Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2010, 09:40 AM

1,450 posts, read 4,250,629 times

Advertisements

We're looking at a piece of investment property we could buy and rent out now, with the idea in mind to retire there in about 5 years. Its located near the university, close enough to attract a staff or faculty member for a LT-lease, also, far away enough from hub of activities to provide a nice residence for a recently retired couple later.

So, how does college Station/Bryan rank as a place to retire to?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2010, 10:50 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,436,896 times
LOL marylee54..I just responded to your other post about the "big" cities in Texas.
Hard to compare the likes of Dallas/Austin/San Antonio to Bryan/College Station but then again, you are in the process of figuring out what you want.

I'm near Austin now but plan to retire in about 2-3 years and will be moving about 45 minutes away from College Station to a more rural area. I'm powering down and looking to get away from the big cities but want to be close enough to amenities for when I want them.

College Station is your typical university type town but it does have the big amenities with big box stores. A&M is a good university system and while it doesn't get the attention UT does, it's a solid university and provides a good economy for the city. It was also ranked the most educated city in 2006 I believe.

Here's a link to the local paper:
The Eagle - Bryan/College Station, Texas | News, Weather, Business, and Aggie Sports

Old 01-11-2010, 03:51 PM

252 posts, read 724,114 times
I disagree regarding A&M not getting as much attention as UT. In football, yes, but academically they are pretty much on the same page.

Personally, it really depends on what you want to do. I don't think the B/CS area would be the ideal place to retire; to me there isn't enough there to do. Besides, I wouldn't think living right next to the university would be an ideal place for retirement.

Old 01-12-2010, 09:56 AM

2 posts, read 5,854 times
Have you considered looking into the GO TEXAN Certified Retirement Community Program? The website is www.RetireInTexas.org. Through the program, cities and counties interested in attracting retirees demonstrate to the Texas Department of Agriculture they can meet the needs and lifestyles of retirees to become designated and marketed by the State of Texas as a desirable retirement destination. They are also on Facebook, Retire In Texas, where they announce new communities as they are certified, have pictures of certified communities and post community information. Their website also has information regarding Texas such as veteran information and military bases; state taxes; a listing of various agencies that pertain to arts, culture, business development, higher education, health care, recreation, etc. Texas is a great place to retire! Forbes.com rated the Texas economy as the best in the country and has identified many cities in Texas as the best in the country for jobs.

Old 01-21-2010, 07:37 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,017,781 times
Interesting. I lived in TX for a long time and I've been to B/CS quite a few times. To each his own but I think it would be rather dull. I'm much more attracted to the Hill Country or Austin areas. Ever been to Round Rock?

Old 01-21-2010, 09:11 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,810,437 times
Just remmeebr that A& M is about as conservative a unioversity has there is in texas. If that meets your liking; then go for it.

Old 01-23-2010, 12:50 PM

252 posts, read 724,114 times
Quote:
Interesting. I lived in TX for a long time and I've been to B/CS quite a few times. To each his own but I think it would be rather dull. I'm much more attracted to the Hill Country or Austin areas. Ever been to Round Rock?
My thoughts exactly (except the traffic in Round Rock is probably way too high for retirement). I lived in the Austin area/Hill Country before I went to school at A&M and honestly, outside of my friends at A&M, College Station and the Brazos Valley was very boring. There wasn't even that many scenic roads around there for motorcycle trips.

There's far more things to do within driving distance in the Hill Country.

Old 01-23-2010, 07:56 PM

5,641 posts, read 24,943,221 times
I have spent many many weekends in CS (son at A&M, used to race at TWS) and always found it a pleasant place to be except for the summer heat.

Old 01-30-2010, 09:53 AM

360 posts, read 1,532,594 times
Default We considered it, but decided against...

We wanted out of SoCal big city living, but weren't sure what size town or city would be best. Loved the university (DH wanted to return to college in retirement), but we felt that the location was a little too remote for us, scenery blah, and not enough things to do that we liked. We ended up in Huntsville, AL (population about 170,000) and now that I've been here a while, I do occasionally pine for somewhere a little bit bigger with more amenities. Looking back, we definitely would have been miserable in College Station. But for others more used to rural living, it might be fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement