Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2010, 01:23 PM

176 posts, read 522,658 times

Advertisements

I am thinking of retiring and want to live in a downtown environment or within walking distance to shops and cafes, something with a bit of charm.

The problem: most places that have some life are too expensive for me.

Do you know of a great city/town with a vibrant downtown or great neighborhood with some charm?

I have lived in downtown Chicago and liked it but got priced out.

thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2010, 06:08 PM

438 posts, read 1,115,158 times
Are you looking for any particular climate?

Old 05-09-2010, 08:50 AM

176 posts, read 522,658 times
I would like a mild climate but not at the expense of culture.

got any ideas??? Thanks

Old 05-09-2010, 09:37 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,744,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by megonow View Post
I would like a mild climate but not at the expense of culture.

got any ideas??? Thanks
What is your budget for housing? I know of a charming northern CA college town that you may be happy with. Chico is, in my opinion, very affordable as far as CA goes. You can still find little bungalows for under $200,000 that may need some work but can be charming when fixed up. The closer to the univesity, the more expensive it gets.

Old 05-09-2010, 10:55 AM

14,016 posts, read 20,902,793 times
Downtown Los Angeles is absolutely over-flowing with world-class culture: Opera, the Los Angeles Philharmonic, the Los Angeles Master Chorale, theatre, and more. However, the major art musuems are spread out more and are not downtown (Getty, Getty Villa, Norton Simon, LA County), unless you like modern art. There is also a lot of fairly new high-rise residential construction right downtown within walking distance of the musical venues I listed above. The big problem would be affordability. I'm sorry I don't have specific information on costs for you, although I would be curious to know myself. Another option would be to live near a bus line or light rail line which goes to downtown Los Angeles, and most of them do. Los Angeles is not everyone's cup of tea, but I just love it. At least you've got the mild weather part here, with almost non-existent heating costs.

Old 05-09-2010, 01:44 PM

1,374 posts, read 2,434,922 times
But I have heard downtown Los Angeles is not a good neighborhood in terms of crime rate.

Old 05-09-2010, 03:12 PM

18,722 posts, read 33,380,506 times
I think a "secondary" city would be ideal. If you like Boston, try Portland, Maine. Or an older town outside Philadelphia (more affordable). Most big cities lack charm anyway, or if they have a charming core, it's super expensive.
Many people have spoken well of Knoxville, I think. Haven't been there and don't do humidity.

Old 05-09-2010, 03:56 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
...Chico is, in my opinion, very affordable as far as CA goes. ...
I 2nd this, Visited there on a preview trip this spring. IF I could deal with CA, this would be a great option.

Old 05-09-2010, 04:25 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,902,793 times
Default I am curious...

to know exactly what there is to "deal" with in California. If you mean relatively high taxes with no particular break on state income taxes for retirees, then I agree 100%. If you mean over-crowding, I am with you on that too, but it wouldn't apply to Chico. The primary reason for the over-crowding is that California is such a great place to live. Just curious what you have in mind.

Old 05-09-2010, 06:54 PM

4,097 posts, read 11,477,418 times
Almost any interesting city can have "affordable" components. For example, in Indianapolis a high end condo being built was foreclosed and they remodeled it into 40 rentals with 22 being classed "affordable". The building is in our high rent area about 4 blocks to downtown and a major library. 3 blocks to our arts district and 5 or 6 blocks to all the sporting venues (baseball, basketball, Lucas Oil Stadium, etc.) Just south of downtown, a nice walk, is Fountain Square and Fletcher Place neighborhoods. There is an adorable brick two bedroom/one bath totally remodeled home with unique details for around $100,000. So owning is totally possible also.

Vibrancy and charm are hard to measure. I love my downtown neighborhood. It is so green, quiet, close to all kinds of things. We can walk to two grocery stores, library, restaurants, coffee shops, etc. Interstates open up all the other parts of town. Love the parades, like St. Patricks Day and our 500 Race Parade. Love the marathons like the 500 mini marathon we just had. But it is not ever day.

Our weather is not the greatest but all four seasons are here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement