U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2010, 07:29 PM

1,534 posts, read 3,780,673 times

Advertisements

Avalon08 - Airfare Feb 2 was $ 337.42 roundtrip + baggage out of Baltimore (BWI) Maryland. Car rental is not cheap and since we ramble quite a bit in the boonies we get a 4x4 Toyota 4 Runner, with insurance its just about $1,500/month. Cheaper deals are available for econo cars.
You don't have to rent a car here if you're not playing tourist. The public bus system is excellent and cheap if you're comfortable with that option.

Faithful Frank
I understand the landlord perspective perfectly and feel sorry for owners that have to deal wih pet people that don't read well. There are pet friendly rentals available, one just has to do a little more searching.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2010, 12:09 AM

7 posts, read 14,982 times
That sounds like a great idea. In southern California, there is a community called Laguna Woods where you can rent fully furnished coops for $1200/month for a 1 bedroom. Laguna Woods Village Southern California Retirement Community. The coops have a maximum rental period of 6 months, so they are used to short term tenants. There are other 55+ communities that offer rentals as well, I could see which ones offer month to month vs. a 1 year lease.

Old 02-08-2010, 08:16 AM

171 posts, read 532,481 times
Great feedback. Thank you, everyone! Would be interested to hear from others who are actually living the scenario.

I didn't see a lot of rentals in the $1500 a month range on the VRBO site (a very well laid-out site, by the way), but there were a few. Like one poster said, I guess you have to do the research.

Costa Rica sounds fantastic!

Marymorrisre, I didn't see information about rentals on the link you posted. The prices and area you describe are what I have in mind, though. Am I just missing the rental information on the site?

Old 02-08-2010, 11:02 AM

482 posts, read 2,202,989 times
Be sure to look on Craigslist too, in various cities in Florida you'll see plenty of short term rentals, just be careful to check anything out real well, there are scammers too wanting you to pay in advance, etc., but many are rented by management companies, if you see something you like, be sure to make them an offer if price is too high, everyone who really wants to rent out a vacant property is open to an offer especially if you will rent it for several months. My brother rents out a beachside condo he has to snowbirds and it works well for them both and his rate is around $1500 a month so you can find something nice if you keep looking.

Old 02-09-2010, 03:05 PM

That's the ticket. I used to live in Laguna Beach once upon a time and know the area well. Thanks lagunalass!

Old 02-10-2010, 06:29 PM

1 posts, read 1,684 times
Sorry, Newt, that my recommendation to you about Laguna Woods was deleted by Faithful Frank. I live here, not an agent and was just trying to be helpful. I have just joined this board and was hoping for a good experience. Apparently new people are discouraged.

Old 02-11-2010, 09:46 AM

Oh no, I hadn't saved the link yet. Lagunalass, would you please PM me with it?

Old 02-11-2010, 03:32 PM

4,404 posts, read 5,920,828 times
Newt, Laguna Woods is in a beautiful area....I myself was hoping to move there last year, but family issues have kept me in PA. I was working with an agent out there who would e-mail me rental listings. If you'd like, I can try to find her name.

You said you wanted to hear from some snowbirds -- I know there are some on the FL threads....my cousins also actually do this every year (rent in Cape Coral FL for the winter).....besides trying to find a lower-cost short-term rental, what other questions did you have?

Old 02-11-2010, 05:31 PM

13,320 posts, read 20,137,343 times
The Myrtle beach area ( Surfside Beach, SC) is very pet friendly.
We have our home in PA and rent down here along with others from Vermont,NJ, NH, NY, MI, and other northern states.
This is an all age community. Rates are reasonable and many homes are pet friendly here.
You golf cart to the beach and have an indoor pool.....lots of parties and community fun.
DM me if you would like more information.
Most of the homes here are very, very, nice.....
We have a small pet and have had no issues at all for the 8 or so years we have gone south.
The airport is nearby for your friends to come visit you.
There are lots of shows and entertainment in the area. Everyone has a wonderful time.
BTW ....my first home here I got through VRBO but after that people here help you find other homes that can be more suited to your needs.
Most homes come with carts included

Old 02-12-2010, 08:03 AM

Avalon 08, re: ĒÖwhat other questions do you have?Ē I guess I just wanted to hear details like Summering provided, from people that own one home and rent elsewhere during the winter. I hadnít seen much written about this approach. Many snowbirds seem to either RV, or own two homes. The great thing about renting would be that you can select a different area whenever you chose. Itís like having the mobility of an RV, but without having to lug that big house-on-wheels everywhere.

Summering, your lifestyle sounds great, and it also sounds like you have no regrets! Iíve always wanted to visit that area. Thanks for those details.

P.S. Avalon08, thanks for the offer of the real estate agent, Iím not at that point yet. I was hoping that lagunalass would re-send me that link, because it had a comprehensive listing of what places were available at Laguna Woods and it was easy to navigate; a good reference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or