking at retiring in 5 years and are considering Texas. Where would be a good city to retire in TX---Austin, San Antonio, Dallas?
What are you looking for in a home and area? Any views? Lakefront or lake view? Golf course front? Hill country view?

(We are view people so that is always the first thing we look for when looking for a property.)

I don't know if you need a certain kind of health care either? Look into the health care in the area you are interested in.

Tax wise....We came from California and in CA property tax was low but you have state tax in CA. So with the higher property taxes in Texas and no state tax in TX it was a "wash" with us regarding taxes. We end up paying out the same amount in either place.

We are early retirees. But if you are working in Texas and you have a large salary, then you would be doing better in Texas tax wise with the no state tax. Plus...cost of homes are cheaper in Texas. So it depends on your situation.

Back to my question... Are you looking for any certain views?

Old 01-04-2010, 07:31 PM

2,847 posts, read 1,962,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
I have researched Texas a lot for retirement/re-location, and couldn't find anyplace in Texas where the property taxes weren't higher than other states I considered.

For many retirees, lack of state income tax will not benefit them as much to offset the high real estate taxes.

Maybe for a worker earning a good income, but not for many retirees.

Our millage tax rate is $2.11, not bad for Texas. See previous post for location.

Old 01-04-2010, 10:35 PM

48,516 posts, read 83,999,418 times
Do not just look at the atx rate but also the excemptions given by any countries which can make a huge difference. Some even freeze the rate when you get 65. besides that the cost of simialr homes can make a uge difference in what you pay ofr what level of home.Homes itexas overall are very well priced which vrings alot of retirees here even with the higher tax rates in the most desirable areas.

Old 01-04-2010, 10:57 PM

9,807 posts, read 13,469,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliveandwellinSA View Post
Our millage tax rate is $2.11, not bad for Texas. See previous post for location.

sorry,----"not bad for Texas"--- doesn't hack it.

If you would have stated ---" not bad when compared to other warm weather states"---- it would have gotten me interested.

Compare real estate taxes for Texarkana TX vs Texarkana AR.( or areas near them on both sides of the border )

Old 01-05-2010, 10:38 PM

2,847 posts, read 1,962,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
sorry,----"not bad for Texas"--- doesn't hack it.

If you would have stated ---" not bad when compared to other warm weather states"---- it would have gotten me interested.

Compare real estate taxes for Texarkana TX vs Texarkana AR.( or areas near them on both sides of the border )
If that doesn't hack it move elsewhere. Simple.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement