Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2010, 10:19 PM

384 posts, read 989,888 times

Advertisements

In retirement, I will have mother-in-law space in the NE for part of the year. For the rest of the year, I plan on being somewhere else. I'm trying to decide between purchasing an RV or purchasing a place in a Florida community.

On one hand RVing sounds fun and I like the flexibility - but it also seems fairly expensive to my surprise. I wonder if I would feel confined, if it would get old.

On the other hand, a place in a community provides some of the daily things I like (pool), and I could still travel out from there via car or air. Prices are good now - but it would also require a level of upkeep - and I wonder if I would want more flexibility.

Pros & cons from anyone????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2010, 10:54 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,247,739 times
The RV pro is you don't have the responsibility nor the taxes and insurance on a second house.that sits empty six months. In most cities you can park it in your yard or a storage center. You can take a week end vacation anytime you like. RV parks are half the cost of a motel - and you can take your car with you. There are RV clubs that are much like a small community where members help members. The RV offers have everything you need at your fingertips from TV and microwave to shower, and some have a small stack washer and dryer. You don't have to buy a new model and you don't have to spend a million dollars to be comfortable. You learn how to set it up and take it down. Some models have a slide out room. You can add an awning. You can do a lot of traveling on the tax money you do not need to save.

The con is mileage and maintenance. Mileage averages 5-9 miles per gallon.

What you could do is rent an RV for a week. Park it outside your house and live in it. Coom meals, wash dishes, take a showers and sleep in it. Do not go inside your house for 7 days. You might find you can stand it after three days. It is a cheap education.

Old 01-16-2010, 11:09 PM

2,061 posts, read 4,133,324 times
do you have a comunity you want to go back too most times? Are you really ready to drive a big rig down he road pulling your car behind?

Always thought I'd love touring in an RV, but found he two places I really enjoy and have a park model in RV park in winter~ mobile home rest of year! Drove between the two with 2 tanks of gas and had someone else make my bed instead of having to hook up fresh water and black water and electric lines! Think I also vacation for less than gasoline for RV....but then as I stay in an RV park 1/2 of the year many freinds that just love full time RVing!

So usually boils down to type of lifestyle you prefer~ and how often you wish to change you surroundings!

But if you cannot live in cramped quarters~ or cannot handle making a $600 fuel stop park model living isn't all that bad!

Old 01-17-2010, 05:23 AM

9,319 posts, read 16,655,876 times
The OP have made some good points. We considered buying a 2nd home in FL but opted for the RV instead. We bought a used one and like the freedom it allows us to travel to other states besides FL. We didn't invest a fortune, don't have to pay real estate taxes, maintenance, etc. and if we get tired of it we'll get rid of it. Something else to consider when buying a house in FL is the high cost of insurance due to hurricanes and flooding and medical care in the area.

As OP mentioned, you might either buy one and park it in a FL RV park all year or buy a park model, which is permanently parked in a FL RV park.

Old 01-17-2010, 06:31 AM

1,534 posts, read 4,259,724 times
linicx:"The con is mileage and maintenance. Mileage averages 5-9 miles per gallon."

I don't mean to be picky, but this is incorrect. My new Class B Sprinter diesel gets low 20s MPG while not even being broken in. MPG is variable depending upon the specific RV. linicix's point is applicable to many, but definitely not all, RVs, particularly Class B units.

RV costs, aside from acquisition, are generally a function of use (& this is also variable concerning whether one uses RV campgrounds or boondocks and obviously how many miles driven) and age. That said, many folks seem to have found that the RV option provides a comparatively inexpensive housing solution, especially for an individual that is seeking part year housing and some flexibility in location.
As noted, RV park models are popular as one alternative, especially for snowbird types. The OP's six month criteria seems to fit that model fairly well.

The pros and cons of buy or rent (whether stick, a mobile home or park model RV) or opt for a modile RV are definitely subject to highly variable considerations, specific to an individual's preferences and budget. Some additional information concerning budget limitations/preferences would be needed to construct a useful comparison. Several non-economic factors, e.g. location, mobility and hassle preferences to name a few, would seem to be important considerations as well. Other posters have made some excellent observations that the OP needs to consider and perhaps respond to before more advice could be offered.

Last edited by Pilgrim21784; 01-17-2010 at 06:58 AM..

Old 01-17-2010, 12:38 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,810,437 times
Whwn I had a RV I was surprised at the cost even when not usinf it. from maintenance to the vehicle required if towed. For most the cost goes far beyind the cost when using it like anything else; you have to maintain and then most have little use for the tow vehicle when not towing. The cost doesn't stop entirely once when you are not using the vehicle or the RV.Its highly dependent on the person and you might want to rent one to see.

Old 01-17-2010, 12:44 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,688 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilgrim21784 View Post
linicx:"The con is mileage and maintenance. Mileage averages 5-9 miles per gallon."

.. My new Class B Sprinter diesel gets low 20s MPG while not even being broken in. MPG is variable depending upon the specific RV. linicix's point is applicable to many, but definitely not all, RVs, particularly Class B units.
My Class C gets 17-22mpg (Rialta), but... don't think either of these units would be suited for 'living' 6 mo. There are some Sprinter based 'C' units that get 17-20 mpg and some with slides would work for living in. (as a single person)

Quote:
RV costs, aside from acquisition, are generally a function of use (& this is also variable concerning whether one uses RV campgrounds or boondocks ...
You can also buy a USED camping membership(~$1200) into 'resort-club'. Some of the early versions of memberships had unlimited nights in park, most subsequent ones are restricted to 14 days in and 7 out, before reentering another property.

Quote:
The pros and cons of buy or rent (whether stick, a mobile home or park model RV) or opt for a modile RV are definitely subject to highly variable considerations, specific to an individual's preferences and budget.
I would consider something like this
http://www.city-data.com/forum/11662607-post8.html
Commercial building with attached apartment. If in the correct area the positive cash flow from other tenants could fund your apartment. Do be careful, as "Brick and Mortar" is on the way out, so stick with a good location that has multiple SOLID tenants (like Dr, / accountants / physical therapy) lots of foot traffic and walkable residents (for when energy prices spike and we are all walking.) I personally would avoid an additional 'primary residence' that was not self supporting, I.E. I WOULD consider a primary residence that had a guest house for me and the parcel (or apartment above garage), but the primary home would be rented year-round.

I would also look into Fractional ownership and/or Shared equity. (directly with other 'principles', not with 'time share / for profit corp'.)

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 01-17-2010 at 12:56 PM..

Old 01-17-2010, 11:57 PM

384 posts, read 989,888 times
Good feedback and questions - thank you.

Things I do know include:
If puchasing a place, I would not want to purchase into a manufactured or mobile home park.
If purchasing an RV:
- a Class B is too small for me
- I need space to wake up and do yoga, so I think that means a slide.
- I doubt I would "toad' -rather I might have a scooter, and rent a car when needed.
- Diesal does get better milage but whoa those are expensive and apparently finding "servicing" on the road is a bit more difficult to find. Recouping the inital outlay is unlikely from what I read.
- Boondocking is not on the option list as it is a little too isolated for me.

I must admit the $600 fuel stop is a little daunting. I was not aware of the used "resort" option which I will look at a little more closely.

StealthRabbit - I have liked the fractional ownership or shared equity option but have given up on it - I've tried to get people to go down that path for about ten years but it seems people like to talk about this but really have a hard time making the leap. From an RV perspective, however, one benefit would be that when i am not using it my kids could use it. I do not think however, that I would do a mother-in-law space, an RV and a brick and mortar. That seems a little daunting to me.

Renting and living in an RV for an extended period is a good idea - and I will try to do that...although it is not possible where I currently live.

As for budget - I'd like to live on $3,000 or under per month. Medical is taken care of.

Old 01-18-2010, 07:11 AM

37,794 posts, read 40,990,020 times
What if you make a choice and don't like it after a year or two? Which one is the easiest to get out of?

Old 01-18-2010, 10:24 AM

1,236 posts, read 4,046,783 times
Talking Very interesting topic !

IMHO this is a very "personal" issue depending on lifestyle and personality.

Speaking for myself only ~ I would choose to rent in a community very much like the one where Wisteria & Nancy live because it offers the opportunity to have a stable environment and make new friends. Travel is always more fun "with a friend" !!

As a single woman I would find the RV-life very stressful and daunting, unless I had a travel partner to share all aspects of travel and handling the rig.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement