U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 10:21 AM

4,574 posts, read 7,060,700 times

Advertisements

I've read the homes in the future will be smaller, both for older retirees (mass of baby boomers) but also for families in general, which tend to be 4 people on average. It will be interesting to see if developers really can do this since they are very McMansion oriented and it takes awhile for trends to change. I think people just won't have the money/income to pay for these super large homes in the future.

The only reason I see this not happening is where families will really start having to live together again (like in the old days)...where sons and daughters, grandparents, aunts and uncles will have to live together in order to survive. Again this would be a major paradigm shift in America.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2010, 10:22 AM

23,605 posts, read 31,487,261 times
Oh my goodness. I always did want to be a statistic. I retired in 2008 and my wife did so several years earlier. We're now 63 and 61 respectively. Our retirement plan had always been to move from CA to another, more affordable state to maximize our retirement dollars. We made that move last year to an area with four distinct but not particularly harsh seasons, abundant nature and reasonable amenities.

We knew exactly what we wanted in a home -- detached, nice lot but not too large (we have 1/4 acre), three bedrooms, 1 3/4 baths, large kitchen, single story, two car garage and between 1,300-1,500 (we ended up with 1480) square feet which we considered manageable. We found precisely what we wanted on the shore of a large, beautiful lake. It's in a relatively small but active community with its own water, road clearance, a community center, pool and spa. We're also somewhat isolated (so there's a lighted heli-pad for medical evacuation if needed). It's seven miles to the nearest store/gas station, 18 miles to medical care, grocery shopping and a home center and another seven miles to major shopping and a population center.

One thing we acknowledge is that in 10-15 or more years we may need to sell and move into a condo or town house closer to "civilization" or even into assisted living. But until that day comes we will enjoy what we have which is about perfect for us. Thankfully, there are plenty of licensed home maintenance people in the general area, one of whom is a neighbor, because I can't do the heavy lifting I used to.

No head in the sand or denial. We'll deal with fraility if, or more likely, when it comes. As Bette Davis once observed, "There ain't nothin' about aging for sissies!"

Old 01-26-2010, 04:58 PM

28,242 posts, read 39,901,543 times
Mrs. Tek and I have been all over the board on this one. Everywhere from 1300 sq ft to 2200 sq ft. From a large lot with the maintenance done by us and a 3 car garage so I can have a woodworking shop to a small lot that is maintained by someone else.

I think it will be determined by where we decide to live and how our health is once we get there.

Old 01-26-2010, 06:30 PM

6,253 posts, read 4,734,369 times
Since I hope to be dealing with realtors and moving by the end of the Summer, I guess I should make my list. I have thought about it quite a bit but never tried to write the list.

A double garage for a shop
A largish room for arts and crafts
2 or so bedrooms with 1.5-2 baths
Ideally a nearby gym or other exercise area
Good security - am planning on travelling for weeks or months at a time
A HOA or other convenient means of dealing with maintenance and repairs
One story
Relatively new with little need for updating and remodelling or repairs
A sense of community
Within walking distance to parks and stores
Near a university with OLLI programs
Reasonable cost of living - at or below national average
Good climate with minimal extremes
Proximity to national parks; i.e., western half of US
Good healthcare nearby
City culture nearby but not in a congested area

Old 01-27-2010, 07:35 AM

8,197 posts, read 11,915,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Mrs. Tek and I have been all over the board on this one. Everywhere from 1300 sq ft to 2200 sq ft. From a large lot with the maintenance done by us and a 3 car garage so I can have a woodworking shop to a small lot that is maintained by someone else.

I think it will be determined by where we decide to live and how our health is once we get there.
We just bought a 2BR, 2500 sq ft house to retire to, which is actually quite a reduction from our former 5br, 4000 sq ft house. It is in a community where the HOA takes care of all exterior landscaping and maintenance, including painting the house and repairing or replacing the roof when necessary. That's perfect for me, because I've always hated yard work and always had to hire contractors for home maintenance.

Although it is a two story house, the MBR is on the gound floor. Even so, we realize that we'll have to move again at some point, but we're still in our early 50s, so we should still have a few good years left in us. Here is a link to a slideshow of still photos of our house for those who are interested:

Property Slideshow

Old 01-27-2010, 11:04 AM

1,613 posts, read 2,486,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
Since I hope to be dealing with realtors and moving by the end of the Summer, I guess I should make my list. I have thought about it quite a bit but never tried to write the list.

2 or so bedrooms with 1.5-2 baths
Ideally a nearby gym or other exercise area
Good security - am planning on travelling for weeks or months at a time
A HOA or other convenient means of dealing with maintenance and repairs
One story
Relatively new with little need for updating and remodelling or repairs
A sense of community
Within walking distance to parks and stores
Good healthcare nearby

When you find that. let me know. That's my list, too! (except not necessarily western US)

Old 01-27-2010, 01:04 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,585 posts, read 39,962,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
Good healthcare nearby
Thanks for that list, it's similar to mine.
I want to design and build a 'western' village that will be integrated into a small community; include an outpatient and inpatient OT & PT, cafe, used bookstore / hobby and craft store for village integration, purpose & a source of revenue. (plus allow attending spouses / partners to rent a 'cabin' or RV spot during inpatient therapy)
There would be a large heated barn for shared woodshop, machine & auto shop, indoor gardening greenhouse, as well as a craft center with space for quilting frames / paintings to be left set-up. And a large commercial kitchen and dining for frequent potlucks and catered events (just like the norm in Denmark - co-housing). Hopefully some space for free roaming chickens and a few goats / sheep for mowing duties.

This is a challenge in the westerly, west (Left coast) as increasing taxes, development burdens + land costs are climbing. I'm afraid WY, ID, SD, and NM may be the 'next-to' final frontier. (there are some weather challenges there and college proximity limitations.) CO and UT have some steep land costs and often very fractional divisions in LDS towns (UT & ID)

This place is close to the west (Canyon, TX). The residents love the proximity to the U & health care. Many of the Co-ops have HUGE integrated workshops and garden / craft facilities. The MN co-op residents love their indoor parking and wash bays!
Palo Duro Retirement Village_Home
I can't do the conventional co-op, as I plan to be overseas for extended periods and would need to sublease my place to traveling friends from around the world. (that may end in about 30 yrs when I get into my 80's, or maybe not... I have a bad case of wanderlust)

I think there are some villages in southern Colorado, and I know of a couple of 'aging in place' options there.

Good luck with the realtors, I have had nominal success in 35 yrs of doing properties, but in a few cases they are helpful. I find it best to deal direct if possible, especially for the important stuff (legal, closing, financing, zoning, land use, title clarity, inspections, appraisals, surveys...)

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 01-27-2010 at 01:18 PM..

Old 01-27-2010, 01:38 PM

2,601 posts, read 1,231,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
We just bought a 2BR, 2500 sq ft house to retire to, which is actually quite a reduction from our former 5br, 4000 sq ft house. It is in a community where the HOA takes care of all exterior landscaping and maintenance, including painting the house and repairing or replacing the roof when necessary. That's perfect for me, because I've always hated yard work and always had to hire contractors for home maintenance.

Although it is a two story house, the MBR is on the gound floor. Even so, we realize that we'll have to move again at some point, but we're still in our early 50s, so we should still have a few good years left in us. Here is a link to a slideshow of still photos of our house for those who are interested:

Property Slideshow
What a beautiful home! May I ask the location of this home?

Last edited by educator1953; 01-27-2010 at 01:41 PM.. Reason: Rephrase.

Old 01-27-2010, 01:54 PM

8,197 posts, read 11,915,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by educator1953 View Post
What a beautiful home! May I ask the location of this home?
Thank you. The house is in Las Vegas.

Old 01-27-2010, 02:15 PM

6,253 posts, read 4,734,369 times
Stealth.., I am not sure how our lists are similar. I am certainly not looking for therapy and a place where spouses could visit. I have no interest in free roaming chickens and livestock. I have always thought of Texas as being next to Oklahoma. I have been to part of both of those States and have no interest in returning. I plan on doing most of my travelling in the US: Canyonlands, Arches, Capitol Reef, Yellowstone, Bryce, Glacier, Yosemite........

I do like the idea of community meeting areas, shops, gardens, etc. Communities with those choices seem very rare. It seems like most retirement communities have been built around golf courses with maybe a pool and dismal exercise area. Well, if I am lucky I hope to find some of those. More likely I will settle for the OLLI programs and a nearby YMCA.

I am still trying to decide on a location. So far that has been by process of elimination. Colorado - too cold. Grand Junction has some appeal but it is isolated and would be a tough sell for the wife. Utah - SLC is too cold, St George is pretty bleak and very Mormon. Arizona - I lived in Phoenix. There is not an ounce of "culture" in the whole State, plus it is hot and getting crowded. Idaho - too cold. California - too expensive. Northern CA might be a remote possibility. Nevada - I have been to Vegas and certainly would not want to live there. Maybe Reno, but I think the winter is long. New Mexico - I have not visited so I just don't know. My wife has relatives in Portland, so we visited Oregon instead of NM. Portland was a serious disappointment: expensive, crowded, and too many hipsters and freaks. Plus I doubt I could handle the clouds and rain. The best choice seems to be southern Oregon - Medford/Ashland. The climate is about right except for a bit too much winter fog and clouds. There is good healthcare, a reasonable population size, an excellent OLLI program, and some level of activity/culture, mostly involving the theater and tourist industry. Medford has an average COL, Ashland was out of sight but housing prices are dropping rapidly.

Yup, trying to find a place to live, downsizing, selling the current house and retiring make for some challenges. With all of that my wife wants to buy a camper and travel and avoid buying or renting. Yup, lots to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement