U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2010, 12:45 AM

12,705 posts, read 14,085,285 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
So you lived here for sixty years, enjoyed the bounty of living in the greatest country on earth, bailed to southern Europe, and now you suck money from our economy, spend it somewhere else, and sit over there sniping at your native homeland.

Those of us who actually live here and respect our country, however flawed it may be, don't need to stop and ask questions before responding to the likes of you.
Once again firing from the lip.

I worked from age 14 to retirement, thus contributing to the economy of the country and paying taxes; being a contributor to the bounty you refer to...probably for a longer period than most people do now days.

And I continue to pay taxes on any income earned in the U.S., which is virtually all of it. Plus, since I live rather simply I am able to regularly send decent contributions to philanthropic organizations in the U.S.

But, I moved abroad because I feel that I had made my contributions and paid my dues, and it was too sad to see the nosedive that the U.S. has taken in the past three decades -- the society as well as the economy. The present U.S. is essentially now a country created by and for people with a far different idea of what America and life in general should be than mine. These people will live in it for many, many years, whereas I will not; therefore, it is appropriate that they have it their way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2010, 01:21 AM

2,897 posts, read 5,281,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugBoy911 View Post
Living homeless at the age of 60 or so, after my parents are gone, is nitemare. I will find a way to excape this nightmare. I will not live in a nursing home or on the street when I'm that old. Rather die!!! God dam this country and all that ever were trusted to run it.
No need to damn this country. Despite its foibles and bouts with incompetence, it remains the best country on earth.

If you disagree, then it is really simple...
Renounce US Citizenship: Process and Implications - Associated Content - associatedcontent.com

Our elected officials derive their power from the people. We have only ourselves to blame.

S.

Last edited by Sandpointian; 01-22-2010 at 01:32 AM..

Old 01-22-2010, 05:46 AM

2,024 posts, read 2,988,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandpointian View Post
No need to damn this country. Despite its foibles and bouts with incompetence, it remains the best country on earth.

S.
That is your OPINION. It's really annoying when Americans state it as an indisputable FACT.

Old 01-22-2010, 06:44 AM

454 posts, read 1,244,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandpointian View Post
S.
there's no BEST. best in what? what's best for you may not be best for someone else. maybe someone's idea of best is a country with universal healthcare....so as you see, "best" is a relative term.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankinscotland View Post
That is your OPINION. It's really annoying when Americans state it as an indisputable FACT.

i agree.
i don't like those "patriot" americans that think "jesus" blessed their country and that somehow it's the 'best' in the world!!! just stupid!

i do however think that the US OF A (as Borat says it), provides the best platform for someone willing, to accomplish almost any goal. I also think that there are plenty of ways you can get screwed by the 'system', but the opportunities are there nonetheless.

cheers!

Old 01-22-2010, 07:07 AM

1,715 posts, read 4,109,209 times
Maybe you should end it now and save the tax payers from taking care of you

Old 01-22-2010, 08:16 AM

324 posts, read 506,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tworent View Post
Maybe you should end it now and save the tax payers from taking care of you
You are being little unfair to kevxu.
Whatever income he lives on, the SS, or any other retirement, he earned that. This is not like some person being on welfare, who is a burden to US taxpayers.
Just the fact, that he decided to live outside of USA during his retirement, shouldn't put him into a position of some antiamerican. Many thousands of Americans move abroad for retirement. There's nothing wrong with that, they should be still entitled to speak about american related matters without being blamed for anything.
I'm in the opposite situation: I moved from Europe to The USA, and on occasions I hear from my former home country (on internet forum) something like "you betrader, stick your nose to american matters, you no longer have business to speak about our matters". I think they are off.

Last edited by paulpan; 01-22-2010 at 08:27 AM..

Old 01-22-2010, 09:00 AM

324 posts, read 506,123 times
Back to the OP.
I happened to find something, that brings some light to where the OP is comming from:
http://www.city-data.com/forum/hawaii/856734-lost-dream.html
Actually, he seems to be a nice person, somewhat depressed/unhappy. However, he is pursuing his dream, as revealed later in the above thread.

Old 01-22-2010, 09:05 AM

8,309 posts, read 34,412,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugBoy911 View Post
Living homeless at the age of 60 or so, after my parents are gone, is nitemare. I will find a way to excape this nightmare. I will not live in a nursing home or on the street when I'm that old. Rather die!!! God dam this country and all that ever were trusted to run it.
Luckily, there are some options for escaping this nightmare. These options include, without limitation, (i) getting lucky and getting rich, (ii) working hard and getting rich, (iii) committing to living beneath your means and amassing wealth over the long term, (iv) smoking and drinking excessively, (v) putting a shotgun in your mouth and pulling the trigger with your toe or (vi) jumping off a building.

Old 01-22-2010, 11:21 AM

5,081 posts, read 12,976,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
Luckily, there are some options for escaping this nightmare.
These options include, without limitation,

(i) getting lucky and getting rich,
(ii) working hard and getting rich,
(iii) committing to living beneath your means and amassing wealth over the long term,
(iv) smoking and drinking excessively,
(v) putting a shotgun in your mouth and pulling the trigger with your toe or
(vi) jumping off a building.
When I was in about the sixth grade, I chose the first one, (i).
That was over 60 years ago and it hasn't happened yet.
I expect to die before it does.
But I'm not giving up hope.

Old 01-22-2010, 11:28 AM

28,243 posts, read 39,908,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artangel View Post
And to Tek Freek, may I say that it seems to me that the posters you objected to were reasonable, not lashing out.
You're right. It really rubbed me the wrong way at the time, and I did go a little overboard. I guess I'm a patriot and just don't see any reason for putting up with someone who doesn't live here criticizing our country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or