U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2010, 05:47 AM

34,673 posts, read 33,671,635 times

Advertisements

Thought you might be interested in this piece about the expected needs of retiring Australian baby boomers from a study that was conducted.

"One of the stipulations that came through the Monash focus groups time and time again was that boomers didn't just want to volunteer; they wanted meaningful engagement. By this they meant doing something that made a difference and that used (and acknowledged) their skills. For example, if they acquired management skills in their working lives they wanted to use those same skills in retirement. "

Cashing in on baby boomer plans | The Australian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2010, 10:53 AM

5,393 posts, read 21,385,099 times
Maybe, maybe not... I retired from a management position and after years of managing large initiatives and budgets with hundreds of people and all the challenges that go with them, I am DONE. I retired to let someone else take on those jobs. When I offer my time it is to provide some of my effort tempered with wisdom on a smaller focus but I sure am not interested a 'large meaningful engagement'.

Old 02-11-2010, 11:15 AM

48,516 posts, read 83,890,268 times
They are talking about overall not individaul cases in those that volunteer.Its always better to have skilled people do what their skill is really. I know lots of former skilled positons that volunterr to do just that with their skills after retirement.

Old 02-11-2010, 02:25 PM

13,314 posts, read 25,546,272 times
I sure don't want to do mental health nursing in retirement!
Wouldn't mind using my copyedit skills somewhere. I also would like to tutor/teach ESL for poor people.

I do hope to spend chunks of time in first retirement living elsewhere and maybe volunteering, maybe just checking it out (thinking of Utah for the animal sanctuary, summers in high Colorado). I wouldn't sell my house back East- I think my house in the East is a pretty good place to get old older, less driving compared to the Mountain West, great medical. I have always wanted more than one life, and have learned not to tear one up to adopt another. I see the freedom of retirement (assuming health and earlier retirement) to be the chance to go somewhere, rent, check it out, maybe volunteer, yet have a place to return to that likely will work much better for older age.

Old 02-13-2010, 05:44 AM

34,673 posts, read 33,671,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelena View Post
Maybe, maybe not... I retired from a management position and after years of managing large initiatives and budgets with hundreds of people and all the challenges that go with them, I am DONE. I retired to let someone else take on those jobs. When I offer my time it is to provide some of my effort tempered with wisdom on a smaller focus but I sure am not interested a 'large meaningful engagement'.
Aw, but you know what happens? You belong to some club/organization vowing to just be a face in the crowd and the first issue that comes up where no one knows what to do, you wind up giving advice. Then they all look at you with puppy dog eyes and plead with you to lead them. You get so sick and tired of offering advice and seeing it not executed effectively and/or efficiently you can't help yourself. You get sucked into the job.

Old 02-13-2010, 03:41 PM

28,232 posts, read 39,872,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Aw, but you know what happens? You belong to some club/organization vowing to just be a face in the crowd and the first issue that comes up where no one knows what to do, you wind up giving advice. Then they all look at you with puppy dog eyes and plead with you to lead them. You get so sick and tired of offering advice and seeing it not executed effectively and/or efficiently you can't help yourself. You get sucked into the job.
And I would eventually drop that club/organization.

Old 02-13-2010, 05:22 PM

5,393 posts, read 21,385,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Thus far I have managed to relax (or bite my tongue in some situations) and just accept that some with questionable judgment will call the shots at times. I am learning that being a quiet follower with occasional reduced satisfaction is not a bad choice at this point in my life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement