U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 06:30 PM

11,086 posts, read 12,467,812 times

Advertisements

Go do stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2010, 06:48 PM

5,300 posts, read 4,401,072 times
Default Rock, Gem, Gold, Fossil & Treasure Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by megonow View Post
But, I'm older now and not rich. how do you keep from getting bored? no knitting, scrapbooking or crafts for me
I spent last summer hunting for gems and rock specimens. A campground in Bethel Maine trucks in tailings from a local mine, and you can buy 5-gallon buckets ($5 each) of the dirt, rock and minerals to wash off and see what's there. Colors = gems or minerals. We got lots of awesome specimens of tourlamine, beryl, kunzite, quartz, and more, and spent several days. Now that we know what to look for, we can go in other areas and look. Panning for gold in various streams (or at mine sites) is becoming big, and treasure hunting with a metal detector is also a growing hobby. Most of the Country has some version of these natural treasures to go out and learn about.

Old 01-21-2010, 07:06 PM

13,886 posts, read 25,316,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHartphotog View Post
I spent last summer hunting for gems and rock specimens. A campground in Bethel Maine trucks in tailings from a local mine, and you can buy 5-gallon buckets ($5 each) of the dirt, rock and minerals to wash off and see what's there. Colors = gems or minerals. We got lots of awesome specimens of tourlamine, beryl, kunzite, quartz, and more, and spent several days. Now that we know what to look for, we can go in other areas and look. Panning for gold in various streams (or at mine sites) is becoming big, and treasure hunting with a metal detector is also a growing hobby. Most of the Country has some version of these natural treasures to go out and learn about.
I bet that's fun. I keep reading about Nevada opals. I'd like to try that some day. And that diamond mine in Arkansas.

Old 01-27-2010, 04:32 PM

21,699 posts, read 23,658,574 times
Today at Voldemort, Inc. I attended a three hour meeting to learn a new computer program, a one hour meeting to try to implement new procedures for new busines we will be getting and spent some time putting out fires even though I didn't start them.

I am exhausted! I am getting too old for this. I can't wait until I retire when I can say "Bring on the boredom." I'll welcome it with open arms, sipping ice tea with a cat in my lap and feet propped up on my Lazy-Boy.

Old 04-16-2010, 09:22 PM

14,018 posts, read 17,732,288 times
Lots of ideas on this thread, but volunteer work has been mentioned only briefly in passing. Giving of yourself can be immensely rewarding. Of course it may take a while to find the spot that's right for you; you will probably hit some potholes and take some wrong turns. There are local schools, libraries, senior centers, shelters, and more which need help.

Old 04-17-2010, 01:26 PM

11,544 posts, read 25,993,045 times
I was forced into an early retirement and a new vocation: eldercare. My computers are networked. I read alot and write about genealogy. I can't get too far away.

Old 04-22-2010, 12:53 AM

10,234 posts, read 13,982,771 times
Man, I can't wait to retire and enjoy getting a little bored once in awhile! But to me there's a difference between bored and antsy.

My oldest brother, who's 79, is a recent widower and he's having a helluva time. He still works, which is good. But the man developed no interests for himself. He and his wife's enjoyments were usually together. And I have to admit that I simply cannot understand how he's unable to search himself for things to do. And here I am, unable to retire like I want to, with a stack of things I want to return to doing, and a few others that I want to learn (between those bouts of delicious boredom).

I don't get it.

Old 04-22-2010, 09:13 AM

183 posts, read 312,821 times
I don't mean to be dismissive, but how can anyone be bored in retirement. Those reasons everyone gives are really just excuses. Don't have much money? You could spend a lifetime exploring the area within an hour of your house. Physically limited? Exercise your mind, take a class, read, reasearch, write, draw, paint, etc. If your physical limitation is self induced (obesity, out of shape, etc.) make a point to change that. Too old? Bah! Your only as old as you act. There is always something to do even if you are advanced in age.

I am not retired until July, but already I have so many things planned to do, I know I won't get to them all. I have 4 books in my head and I am already doing research. I have a Jeep in my garage that is in the middle of a total restoration. I took up playing the guitar. I am growing a garden and I plan to bottle my own hot sauce and spaghetti sauce (for my own use). I love fly fishing and plan to do it a lot. I love golf and will play often (9 holes, walking less than $20). I am going to brew my own beer that I have never had the time and energy to do while working. I am going to travel. I have three blogs I write. I could go on and on and on.

Maybe the first thing a person who feels bored in retirement should do to banish the boredom is start pondering how to not be bored. Plenty of books to help out. If nothing else, get off the couch, go outside and take a nature walk. Watch the birds. Take pictures. Oops, you're a hiker, bird watcher and photographer. Go to a museum. Now your an art lover or historian. When something peaks your interest, pusue it, learn about it, become an expert. It's like work, but you love it for it's own sake.

Old 04-22-2010, 11:20 AM

3,517 posts, read 12,050,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfishnevada View Post
I don't mean to be dismissive, but how can anyone be bored in retirement. Those reasons everyone gives are really just excuses. Don't have much money? You could spend a lifetime exploring the area within an hour of your house. Physically limited? Exercise your mind, take a class, read, reasearch, write, draw, paint, etc. If your physical limitation is self induced (obesity, out of shape, etc.) make a point to change that. Too old? Bah! Your only as old as you act. There is always something to do even if you are advanced in age.

I am not retired until July, but already I have so many things planned to do, I know I won't get to them all. I have 4 books in my head and I am already doing research. I have a Jeep in my garage that is in the middle of a total restoration. I took up playing the guitar. I am growing a garden and I plan to bottle my own hot sauce and spaghetti sauce (for my own use). I love fly fishing and plan to do it a lot. I love golf and will play often (9 holes, walking less than $20). I am going to brew my own beer that I have never had the time and energy to do while working. I am going to travel. I have three blogs I write. I could go on and on and on.

Maybe the first thing a person who feels bored in retirement should do to banish the boredom is start pondering how to not be bored. Plenty of books to help out. If nothing else, get off the couch, go outside and take a nature walk. Watch the birds. Take pictures. Oops, you're a hiker, bird watcher and photographer. Go to a museum. Now your an art lover or historian. When something peaks your interest, pusue it, learn about it, become an expert. It's like work, but you love it for it's own sake.
Excellent points. I have almost 4 months under my belt now and I have not had a moment's boredom. I still have a long list of deferred stuff but I have also so greatly enjoyed the freedom to do what interests me. When I was a kid, my mother rejoined our whining with "only boring people get bored." I think she was right. Things to learn & explore never end. A person incapable of finding things that are interesting is probably a poor candidate for retirement.

Old 04-22-2010, 03:57 PM

27,798 posts, read 26,205,335 times
It really depends on where you retire - I can see the possibility of boredom in northern states in the middle of winter. But in Florida, I'm pretty busy all year long with sporting events, playing sports, outdoor exercise, etc.

I started retirement July 09 and can't say that I've been bored for a single day. If I ever did get bored, I have a few shelves of novels and historical books that I've always intended to read.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or