Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 08:57 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,180,430 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
...Kiddo, this is the United States of America, you can be anything or do anything you want.
No.

You can try to be anything...or try to do anything. But success is not guaranteed, even with one's best efforts.

Quote:
The choice is yours.
The choice to try, yes...after that many forces besides one's personal will to success come into play which influence the success or failure in any endeavor.

In large measure our present economic mess in the U.S. is the result of believing that one could will success.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2010, 08:58 AM

2,015 posts, read 3,379,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Let's see, at 58 I am retired, have a nice place in the Colorado Rockies. I am healthy, and having the time of my life. The best part is NO ONE tells me what to do, when to get up, where to go, no stupid supervisor belittling me or ordering me around. I hike, fish, pan for gold, read, am learning Spanish, learning Morse code, I've gotten my Amateur Radio license (something I wanted since college but never had time). I see these worker bees struggle to get out in snow and zero degree weather as I am warm drinking my coffee.

These are absolutely the best times of my life and at 58, I am looking forward to the next 30-40 years. Looking forward to the adventure.

Kiddo, this is the United States of America, you can be anything or do anything you want. The choice is yours.
I'm nearly 58 and retired and my hub is 61 and retired. Like you, we are having a fantastic time!! No going to work, hub did love his job but he's happy to be retired. We do a lot of travelling and just enjoy ourselves. I still workout and use free weights and my hub can still jog up a hill although just a bit slower. We ride our bikes and go canoeing or kayaking right outside our front door.

We are in the UK and hub has a great pension. Never have to think about healthcare as we have good doctors and don't pay a penny except a small co-pay on prescriptions for the infrequent times we need them.

I'm planning my 60th birthday holiday - kayaking in the caribbean. Haven't decided on the 70th yet. I know people in their 90's who are still young.

Old 01-21-2010, 01:31 PM

6,023 posts, read 14,059,923 times
My father in law used to say "Life's great if ya don't weaken"
To the OP, take a bit of time to volunteer or help out at a senior center or some other worthy cause (like sending a few $ if you can to help out in Haiti), or just do something good for someone else. You can call it karma if you want or any other word for it but I am certain soon things will start going better for you.

Old 01-21-2010, 03:18 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,675,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
The person you are responding to didn't make any such claims. She was pointing out the fact that what someone characterized as the "best" country in the world has millions who are not insured and cannot afford medical treatment. And, to her this seemed to make a mockery of the claim "the best."

The whole idea of "the best country" depends very much on what one wants out of life for oneself and one's fellow citizens.

Perhaps for the U.S. to remain the #1 economic power in the world - if that is part of what "the best" might mean - then we leave millions uninsured and let 'em rot, and we stop sending barely competent teenagers to college and let them get down on their hands and knees and pull onions and cut celery - which will solve the immigration "problem" which bothers so many folks, and then we outlaw unions so that employers can pay working class folks whatever they feel like and with no benefits, and that way U.S. products will be dirt cheap and competitive around the world.

And if the measurement of "the best" is economic ranking in the world, then we will remain #1 for a long time. And as long as you aren't one of the mass of working class grunts everything will be fine - "the best," one might say.
There are a lot of "we's" in this post A post made by someone from southern Europe. You don't live here, you have no idea of what you speak any more than the elitist from the UK.

Please don't speak for "us".

Old 01-21-2010, 03:20 PM

Quote:
No.

You can try to be anything...or try to do anything. But success is not guaranteed, even with one's best efforts.

The choice to try, yes...after that many forces besides one's personal will to success come into play which influence the success or failure in any endeavor.

In large measure our present economic mess in the U.S. is the result of believing that one could will success.
Again you speak of "our" economic mess. This not your mess, it's ours. Deal with your own.

Old 01-21-2010, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
There are a lot of "we's" in this post A post made by someone from southern Europe. You don't live here, you have no idea of what you speak any more than the elitist from the UK.

Please don't speak for "us".
Not "from southern Europe," living there.

I was born and raised in the U.S., lived and worked there for sixty years and still derive my livelihood from the U.S.

Like it or not, I am "us."

Old 01-21-2010, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Again you speak of "our" economic mess. This not your mess, it's ours. Deal with your own.
You desperately need to learn to ask questions first, before you shoot from the lip.

Old 01-21-2010, 04:54 PM

11,083 posts, read 17,527,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulpan View Post
I think, BugBoy just came here to vent. He is not responding to anyone, neither he stated what the problem was, so his OP just generated responses, that logicaly had to be generated, which means little understanding for his rant...
He might need time to wake up and get over that big hangover before he gets back on here.

Old 01-21-2010, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Not "from southern Europe," living there.

I was born and raised in the U.S., lived and worked there for sixty years and still derive my livelihood from the U.S.

Like it or not, I am "us."
Quote:
You desperately need to learn to ask questions first, before you shoot from the lip.
So you lived here for sixty years, enjoyed the bounty of living in the greatest country on earth, bailed to southern Europe, and now you suck money from our economy, spend it somewhere else, and sit over there sniping at your native homeland.

Those of us who actually live here and respect our country, however flawed it may be, don't need to stop and ask questions before responding to the likes of you.

Old 01-21-2010, 11:43 PM

977 posts, read 1,109,149 times
I've wondered about the OP everytime I saw this thread listed, so finally decided to stop and read it. It seems to me that perhaps the OP has experienced some extreme pain/anger to post as he/she did. Paulpan noted something along that line of thought earlier. It is difficult to respond properly when we have no idea what prompted this rant. I guess I'm sensing a lot of despair along with the anger, a sense of hopelessness that must have been triggered by something. It is true we have a problem with many becoming homeless. Unfortunately, quite a few seem to be vietnam vets who were so destroyed in some way by that war that they are unable to maintain a "normal" lifestyle. I think it's awful the way these men were treated. Our vets still are not given what they deserve in the way of help. But don't mean to hijack thread. Many of the homeless are said to be those with some type of mental illness with no one to turn to, or whose families have tried repeatedly to get them to stay on medication and have had to give up in the end. Sorry---I have no answers. Just wondering what is behind the post. Hope this person is able to heal and be productive--or receives whatever help needed to turn his life around. And to Tek Freek, may I say that it seems to me that the posters you objected to were reasonable, not lashing out. Why do you have so much anger? It doesn't seem necessary to me. But, that's just imho. I do give you kudos for loving our country---a country that has as one of it's rights the freedom of speech. Perhaps you might want to remember that when responding to a post you disagree with? I do wish you and the OP the best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement