U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2010, 07:46 PM

8,774 posts, read 10,882,294 times

Advertisements

I've heard good things about the cost, convenience, quality and 'vacation bonus' of having healthcare and dental procedures done in Costa Rica. What has your experience been?
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2010, 10:23 PM

1,534 posts, read 3,787,657 times
We spend a month or two every year "snowbirding" in CR, this year it will be all of February. We rent private cottages from several expat Americans who have lived there for quite a few years and they are very familiar with the CR health care/medical and dental services and uniformly report high satisfaction with their experiences. While we haven't needed to use CR medical or dental services as yet, I wouldn't hesitate to do so as the need arises in the future for myself or family. The vast majority of CR medical/dental providers are reportedly US trained and the quality of care is comparable to the US, just at much lower cost. In the future, any discretionary medical or dental services we require will be done in CR. If you Google the subject you will find a fairly wide range of established providers who service the medical/dental tourism trade. It is a well established service industry and one which I personally think is superior to the US. JMO.

Old 01-12-2010, 11:14 AM

2,847 posts, read 1,965,757 times
I lived in Costa Rica for years. The health care quality is pretty good, but sometimes very long waits.
For foreigners it is cheap to buy in to the health care system. Many do not prefer to wait in line and pay for private care which is excellent and still affordable compared to the USA.

Veterans also have a group plan buy in for Costa Rica and help getting enrolled.

Costa Rica Health Care

Health Care in Costa Rica

Old 01-20-2010, 01:44 PM

8,774 posts, read 10,882,294 times
Default Thanks, Looking closer at your Links

Sounds like CR offers worthwhile healthcare advantages over the U.S. -- or, at least a reasonable alternative ... with a CR vacation thrown in!
Thanks

Old 01-20-2010, 01:46 PM

13,908 posts, read 25,382,379 times
Check out plasticsurgeryjourneys.com. CR is a well known destination for medical and dental procedures. Great quality care and cheaper than the US.

Old 01-20-2010, 02:17 PM

17,464 posts, read 21,309,443 times
I would also look into medical care in neighborhing countries as well, for price comparisons.

Costa Rica gets way too much publicity. Quality care is also available elsewhere in Central and Latin America.

When I'm in Central America on vacation, I get dental care wherever I happen to be at the time.

I received some excellent dental care in Auchipan, El Salvador on my last trip.

Also have had dental care in Bolivia, Ecuador, Argentina and Mexico.

Wherever I am at time, that's where I get it. IMO, it's arbitrary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement