U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2010, 06:12 PM

3,359 posts, read 10,918,106 times

Advertisements

I'd appreciate some input about a couple of things.

Bought a mobile home in Central Fl last year for the six month, six month thing. Getting use to it here and sure beats the lovely, but snowy Great Lakes region. Nice shopping, more entertainment, and right in the middle of things: no support network at all though and no friends. I could adjust and see myself living here fulltime if necessary with jaunts north in summer to see family, or to move in with them if health necessitated.

Choices - Have a small regular income not enough to live on on my own currently sharing rent with bf. 1) Can live a life of strict monetary discipline for the time being and rely on kids (doing well) for half my support after this present circumstance ends sooner, later, or maybe never. Days are busy doing routine stuff, if working house would turn into a dump not under my auspices which wouldn't be pretty.

Or, 2) - This would increase my pitiful SS and let me save up some for future years. Looking at an online certificate in Human Resources at a school I respect that would wipe out half my bank account and leave me with not much $ at all, hoping that my age and experience (former business owner) would be a plus even though I haven't worked in ten years. Kind of out of the loop - feasible? Bf says he thinks I was a four star general in a former life so job lite might not be appropriate. Alternatively, an MA in something to teach?

Or, 3) Come up with a new business of my own - thoughts or ideas for one?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2010, 08:18 PM

48,516 posts, read 83,999,418 times
One thing that will really take getting use to if you haven't been employed for years is learning to work your life around work rather than your work around your life.It can be a real adjustment that leads to failure at work.

Old 02-04-2010, 09:37 PM

Thanks texdav, I always appreciate your feedback. That certainly is a consideration and a factor I may not be able to adjust to. I wouldn't let it lead to a failure at work but it could lead to a failure at life, which wouldn't really be acceptable either.

It's hard to stop being agressive when you've had to be all your life even though I know i've slowed down from a thousand miles an hour. I'll have to do some serious thinking about this. I've had a couple of per diem jobs in that time and can't adjust to not taking over as that is what my position had always been previously. Perhaps coming up with an idea for my own small business would be a better option? I also hear that adjunct teaching doesn't pay much and not a good return for the investment of an MA.

Last edited by Sgoldie; 02-04-2010 at 09:55 PM..

Old 02-05-2010, 10:55 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,652 posts, read 40,020,325 times
consider your activity desires, doing your own business is 24/7++ (as you know)

There are also 'fixed-costs' making it more difficult on a PT basis.

I would try a few PT jobs before committing to edu. Lord knows we need some better adjuncts (just finished a master's program, and had ~ 20% adjuncts of whom 50% were just there for the few bucks, ZERO content brought to class (when they bothered to come)).

Maybe audit some classes, but I would look at some admin jobs in school districts, or PT jobs where you could utilize your expertise. (or 1099 personal sub-contracting gigs) It is nice to be able to LEAVE work, and nice to know YOU are not SOLELY responsible for the success of the joint.

Good luck, get out of the house and see what's cooking.

Old 02-05-2010, 12:42 PM

Good thoughts. I'm probably one of the only women you know who has never been either a waitress or a secretary (admin asst). One of the fewer who has never worked for anybody else other than per diem training gigs. I'd probably overwhelm any students, which might be a good thing, a possible option.

Considering how much time I've spent researching cars lately It's crossed my mind to open a car lot (or maybe I should become a detective with that dig-in mindset)?

This helps. Writing thoughts down without having any feedback other than talking to myself hasn't worked well to date. Yes, need to get out more.

Old 02-05-2010, 01:41 PM

482 posts, read 2,204,525 times
Sgoldie-- I just retired after a 30 year career in public administration working at state and local governments, ended my career over finance and human resource operations of a government. I highly recommend you do not go get a certificate in human resources, it really isn't going to give you enough of a credential to make much more than starting pay assuming you'd find a job, especially in central Fl. which is where I retired from. If you are going to go back to get a certificate in something, do it in something in the medical field like mamogram machine operations or some specific area like that that you are most likely going to be able to get a job doing. Really try to stay in the health care field because that is where there are sure to be job opportunities. I am only 50 and think I may get bored in time and have thought about doing something similar if I want to get back into the work force.

Old 02-10-2010, 10:32 PM

48,516 posts, read 83,999,418 times
My wife retired as a administive assit to public works director and she loved it. She worked in other jobs but its hard to beat the benefits and retirement in government really.But like she says you need to work with people easily;not get involved in politcs either inner office or otherwsie.She said its like working in any office she ever worked but less pressure overall and certainly not has much work. My wife worked in several hoospitals and she said she would never work there unless at least the RN level.Even then they tend to come and go because of one dissatisfaction or another.my wife retired after 32 years in government service with good retirement and benefits for the dergee she had.My wife satrted out as a police dispatcher until she finished her degree and as she says that made her appracited the low stress and working conditions in her later government jobs.

Old 02-11-2010, 11:54 AM

482 posts, read 2,204,525 times
I just retired after 30 years in government at state and local level in Florida. My expertise is public finance. Unfortunately in Florida and many other places government is cutting jobs, not filling vacancies, government work today isn't what it use to be. My friends who still work for the State of Florida haven't had a raise in 6 years and don't expect to see one in the near future, local goverments live on ad valorem taxes and those are falling with the real estate market so more cuts are expected among Florida's local governments. My Mom was a career government employee and that was what attracted me but I see them planning to cut the pension way back, uping the health ins. costs and not providing any annual raises at present, I just don't see government employees being treated like they use to.......

Old 02-11-2010, 05:08 PM

I've applied for a couple of government jobs mostly because they aren't suppose to discriminate by age, are practically the only employer left that still gives pensions, and are the largest employer in the country. Haven't heard anything and have no rabbi to push my application through. Consider it a long shot because of the above stated reasons expressed by GuntersvilleBoomer.

If it weren't for lack of car here at present I'm sure it would help if I could interact more with some movers and shakers for contacts. Not too many where I live.

Another problem I have is that every one of my work references are dead sans one or two former employees who worked for me and a few personal friends I could note on an application. The more I think about it the more I realize I'm not going to easily fit into any established structure. Too long out.

I should probably look at my personal interests to come up with a path to make money: public policy, organization, events, mentoring, people, painting, music, travel, cooking, golf, swimming, exotic cars, finance, and obsessive architectural design drawing. I'll look and see what volunteer positions are available to see if they can lead to something too.

Old 02-15-2010, 11:45 PM

462 posts, read 873,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgoldie View Post
I've applied for a couple of government jobs mostly because they aren't suppose to discriminate by age, are practically the only employer left that still gives pensions, and are the largest employer in the country. Haven't heard anything and have no rabbi to push my application through. Consider it a long shot because of the above stated reasons expressed by GuntersvilleBoomer.
I worked for many years as an oil co. admin asst; then I got an associates in HR and worked for the federal government contractor in a HR positions for 10 years. Husband and I moved via fed govt (his position) to a smaller location (outside Alaska in a warmer climate). We located to a small town in NM.

What I want to tell you is that age discrimination is alive and well. When you start looking your age and the person interviewing you is younger than you are and more so, you're not feeling a sense that you're not connecting with the interviewer than you will be discriminated against. It happens all the time. It happened to me in Alaska after my govt contract job ended after 10 years. Fortunately a year later, I got hired on in HR with the Army in Alaska but then six months later, my husband got offered a position in NM that we could not turn down.

It's useless to try to prove it. Persistence is key! Keep putting those applications out wherever you feel you're qualified and keep interviewing. You will run into some people wherein you will 'click' with and get an offer; but persistence is key. Fighting discrimination is a waste of time.

I am now at 61 back in school to get an RN cert hoping that my age won't stand in my way for getting to be able to work again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or