U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-11-2010, 02:15 PM
 
13,316 posts, read 25,550,246 times
Reputation: 20495

Advertisements

Santa Fe isn't as expensive as people think-look at condo prices. I'm not sure about the quality of medical care, although it has improved as more people retire there. Not much college presence- St. John's is about it. Good farmers' markets, tons and tons of cultural interest (and free- galleries, public art) lots of writers. Brilliant sun almost every day, even while the winters are chilly, it's dry and wonderful. No natural disaster issues around.
A lot of people look at Huntsville, Alabama. Friends of mine refuged there from New Orleans. Lots of rocket scientists at the facility there and the amenities that go with an educated populace. I think the State U has a campus there, if not the main campus. I'd consider it if I could stand the thought of humidity (which I can't).
I've heard that people with MS are sensitive to extremes of both heat and cold. My former boyfriend with MS had more trouble with heat/humidity and made sure any house he lived in (Massachusetts) had a satisfying, dry heat fireplace or stove).
I spent a month in Chico a long time ago. Farm country all around, food markets and green activities. Friends of mine started a little homebrew thing that became Sierra Nevade Brew Company, and it continues to be a real force for green activity and music and right living for a lot of people. Loads of veg and vegans. Summers are HOT. Not a major earthquake risk that I know of- about 2-3 hours north of Sacramento, fruit tree country
Do remember that the New Madrid (MO) fault is a killer waiting to blow again- and would likely terribly effect St.Louis to Memphis (or is it Nashville). I wouldn't live anywhere near there if I wanted to choose an area that had minimal natural hazards. (Although Boston is actually a hazard zone. I have earthquake insurance, 35 miles inland from Boston. All that old masonry on fill land...)
Best wishes on your place search. I know MS is a very tough illness to make plans around and I feel for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-11-2010, 02:21 PM
 
13,316 posts, read 25,550,246 times
Reputation: 20495
Add- just re-read the OP's desires.
Tucson is blastingly hot in its season.
If I worried about a power failure in a cold season, please remember that a wood stove is a source of heat that isn't dependent on electricity, and you could easily use it for the duration of the power failure. Also, most cities have emergency shelter plans in the event of major power disruption- for heat and for cold. You could always be in touch with whatever Council on Aging or police (if a smaller town) and have them aware that you will need some help if a power failure occurs in cold weather. (In my 18 years outside Boston, I lost power last year for three days in an ice storm. Miserable, and couldn't go to a hotel because of my multiple dogs, plus everything seemed booked. My solution is to either buy a very small, cheap generator for such emergencies (just need heat- you can use a hurricane lamp and wait for power to come back) or a wood stove, which I'd like to have anyway for the pleasure of it.
It is unlikely that places like Santa Fe would be buried in a blizzard, plus it seems that ice storms cause power outages where there are lots of trees, like the East Coast.
Thinking again, I'd really consider looking into Huntsville, Alabama. I think it might have all your major considerations.
Keep us posted?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-11-2010, 03:29 PM
 
Location: Nashville, Tn
7,916 posts, read 16,793,012 times
Reputation: 5454
brightdoglover wrote:
Quote:
Do remember that the New Madrid (MO) fault is a killer waiting to blow again- and would likely terribly effect St.Louis to Memphis (or is it Nashville).
It's Memphis that's at risk and the fault runs quite a bit further north along the Mississippi River. It's a very rare event when the New Madrid fault causes an earthquake but in the past it was an incredibly powerful quake that was felt over hundreds of miles away. Now that there are major population centers along this fault it could conceivably be catastrophic. Most earthquakes happen along the borders of tektonic plates but this particular one is right in the middle of a plate which is not typical but can happen.
I thought of another couple of places worth considering in New Mexico, Las Cruces and Ruidoso. Santa Fe and Taos are beautiful places as well. The problem you might have there is the fact that they're both at high elevations and winter might be a problem if you don't like the cold.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-11-2010, 04:01 PM
 
Location: SoCal desert
8,093 posts, read 13,227,512 times
Reputation: 14870
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Do remember that the New Madrid (MO) fault is a killer waiting to blow again- and would likely terribly effect St.Louis to Memphis (or is it Nashville).
A few years ago, I read a book (fiction) called The Rift by Walter Jon Williams about the New Madrid blowing.

Woo!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-11-2010, 04:52 PM
 
4,572 posts, read 7,055,913 times
Reputation: 4222
I've explored alot of locations and, sorry to say, really can't think of any place in the US that doesn't have some potential for natural disasters, or else very hot or cold (snow)...I personally would rather live with snow (it's not permanent and low chance of it killing you). I've always thought it's easier to keep warm than it is to keep cool but that's just me. Maybe something has to give on your list, because there's no perfect place. But if you find it, please let us all know because we want to move there too
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-11-2010, 09:27 PM
 
Location: Florida Gulf Coast
4,404 posts, read 5,920,828 times
Reputation: 7121
I agree (no perfect place). I think you have to look at the probability of a natural disaster....e.g., the East Coast has had a lot of snow this winter, but that's not been the norm. Those anomalies don't compare with living on an earthquake fault, or a low-lying area that historically floods, or an island that's constantly battered by hurricanes, etc. I would not rule out Southern CA because of the earthquake risk (I did experience an earthquake when I lived there but luckily it was mild)....I would be more concerned about wildfires, smog, traffic and the state budget. I have considered FL but am not a fan of humidity and bugs. I haven't considered AZ because it's too far from the ocean, it's not in a major metropolitan area and I think the dryness would bother me. Not criticizing those areas, just narrowing down my priorities. So I end up staying exactly where I am, which is not perfect but pretty darn great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-11-2010, 09:42 PM
 
5,090 posts, read 13,543,532 times
Reputation: 6928
Natural Disasters are rare and are not the biggest threat to your life. A much bigger problem of dying, or getting hurt is driving in your car. So, I would suggest find a place that the weather suits your medical problems; is a safe clean city and then make sure it has good public transit. Drive less or not at all and you will be much safer.

As a note, with your medical problems, you will be qualified for door to door handicapped transit and perhaps, as in in Denver, get a free bus pass for all the buses and trains. That should save you a great deal of money.

Livecontent
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-12-2010, 09:37 AM
 
Location: Oxygen Ln. AZ
9,321 posts, read 16,575,490 times
Reputation: 5692
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Santa Fe isn't as expensive as people think-look at condo prices. I'm not sure about the quality of medical care, although it has improved as more people retire there. Not much college presence- St. John's is about it. Good farmers' markets, tons and tons of cultural interest (and free- galleries, public art) lots of writers. Brilliant sun almost every day, even while the winters are chilly, it's dry and wonderful. No natural disaster issues around.
A lot of people look at Huntsville, Alabama. Friends of mine refuged there from New Orleans. Lots of rocket scientists at the facility there and the amenities that go with an educated populace. I think the State U has a campus there, if not the main campus. I'd consider it if I could stand the thought of humidity (which I can't).
I've heard that people with MS are sensitive to extremes of both heat and cold. My former boyfriend with MS had more trouble with heat/humidity and made sure any house he lived in (Massachusetts) had a satisfying, dry heat fireplace or stove).
I spent a month in Chico a long time ago. Farm country all around, food markets and green activities. Friends of mine started a little homebrew thing that became Sierra Nevade Brew Company, and it continues to be a real force for green activity and music and right living for a lot of people. Loads of veg and vegans. Summers are HOT. Not a major earthquake risk that I know of- about 2-3 hours north of Sacramento, fruit tree country
Do remember that the New Madrid (MO) fault is a killer waiting to blow again- and would likely terribly effect St.Louis to Memphis (or is it Nashville). I wouldn't live anywhere near there if I wanted to choose an area that had minimal natural hazards. (Although Boston is actually a hazard zone. I have earthquake insurance, 35 miles inland from Boston. All that old masonry on fill land...)
Best wishes on your place search. I know MS is a very tough illness to make plans around and I feel for you.
Well heck, we frequented Sierra Nevada Brewery all the time in Chico when we lived there. What a great story those guys had starting to make beer in their bathtub, ha. Loved the new building.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-12-2010, 10:08 AM
 
544 posts, read 1,268,502 times
Reputation: 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
Natural Disasters are rare and are not the biggest threat to your life. A much bigger problem of dying, or getting hurt is driving in your car. So, I would suggest find a place that the weather suits your medical problems; is a safe clean city and then make sure it has good public transit. Drive less or not at all and you will be much safer.

As a note, with your medical problems, you will be qualified for door to door handicapped transit and perhaps, as in in Denver, get a free bus pass for all the buses and trains. That should save you a great deal of money.

Livecontent
I do use a cane (I think I would use one even if I didn't need it -- it's great protection!), but I get around okay because I work out every day. I've been doing this for years.

I'm a musician and I've been thinking about Nashville. Didn't someone recommend that, as well? There is a chance of tornadoes but other than that, I don't think there are many negatives, for me anyway.

I want to be somewhere I can play the violin a lot and get a lot of good students; I bet that would be a great place.

What a wildly difficult decision this is! But in the long run, I think you have to leave the pro/con lists alone and go with your gut. Mine tells me I'd have fun in Nashville.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-12-2010, 10:11 AM
 
544 posts, read 1,268,502 times
Reputation: 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
Well heck, we frequented Sierra Nevada Brewery all the time in Chico when we lived there. What a great story those guys had starting to make beer in their bathtub, ha. Loved the new building.
I did check out Chico (thank you), and it looks gorgeous. There just aren't many performance opportunities that pay. And I'd better stay away from someplace where there's legal marijuana; I'm distzy enough as it is!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top