U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 10:33 AM

9,321 posts, read 16,582,586 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickers View Post
I was homeless for more than a couple of years, never went to college. I was born with attention deficit disorder, obsessive compulsive disorder and dyslexia as well as consuming more than a few drugs and lots of booze (I don't do all that chit anymore).
I now have two income producing properties own a kayak dealership and gift shop and am already looking at 36 to 42 foot sailing yachts.
I'm 58 and have a wonderful life and wife. If I can do it anyone can.
I also must say I saw that you wrote "God **** this country"
I now don't really give a flying porcupine's patootie what happens to you. Go live in a third world country and see if your luck or attitude changes !
It's up to you to make your life what you want it to be.
Bless your heart...you sound a little like em....me. LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2010, 10:35 AM

9,321 posts, read 16,582,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by superk View Post
BugBoy911, I'm behind you. I hope to be dead by the time I'm 49. I see nothing good coming out of a life beyond that point.
Oh my. Such fatalists. Well there are things you can do to expidite your trip off the planet. You can drink like Keith Moon and leave at 32, or Jim Morrison or Jopplin, Hendrix. There are ways my friend. Cheers.

Old 01-20-2010, 10:40 AM

454 posts, read 1,244,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kleenex View Post
??
confusing.
why would you curse the country when it's YOU who can choose to go out and 'take it' or choose to instead play the blame game.
i'm 29 and i believe that this country provides 'the' best platform for someone who wants to make a good life. it's up to the individual to make choices, make it happen.

this is the only country where a 23 year old recent college grad could purchase a house and another one five years later. (and came to this country at the age of 17)
honestly, i used to think like OP when i was much younger....
i wanted to die around 65. I however, planned on living the HELLLLL out of my 65 years and my goal was to live without regrets until 65 and then not be around for the sick times....
but the older you get, the more you realize how special 'life' is and how wonderful it 'can be' to be alive. living well sure beats being dead. Being sick, miserable and unhappy, if completely out of your control, is another story.

i hope you change your point of view and start seeing the world as a positive environment as opposed to a prison.

cheers!

Old 01-20-2010, 11:18 AM

3,428 posts, read 9,253,444 times
While I do think that the OP is a little young still to be so pessimistic, I do see where he's coming from. When I was younger I used to not really think much about this stuff. I figured that I'd just be working forever, like most older people I knew growing up. But as you get older, it starts to become clearer what things will be like. Not only do you start to see the signs of how age is affecting you, but then you get to see how it affects others around you. How people who were healthy all of their lives suddenly getting sick at a point when they can least afford to be. That listlessness and lack of spark that people get when they no longer have anything productive to do. Giving up your independence and mobility when driving becomes a problem. The lonliness and isolation as acquaintences drift away, the loss of family, friends, and spouses.

Old 01-20-2010, 12:05 PM

29,782 posts, read 34,871,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugBoy911 View Post
Living homeless at the age of 60 or so, after my parents are gone, is nitemare. I will find a way to excape this nightmare. I will not live in a nursing home or on the street when I'm that old. Rather die!!! God dam this country and all that ever were trusted to run it.
Why do you consider yourself so incompetent and unable to run and manage your life over the next 30 years?

Old 01-20-2010, 12:18 PM

48,516 posts, read 83,943,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugBoy911 View Post
Living homeless at the age of 60 or so, after my parents are gone, is nitemare. I will find a way to excape this nightmare. I will not live in a nursing home or on the street when I'm that old. Rather die!!! God dam this country and all that ever were trusted to run it.
Sounds like you need to look in the mirror on who in this country has brought you to this state.You need to be having your parents rely more on you than your relying on your parents.Your days of being a dependent should long have ended.

Old 01-20-2010, 12:32 PM

324 posts, read 506,061 times
I think, BugBoy just came here to vent. He is not responding to anyone, neither he stated what the problem was, so his OP just generated responses, that logicaly had to be generated, which means little understanding for his rant...

BigBoy, would you like to tell us what the problem is?

I was 1 year older from you when I came to this country, as a refugee with my wife and two children, $400, and very poor english. Today, I am 55, happy grandfather with happy children and happy grandchild. And life is easyyyyyyyyyy........
This country is not ideal place to live, but there isn't an ideal place in this world.

Last edited by paulpan; 01-20-2010 at 12:54 PM..

Old 01-20-2010, 12:46 PM

296 posts, read 730,343 times
"If you really dislike our country, which is the best in the world, try living in another one."

Spoken like a true American who probably doesn't even own a passport, let alone actually lived in any other country.

Old 01-20-2010, 01:15 PM

296 posts, read 730,343 times
And might I add that when people claim that the "USA is the best country in the world" then the politicians think that they don't really have to do much since the Americans are so lucky just to live in the US. There are millions of Americans who are suffering greatly from this recession and who have lost their health care insurance and are unable to afford basic medical care simply because they are unable to get employment. To say that the "USA is the best country in the world" is an insult to these Americans, many of whom are hard working individuals, who are suffering because they cannot afford the healthcare.

i watched a program about people living somewhere in the South who were waiting in line for hours to see doctors who donated some of their time to treat those who cannot afford to pay to see a doctor. One young girl needed serious medical care - these doctors could not give her the treatment she needed and she did not have the money to get the care she required so she had to do without it. She is one of thousands who are suffering in this way.

A country that allows their citizens to suffer like this cannot possibly be the "best country in the world". And shame on all the Americans who have allowed this situation to happen.

Old 01-20-2010, 01:24 PM

324 posts, read 506,061 times
PlainJane, of course, there are also bad things in this country, and I wish all those who got caught in those things to get better, and then much better.
It is just the fact, that OP is a young person (30), and displaying such a peimistic outlook. Neeeh, not in that age! He is still going to have opportunities to improve his life (whatever is wrong with it), and he will need to grab those opportunities by horns. That's what successful people do when taking care of their lives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or