U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 03:39 PM

3,540 posts, read 6,099,224 times

Advertisements

My wife and i are still over 5 years from retirement, but left our 3500sf home in the mid atlantic region, and went down to florida this winter ( while our area was hit with 3' of snow ) and toured over 6 "active adult" communities to get a sense of the lifestyle.

At some point, we took off our "to be retired" hats, and put on our "investor" hats.

We ended up buying a 14oo+/-sf rancher in the Villages. Once it's built, we plan to rent to long termers.

The way we see it, we've got a foothold in the market. Still haven't decided if we'll move into it, sell it and move up, or keep renting it once we do retire.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2010, 04:02 PM

7,183 posts, read 7,063,462 times
Default Rental Market

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post
My wife and i are still over 5 years from retirement, but left our 3500sf home in the mid atlantic region, and went down to florida this winter ( while our area was hit with 3' of snow ) and toured over 6 "active adult" communities to get a sense of the lifestyle.

At some point, we took off our "to be retired" hats, and put on our "investor" hats.

We ended up buying a 14oo+/-sf rancher in the Villages. Once it's built, we plan to rent to long termers.

The way we see it, we've got a foothold in the market. Still haven't decided if we'll move into it, sell it and move up, or keep renting it once we do retire.
How is the rental market in "The Villages?"

Old 03-05-2010, 04:19 PM

Default 55+ Communities have these features!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
I think you may have misread the list. Here are the non-priority items for older buyers:

A lot of the more popular features in new homes these days don't appeal all that much to older buyers:
  • Island work areas
  • Separate showers
  • Private toilet compartments
  • Sun rooms
  • Woodburning fireplaces
  • Exercise rooms
If you didn't misread it, I'd be interested to learn why you think they're in denial.

Hard to believe the 55+ group wouldn't want some of these. I have noticed many retirement homes have sun rooms, island work areas, and fire places (gas logs). I'm retirement age and love my sunroom. It's great to sit in there and read the morning paper.

Old 03-05-2010, 06:59 PM

3,540 posts, read 6,099,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
How is the rental market in "The Villages?"
Good. I hope.

Otherwise I'll be eating beans and rice till I retire.

Old 03-06-2010, 11:11 AM

28,323 posts, read 40,116,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
I think you may have misread the list. Here are the non-priority items for older buyers:

A lot of the more popular features in new homes these days don't appeal all that much to older buyers:
  • Island work areas
  • Separate showers
  • Private toilet compartments
  • Sun rooms
  • Woodburning fireplaces
  • Exercise rooms
If you didn't misread it, I'd be interested to learn why you think they're in denial.
I came back to see what had changed in this thread and had forgotten about this list. I get a chuckle out of it because these are on our want list:

• Separate showers ( I am assuming they mean tub/shower rather than two showers)
  • Sun rooms
  • Woodburning fireplaces - Depends on where we end up. Gas will do in some parts of the country, but we do love a good fire!
  • Exercise rooms - Considering our knees and hips at least an area reserved for this.
But everything will stay questionable until we are actually ready for that move. You never know what will change over the course of a few years...

Old 03-06-2010, 11:47 AM

16,133 posts, read 20,915,173 times
The question is, how will you live if you can no longer drive? All of the developers just walk away from that

Old 03-06-2010, 01:46 PM

Default Can't Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
The question is, how will you live if you can no longer drive? All of the developers just walk away from that
I so agree. Most of these 55+ are way out in the rural area when first built and the residents are lucky if there is even a grocery store nearby. I sure don't want to have to drive a long way for necessities when I am 80!

Old 03-06-2010, 06:18 PM

13,320 posts, read 20,206,435 times
Quote:
I so agree. Most of these 55+ are way out in the rural area when first built and the residents are lucky if there is even a grocery store nearby. I sure don't want to have to drive a long way for necessities when I am 80!
Very true ......way out in the rural area is not good for "old age."
Having stores close by is necessary. People need to bring that into the forefront of their decisions. What happens when you can't drive, or can't shovel? Where exactly would you need to be at that time?
Especially if you are like my Mom,she wanted to remain in her home always.

Old 03-07-2010, 11:21 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,854 posts, read 40,317,103 times
Quote:
Yes !!! Think AHEAD (realistically please...)
The couple I am currently helping to relocate (now aged 85+) moved to the boonies and built in their early 70's (40 mountainous miles from medical). They have lots of stuff. Airplanes, airstrip, machine shop, tractors, motorhomes, cars, trucks, motorcycles, huge garden (flower), several out buildings to repair and maintain, wood heat.

Some minor problems for me....(I HATE marketing) BUT, I need to find:
  • a pilot, Property MUST legally sell to a licensed pilot
  • a 'bush pilot' - difficult grass strip with canyon (down drafts) on one end and 300' tall trees on other end
  • who's single, or spouse desires to live in the boonies.
  • can pay cash (owner too sick to carry loan, banks won't lend on the 'improvements' (mobile home))
  • handy man (plenty of maint on an ongoing basis)

Interestingly, 80% of my prospects are near age 70. I really appreciate their stamina and vision!!, Most are capable of making it work, today... and I hope for a long time into the future.

I have also worked to help keep seniors in their 'dream' homes, and I have really enjoyed the gratitude they feel as they age in the homes they built AFTER retirement. They can enjoy watching the birds, deer, bear that they have awakened too for the last 25 yrs. This has worked in some cases, but has caused serious consternation within the families. (their own kids are not to happy with me 'enabling' their parents to remain remote).

It's a tough call, but for some it is very simply their most probable longevity. I have seen plenty of older men, just 'give-up' and die as soon as they move off the 'farm'. Their wives are typically much more adept at blossoming in the new relationships and structure of apartment living.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement