U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 02:30 PM
mlb

3,183 posts, read 2,857,897 times

Advertisements

What the list lacked - a home ON ONE LEVEL - NO STAIRS.

The knees are the first to give out.

Also? I prefer my own home - no HOA. My folks moved to a condo with an HOA and felt like renters....and were treated like renters. No Thanks. I prefer to hire my own help. And considering the economy there will be a plethora of people wanting to mow lawns, etc.

Additionally, I've never lived in a place bigger than 2500 sq feet. Grew up in a house (with 8 others) with around 1300 sq feet. The more square feet - the more to clean. Small is good - Tiny? Not so much.

Oh - and if you're rural and have to drive to the doc, the store, etc.? What happens when you cannot drive? Be careful of that.

Another related question is when you need assisted living - how much will it cost 20 years down the road?

My mother needed nursing care (after fx her hip) and it cost $8000 a month. Yes, EIGHT THOUSAND DOLLARS A MONTH. Assisted living (after her hip healed) is $4000 a month. And medicare doesn't pay for assisted living.

Maybe in the future hiring live in help will be all the rage..... and cheaper.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2010, 02:44 PM

7,028 posts, read 6,993,234 times
Default Agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
We did the small retirement home in a 55+ until my son had to move in due to his health. I gave up on both, I need 2,200 sq ft. big enough for folks to visit. I happy to get away from 55+, too many cranky old people
The cranky, unfriendly old people are what worry me about the 55+ places. Or people who don't get along...

Old 01-27-2010, 02:46 PM

8,204 posts, read 11,918,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlb View Post
I prefer my own home - no HOA. My folks moved to a condo with an HOA and felt like renters....and were treated like renters. No Thanks. I prefer to hire my own help. And considering the economy there will be a plethora of people wanting to mow lawns, etc..
And I would never buy a house in an area that didn't have an HOA. I like the fact that there are restrictions that help to keep up the appearance of the community and would prohibit my next door neighbor from deciding to place an old sofa on the porch, a rusted appliance in the back yard, or a bunch of broken down vehicles on blocks in the front yard.

Quote:
And medicare doesn't pay for assisted living.
That's what LTC insurance is for.

Old 01-27-2010, 04:48 PM
mlb

LTC insurance has it's limits as well.

Old 01-27-2010, 04:54 PM

28,243 posts, read 39,908,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
We just bought a 2BR, 2500 sq ft house to retire to, which is actually quite a reduction from our former 5br, 4000 sq ft house. It is in a community where the HOA takes care of all exterior landscaping and maintenance, including painting the house and repairing or replacing the roof when necessary. That's perfect for me, because I've always hated yard work and always had to hire contractors for home maintenance.

Although it is a two story house, the MBR is on the gound floor. Even so, we realize that we'll have to move again at some point, but we're still in our early 50s, so we should still have a few good years left in us. Here is a link to a slideshow of still photos of our house for those who are interested:

Property Slideshow
Beautiful home. We keep mumbling about Las Vegas as a retirement destination. Even though it isn't green like I really want green is not too far away nor is the ocean. We do have concerns about water in the future. The lake keeps dropping and sooner or later it has to snow a lot more in Colorado for consectutive years or someone is going to go without in that corner of the country.

We have already determined that we need a one story. For a number of reasons stairs are not our friend. Even if we stay here we have to move to a ranch. Last choice is staying here. This is a wonderful state, but the powers that be are running it into the ground and we do not want to be here for the big crash.

I want the swimming pool. That is also influencing where we look. No reason to live with a pool when you can only use it 3 months out of the year like here.

I love yard work, but unless changing blood pressure meds is going give me my energy back I won't be doing it in the future. I change over tomorrow and the doc says a week and I should know. Fingers crossed...

Quote:
What the list lacked - a home ON ONE LEVEL - NO STAIRS.

The knees are the first to give out.

Also? I prefer my own home - no HOA. My folks moved to a condo with an HOA and felt like renters....and were treated like renters. No Thanks. I prefer to hire my own help. And considering the economy there will be a plethora of people wanting to mow lawns, etc.

Additionally, I've never lived in a place bigger than 2500 sq feet. Grew up in a house (with 8 others) with around 1300 sq feet. The more square feet - the more to clean. Small is good - Tiny? Not so much.

Oh - and if you're rural and have to drive to the doc, the store, etc.? What happens when you cannot drive? Be careful of that.

Another related question is when you need assisted living - how much will it cost 20 years down the road?

My mother needed nursing care (after fx her hip) and it cost $8000 a month. Yes, EIGHT THOUSAND DOLLARS A MONTH. Assisted living (after her hip healed) is $4000 a month. And medicare doesn't pay for assisted living.

Maybe in the future hiring live in help will be all the rage..... and cheaper.
All points we have considered which is why we will likely never move to the lot we bought even though it is absolutely beautiful there, and the setting is perfect. {Sigh}

We purchased an LTC policy a couple of years ago that will cover pretty much everything. We are each covered for one million dollars and if one of us dies the remainder of their policy transfers to the other. It includes full in-home care for as long as we need it. No nursing home for us. I'm dying in my own bed.

We are going to move to a ranch. No choice there.

As for HOA: We are seriously considering it. If you could see the junk pit next door to us you would know why. One pig ruins an entire neighborhood, and we have one. I'm looking at tall, narrow evergreens to plant in our front yard so prospective buyers won't easily see this guys pig sty when it's time to sell. I think the key is to carefully research the HOA in the area you are looking and knock on some doors and ask the owners opinion of it. I'll guarantee you you'll hear about it if it sucks. People aren't shy when it comes to complaining!

Old 01-27-2010, 08:28 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,608 posts, read 39,974,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
.. Colorado - too cold. ...Utah - SLC is too cold, St George is pretty bleak and very Mormon. Arizona - ...There is not an ounce of "culture" in the whole State, ... Idaho - too cold. California - too expensive. Northern CA might be a remote possibility. Nevada - ..Vegas and certainly would not want to live there. Maybe Reno, but I think the winter is long. New Mexico - I have not visited so I just don't know.

Portland ..: expensive, crowded, and too many hipsters and freaks. .. I doubt I could handle the clouds and rain. The best choice seems to be southern Oregon - Medford/Ashland. The climate is about right except for a bit too much winter fog and clouds. There is good healthcare, a reasonable population size, an excellent OLLI program, and some level of activity/culture, mostly involving the theater and tourist industry. Medford has an average COL, Ashland was out of sight but housing prices are dropping rapidly.

Yup, trying to find a place to live, downsizing, selling the current house and retiring make for some challenges. With all of that my wife wants to buy a camper and travel and avoid buying or renting. Yup, lots to do.
I thought CO was terrific and some areas are quite mild, a couple cold spells / yr. The sunny warmth allows LOTS of outdoor activity in winter. I grew up near Loveland and probably only had 20 days / yr with snow on ground. I rode my bike to work everyday but 3 the last yr I lived there. (pretty fair taxes and politics in CO)

Try Carson City, NV

while nearby, look at Chico, CA

NM has some nice areas ABQ, Las Cruces / Mesilla have great University integration with retired population. + health care. Bit arid for my tastes.

SE corner of AZ is not too bad.

OR has terrible taxes and politics (2 counties control the state elections).
That said, I would consider Roseburg / Winchester for good weather and college + good medical and reasonable people (lots of retirees too). Some folks like Klamath Falls or Bend (very cheap right now, WAY overbuilt).

You might have got too big of a taste of Portland, it is kinky, but has lots to offer. I've done 25+ yrs across the river (Vancouver, west Gorge) Portland is 20 min (and a state) away, and that is a nice distance. The airport is superb, and I often use the $39-$59 flights to CA. Just went to SA TX for $89 1-way. There are a lot of colleges in Portland, and I really enjoy them hosting Chamber Music NW each summer at Reed College. There are a variety of different free concerts every night in various parks during July and Aug. (good months to visit) the weirdos in Portland have never been a deterrent for me, no more than San Francisco (a frequent weekend CHEAP destination from Portland)

If you want to be 2 hrs to coast, 1 hr to Portland, 30 min to Mt Hood & have better weather, look at Hood River, OR or White Salmon, WA.

If coastal access is not critical, look to Walla Walla, WA. (closer to the parks you mentioned)
Also Wenatchee / Cashmere, WA is a very nice area with great regional bus service to Leavenworth and Chelan. Of course, Sequim, WA is the retiree haven of WA. (low rainfall on west side (but not sunny), beautiful coast, mtns, and close to Canada. (by ferry). A community college nearby in Port Angeles.

Buy the wife a 'woman's RV' i.e. Roadtrek or VW Rialta. Send her on her way and fly and meet her when she finds a spot she likes. Works for me! I do all the parks you mention, sometimes solo. I used to go to Yellowstone 2x / week from Colorado on a weekend delivery job. (a great challenge in winter, but fun as a crazy kid). I have done them all via motorcycle from Colo also (as a kid)... I think WA might be a good spot for you. The parks in Canada and Alaska are heavenly in comparison to US lower 48 parks.
From Walla Walla, you can be in most parks in 1 day. I just drove non-stop from Portland to Zion to see if my car would make it on a single tank of free waste veggie oil.

Our lists are very similar, I'm just looking at options to provide a community for others, I've done enough of finding / building places just for me. I have a passion for housing seniors affordably and comfortably in places they can come, stay and enjoy. I often care for folks in hospice and feel a community is very helpful to most folks. I also know how painful it is to try to move seniors who bite off more than they can chew (usually a big place or a rural place with lots of work.) I just returned home from a multiple x/week helping of elderly couple who have a beautiful rural place (including an airstrip, hangar, shop...). They should have moved to town yrs ago....

There are seniors... then there are SENIORS. At some point rationality abates. Please find your 'agable' home BEFORE that point.

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 01-27-2010 at 08:37 PM..

Old 01-27-2010, 08:54 PM

8,093 posts, read 13,236,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
My wife has relatives in Portland, so we visited Oregon instead of NM. Portland was a serious disappointment: expensive, crowded, and too many hipsters and freaks. Plus I doubt I could handle the clouds and rain. The best choice seems to be southern Oregon - Medford/Ashland. The climate is about right except for a bit too much winter fog and clouds. There is good healthcare, a reasonable population size, an excellent OLLI program, and some level of activity/culture, mostly involving the theater and tourist industry. Medford has an average COL, Ashland was out of sight but housing prices are dropping rapidly.
Might want to take a look a little bit more east - Klamath Falls and the surrounding area.

Old 01-27-2010, 10:43 PM

1,618 posts, read 3,372,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
I have a younger neighbor. He will have a slab in several states with electric and water/sewer hookups on lots he owns and will live in a RV and travel with multiple base slabs. Sounds sorta realistic.
Until he relocates to that final slab in the Morgue?

Old 01-28-2010, 05:10 AM

6,267 posts, read 4,737,090 times
StealthRabbit - and Gandalara, thanks for all of the suggestions. I have a lot to think about. It is hard to come to any decisions about places that I have not visited. I am sure I have eliminated many good choices without adequate information. This past Fall I wanted to see some of Washington in addition to Oregon, but it was just too much for 10 days. Many of your suggestions just do not fit but are probably great choices for someone else. A good example would be Klamath Falls. That is pretty much what I do not want: a small, isolated community. I visited on a Saturday afternoon and thought that there was some sort of emergency evacuation. The entire town was deserted except for a wedding and some sort of small gathering at the park on the west end of town. The running Y seemed to be just another overpriced resort. I would not want to vacation there and certainly would not live there. Some of your other suggestions seem borderline. Your tolerance for cold weather is better than mine. I have a hard time considering any place with more than 20, 30, or 40 inches of snow. I would rather live somewhere else and visit in the summer. That bias would certainly apply to Bend and pretty much every town in Colorado. I think you have a selective memory about winters in Loveland. I can still remember the long winters in Boulder. Maybe Carson City would be a bit milder. Chico is another town that seemed to be in a good location with reasonable weather and costs. I guess I should visit but it is not easy to get to from Long Island.

If I was determined to live near Portland, then Vancouver would be a good choice. The drive is short and the COL and housing choices seem much better. I am not a golfer but I did see on 55+ community that seemed reasonable in price with lots of activities in addition to the golf. I believe the name was Fairview.

Dealing with all of the issues of an ongoing stressful job, getting the house ready to sell, downsizing, and trying to pick a new location 3000 miles away it very difficult. My wife wants to get a camper, travel until we find a place and then resettle. That just adds to the difficulty of the transition. Another option would be to find a place to rent and then look for a more permanent choice. That is probably what we will do. I am trying to watch and understand the housing markets. I don't want to be renting and find that there has been a rebound in housing prices and I then need to pay much more. A few months ago I thought that might be the case and wanted to buy and possibly resell within a couple of years. At this point there is no rebound in sight and renting seems like a better choice. Well,...thanks, now it is time to leave for work.

Old 01-28-2010, 08:29 AM
mlb

Carson City will be just as cold and snowy as Northern Utah.

Vegas? I'd live in snow before I'd live in that ash tray. Same for Reno.

Have friends who raised their family in suburban Vegas. When it hits 120 in the summer - even the pool won't cool you off.

You just don't go outside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement