Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2010, 03:49 PM

739 posts, read 1,848,312 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
I expect to have to move again, if I live long enough. Sooner or later many of us will need some sort of assisted living or even more intensive care. Many of us also expect to live for many years in retirement before those accommodations are necessary.

I thought the preferences were reasonable. I am also not surprised about the decline of golf. There are already way too many retirement choices centered around golf. It seems to me that golf is a hobby of the previous generation and has been declining in popularity.
It could be that golf is as popular as ever but not everyone wants to pay the fees associated with the upkeep of a private course. Not only that, but who wants golf balls hitting their house and accumulating in the back yard?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2010, 03:52 PM

739 posts, read 1,848,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
I have a younger neighbor. He will have a slab in several states with electric and water/sewer hookups on lots he owns and will live in a RV and travel with multiple base slabs. Sounds sorta realistic.
That sounds very interesting! I'd do that. What about having a regular physician, though? Is it feasible to have one in, say three or four different locations?

Old 02-06-2010, 05:49 PM

7,899 posts, read 7,112,201 times
Mobile home lots are not as cheap as you might expect. Some of the lots can be purchased, most are rented. The fees I have seen are about $300/mo. I would guess you would also need to pay those fees for each unoccupied slab. I think my plan to travel in a camper is much cheaper and gives more opportunity to see different parts of the country. Continuum of medical care could be a problem for chronic disease. I plan to have a base camp which serves as a permanent address.

Old 02-07-2010, 10:08 AM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,451,534 times
My elderly in-laws live in a mobile home park in the Greater Los Angeles area. Their rent is $600 a month.

But it works for them....because they need everything on one level - and their 70's era mobile home only cost them $50K. This, after selling their townhome in Northridge for half a million - before the bubble burst.

Old 02-07-2010, 06:53 PM

181 posts, read 687,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
We did the small retirement home in a 55+ until my son had to move in due to his health. I gave up on both, I need 2,200 sq ft. big enough for folks to visit. I happy to get away from 55+, too many cranky old people
We weren't happy in a 55 and over community either. Alot of rules and like you said cranky people. We were glad to ESCAPE.

Old 02-11-2010, 08:53 AM

13,321 posts, read 22,665,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by benice66 View Post
We weren't happy in a 55 and over community either. Alot of rules and like you said cranky people. We were glad to ESCAPE.
I agree. I visited one(55+) this week and although it is very pretty there everyone I met talked of death, ( husband, or both)........
The tone of the realtor was a bit cranky...( she had lived there at one time herself.) The neighbor of the home I looked at was complaining and was heading back home as soon as she could. So the beauty of it...the club...the pool, was sprinkled with the fact that where were the happy-go-lucky?
Where I stay in MB is an all age community. The rules are ok, but kind of a pain when others decide that you are doing something wrong and turn you in. Really, you were not......if they had taken the time to recheck.
All in all, I'd choose the all age. I have met people of all ages here and I really enjoy some of their family members and friends.
The number one best thing for me is that our family members can come without fanfare. The little fellows can arrive for as long as they wish.
It is not that they would be here that long, they have school back home...But it is that they "can" and can stay for how ever long.
In the nine or so years I have came here, not one child has done anything that would cause me to have grief.
I love to hear the little, carefree voices in the distance having fun.
Its the life around me that makes me smile.
So many in the 55+ were about 85+ and quite homebound.
I was questioned in the 55+ about who would visit, and "gosh, oh me...for HOW LONG?"........
That shouldn't be anyones business but my own. Perhaps, one of my daughters would arrive, and then another in the same week........
Many of the communities have that 30 days a year limit.....
So I don't know........I just don't want that much quietness......
I want my kids around until I am 101 and still flying kites on the beach with the little fellows......

Old 02-11-2010, 11:20 AM

7,899 posts, read 7,112,201 times
Apparently not all 55+ communities are created equal. I visited one this Fall and was impressed. The facilities were great with lots of clubs and scheduled activities. I was told that the median age was barely 65 and main of the residents were younger and still working full time.

Old 02-11-2010, 02:04 PM

They are, that is true.......not all are created equal.
However most do have active clubhouse activities either All age or 55+.
Here in our All Ages community there is constant activites. Shows, Holiday Parties, cards, movies...Super Bowl Dinners....Nights with piano music and nights with talent shows.
Very active indeed.
But, I wouldn't mind going over to the park in this community and watching a Easter Egg Hunt also.
Or seeing Santa visit at Christmas time.
I sincerely want to be around life and great spirit........
I find that mostly in the eyes of the little fellows that stop by to visit and enjoy our company....
I never want to say " I've been there, done that."
It would be turning my back on the most joyous days on earth. Time spent with our children and their children.
The 30 day rule on children takes my smile away everytime.

Old 02-11-2010, 02:26 PM

18,725 posts, read 33,390,141 times
Different strokes, eh? I'd race to a childfree place to live. Prohibitions on dogs make more difference to me.

Old 02-16-2010, 08:07 AM

brightdoglover..........
Oh what is fun is that most people here do have dogs......all kinds and colors. They can walk the beach especially during the winter months. Its quite fun to watch them enjoying their ocean walk with their owners.
Oh, some of my happiest days were here with the little fellows. Playing in the sand and flying their kites. Watching their wide eyes at the Aquarium and in the Alligator Place......
Its fun to see them learning and enjoying life.
But, your right........different strokes, to each his own likes and dislikes........We'd bore ourselves if we were all the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement