U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2010, 09:02 AM

13,320 posts, read 20,154,374 times

Advertisements

Well, to check the area there is a good real estate that does "rentals" for Surfside Beach, which is ( to me ) the most pet friendly. It took me awhile to find it myself.....and so glad we did.
When your here ( or if you decide to visit) you can stay for a few months reasonable. Or to look things over rent for one month even.
What we do for enjoyment is go to Broadway at the Beach......a good walking area with lots of restaurants. We go to Market Commons which is an upcoming place with shops and outdoor eating cafe's. Heading to Barefoot landing is fun......more restaurants, walking bridges, stores, little shops.
After that......there is the Dixie Stampede a fun dinner and show for the evenings. Try the Ledgends for some great singing and a fantastic show. Sometimes we head to Murrells Inlet a great area with walkways, and restaurants........all looking out onto the Marsh lands.
The Opry show next door to the Dixie Stampede also has some wonderful shows.
There are great entertainers who come to the Alabama Theater.
Also our area has a wonderful new mall, the Coastal Mall........with the most comfortable Movie theater of all. Well, besides that the Market Commons has a great theater too.
Tonight we are going to the Medieval Times a dinner and show event. Sunday is a Mardi Gras with friends at Flo's in Murrells.
So..........I have to say that there is always something to do here. Especially in this community where the club holds many parties and shows.
We do enjoy our three months here and head home for Easter with our children.

Oh no, no regrets.........we look forward to coming each year.

I just would never check it out during bike weeks......a bit too crowded for us, but that is not in the winters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2010, 01:28 AM

5 posts, read 24,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newt View Post
I posted this in the general forum without much luck. Didn't realize there was a retirement forum, which might be more appropriate. Hopefully, there will be some feedback here, and thanks in advance:

I’ve been toying with the idea of buying a house in one location, and renting in another, with an emphasis on not breaking the bank. The idea is to buy a nice house in one of the less expensive states, like the Midwest, then rent somewhere sunny during the bulk of the winter, say three to four months. I don’t want to own two properties, and I’m not really into RV’ing, so I’d like to be able to rent a decent house or condo for a fairly reasonable price, like say $1500 or so per month, but only for 3 to 4 months a year.

Seems like it would be neat to have a change of pace like that and not have to fork out so much money for those unreasonably high home prices in good-weather-all-year locations like the So. California coast.

Has anybody else done this successfully? Were you able to do it on a continuous basis, or did it get old quickly? Also, is it easy to find rentals in that price range in sunny, winter locations? I’ve looked at some “vacation” rentals, and the prices are too high, like $1500 a week.
Hello Newt,

My husband worked in the Philippines and enjoyed the years he was there. Years later, we bought a beachfront property in the Philippines with the intention of retiring there.

When we were back in Europe, we bought a vacation house in the south of Spain. We still have it. But then, it is also cold (about 5°C) in the winter.

So we are still thinking of spending some months in the Philippines when we are retired. I am considering of building on the beach property my dream house long before our retirement days if I will find somebody who will be interested to rent it for minimum 3 years.

Retirement will definitely come. I know Philippines is not so cheap anymore. But the property is in Camarines Sur, and there is really affordable. I believe with your $700 you could live there with a live-in housemaid/cook and a chauffeur.

Old 02-13-2010, 09:28 PM

1,663 posts, read 2,266,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summering View Post
The Myrtle beach area ( Surfside Beach, SC) is very pet friendly.
We have our home in PA and rent down here along with others from Vermont,NJ, NH, NY, MI, and other northern states.
This is an all age community. Rates are reasonable and many homes are pet friendly here.
You golf cart to the beach and have an indoor pool.....lots of parties and community fun.
DM me if you would like more information.
Most of the homes here are very, very, nice.....
We have a small pet and have had no issues at all for the 8 or so years we have gone south.
The airport is nearby for your friends to come visit you.
There are lots of shows and entertainment in the area. Everyone has a wonderful time.
BTW ....my first home here I got through VRBO but after that people here help you find other homes that can be more suited to your needs.
Most homes come with carts included
Summering...had a few questions about MB and tried to send you a DM, but got the message that you weren't accepting messages??? I'd like more info on the rentals where you stay...thanks! Appreciate it!

Old 02-15-2010, 04:09 PM

4,409 posts, read 5,935,435 times
Newt, yes, I think we got sidetracked by the discussion of whether you could rent in a warm-weather location for $1500/mo. As to your original question of whether people own in one place and rent in another -- tons of snowbirds do just that. As I mentioned, my cousins rent different places in FL every year (same town though). My mother's over-55 community in FL has many winter seasonal rentals. If you want to hone in more specifically on advantages v. disadvantages of seasonal winter rentals by snowbirds, maybe you should title your thread something like that and post here or in the states' forums you'd be interested in? Just a thought.

Old 02-16-2010, 07:36 AM

171 posts, read 532,940 times
Thanks for the suggestion, Avalon. I think everyone’s contribution has been insightful. My main concern was feasibility (price range), and this idea appears to be feasible! Thanks to all for your responses, and anyone else is welcome to add.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or