U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2010, 10:12 PM

11,544 posts, read 26,011,458 times

Advertisements

Another option might be a senior companion. A best friend did that until she died at age 89. She charged $200 per week to live-in five days 24/7 and act as a surrogate mother. She did not do laundry or house work. Her last job was six years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2010, 01:44 PM

13,890 posts, read 25,335,938 times
I don't think there are many CNAs that make 50K per year. Throw in every other weekend off and I'll take the job. Do some research on how much those folks make.

It doesn't sound to me like she really needs that much care right now but the one thing to remember is that she will never get any better, only worse. A senior companion would probably be ideal. I would check with local churches to see if they have someone who would be interested.

Old 01-21-2010, 12:48 PM

5,090 posts, read 13,552,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
I don't think there are many CNAs that make 50K per year. Throw in every other weekend off and I'll take the job. Do some research on how much those folks make.

It doesn't sound to me like she really needs that much care right now but the one thing to remember is that she will never get any better, only worse. A senior companion would probably be ideal. I would check with local churches to see if they have someone who would be interested.
Of course not many CNAs make 50K per year. What someone makes is not what it cost to employee them. If you have to pay someone, let say $10-$14 a hour to do a job, your cost are much more. You must pay social security taxes, unemployment tax, workman's compensation, overtime rate, city tax, state taxes etc. by law. Also, you would provide some insurance, some vacation pay etc.

So, if you hires CNA aides directly for 8-12 hours a day, your cost can easily exceed 50K a year. For 24 hour care, you are cost will exceed 150K a year. If you go through an agency, they would also have the burden of paying these costs and taxes, in addition to direct compensation, they have liability insurance, bonding, plus their profit to do the hiring for you.

I hear this all the time--it is not a real difficult issue to understand. After all you get a salary and much more. Who do you think pays it???

Yea, you think you can hire domestic help as an independent contractor. Maybe, but in many cases of domestic help, it is illegal. Even if you can, you must pay additional compensation to cover the person's expenses for insurances, taxes etc. You could find some dumb person who is willing to work "under the table" because they are too stupid to realize that they are being robbed of benefits by unscrupulous employers.

Some sleazy Washington elite have been caught hiring illegals and not paying the taxes and paying sub illegal wages for domestic help. They think they are above the laws but most of us, follow the rules and pay people correctly.

Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 01-21-2010 at 01:20 PM..

Old 01-21-2010, 01:22 PM

11,256 posts, read 11,273,591 times
The problems with each choice are endless.

Bringing someone into the home is a real turn-off. Security issues, taxes, high cost per hour.

She really needs to be in assisted living but convincing her is the real problem. She's convinced she perfectly self-sufficient and will be for the next 10 years. Her memory cannot retain the bad things that have happened to her, or what I tell her what can happen to her if she's alone. It's maddening.

Old 01-21-2010, 05:34 PM
GLS

1,985 posts, read 4,848,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
The problems with each choice are endless.

Bringing someone into the home is a real turn-off. Security issues, taxes, high cost per hour.

She really needs to be in assisted living but convincing her is the real problem. She's convinced she perfectly self-sufficient and will be for the next 10 years. Her memory cannot retain the bad things that have happened to her, or what I tell her what can happen to her if she's alone. It's maddening.
Any possibility of involving her in a group activity with other seniors? It could be through a church, volunteer organization, "field trips" focused around a hobby she has, etc. I have an office/apartment in a 55+ community and they have a card group, pool, exercise class, group that goes to the movies once a week, etc. My point is that if she is exposed to contemporaries or makes friends with someone in an assisted living, they may convince her it's not so bad. Peer pressure works on some of us old folks (just not me ) like it works on adolescents.

Old 01-21-2010, 05:38 PM
GLS

1,985 posts, read 4,848,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
Another option might be a senior companion....... She charged $200 per week to live-in five days 24/7 and act as a surrogate mother. She did not do laundry or house work...
I have a senior companion. She costs me a lot more than $200/week. She also does not do laundry or house work.................I'm married.

Old 01-24-2010, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS View Post
Any possibility of involving her in a group activity with other seniors? It could be through a church, volunteer organization, "field trips" focused around a hobby she has, etc. I have an office/apartment in a 55+ community and they have a card group, pool, exercise class, group that goes to the movies once a week, etc. My point is that if she is exposed to contemporaries or makes friends with someone in an assisted living, they may convince her it's not so bad. Peer pressure works on some of us old folks (just not me ) like it works on adolescents.
No. She's healthy sickness-wise but too infirmed to get around. She has a small circle of good acquaintances at this skilled care facility and that's all. Far as wanting to go home, it's just so ingrained in her that it'd be like you determining that you have to breathe in order to keep on living.

Old 01-25-2010, 02:21 PM

3,428 posts, read 9,255,706 times
Glad to know sometimes that I'm not the only one out there who's dealing with this same stuff. The Assisted Living that I pay for is right at that $173 per day range, with nowhere to go but up. And when you add in all the other expenses (clothes, some food, personal grooming supplies, co-pays and medical expenses not covered by insurance) that rate is actually a bit higher.

Old 01-26-2010, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superk View Post
Glad to know sometimes that I'm not the only one out there who's dealing with this same stuff. The Assisted Living that I pay for is right at that $173 per day range, with nowhere to go but up. And when you add in all the other expenses (clothes, some food, personal grooming supplies, co-pays and medical expenses not covered by insurance) that rate is actually a bit higher.
Are you paying for an infirmed parent or relative, Superk?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement