U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2010, 10:55 AM

5,090 posts, read 13,548,911 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scsigurl3000 View Post
I do use a cane (I think I would use one even if I didn't need it -- it's great protection!), but I get around okay because I work out every day. I've been doing this for years.

I'm a musician and I've been thinking about Nashville. Didn't someone recommend that, as well? There is a chance of tornadoes but other than that, I don't think there are many negatives, for me anyway.

I want to be somewhere I can play the violin a lot and get a lot of good students; I bet that would be a great place.

What a wildly difficult decision this is! But in the long run, I think you have to leave the pro/con lists alone and go with your gut. Mine tells me I'd have fun in Nashville.
I also use a cane and sometimes a walker/rollator as I have a mobility disorder. I did not mean to insinuate that using a Handicapped bus is an insult to your ability to move around. I sometimes use that bus.

Since my condition changes daily and many times I can move better, I just use the regular buses. That is why Public Transit gives free passes to the disabled because they know that sometimes the disabled have better mobility and do not need the para-transit bus; it puts less strain on the resource and saves it for those who truly need it that day.

I always say as we age we need good public transit, good health care and a safe city to live. Denver fits that description.

Just to note that Denver has one of the largest performing complex in the nation The Denver Center for the Performing Arts Denver is a thriving modern, clean, safe city that is attracting the best and brightest to the Great West. We can use a person with your talents and abilities in our area.

Livecontent
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2010, 01:09 PM

2,172 posts, read 6,887,502 times
Do look closely at Knoxville and the surrounding area. The University of Tennessee has an excellent music department and the city has a good symphony with a children's symphony as well as a highly regarded opera company. The live music scene in general is very lively. Check out Metropulse.com online for more information.
UT Knoxville | School of Music
Knoxville Symphony Orchestra
Farmers markets are readily available. The state of Tennessee actively supports them as well as more organic farming and is promoting both as a way to keep the family farm in the family.
http://www.picktnproducts.org/
You can find a farmers' market near Knoxville most any day of the week in season. There are lots of small farms not far out of the city and even in the city.
We have four real seasons but they never get real nasty.
Medical care is excellent. UT has a teaching hospital.

Old 02-12-2010, 03:18 PM

5,090 posts, read 13,548,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knoxgarden View Post
Do look closely at Knoxville and the surrounding area. The University of Tennessee has an excellent music department and the city has a good symphony with a children's symphony as well as a highly regarded opera company. The live music scene in general is very lively. Check out Metropulse.com online for more information.
UT Knoxville | School of Music
Knoxville Symphony Orchestra
Farmers markets are readily available. The state of Tennessee actively supports them as well as more organic farming and is promoting both as a way to keep the family farm in the family.
Welcome to Pick Tennessee Products.
You can find a farmers' market near Knoxville most any day of the week in season. There are lots of small farms not far out of the city and even in the city.
We have four real seasons but they never get real nasty.
Medical care is excellent. UT has a teaching hospital.
I have to tell you that before I started posting on this forum, I knew nothing about Knoxville. I started reading your posts and I became intrigued. Knoxville really is very nice city and the area is great.

But back many decades, when many of my crowd was leaving New York, Florida was big for retirement; California was still a lure; Texas was the big places to find a job and Phoenix was starting to be a big draw. But Knoxville,Tennessee, and many good areas in that area were not on the map for people.

But if I knew, what I know today, I would have seriously considered Knoxville. I love Denver and I think it a great city that is coming into the spotlight but Knoxville can also be a good choice of a place to live.

Livecontent

Old 02-12-2010, 05:23 PM

16,042 posts, read 18,978,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
A few years ago, I read a book (fiction) called The Rift by Walter Jon Williams about the New Madrid blowing.

Woo!!
I lived in mid Missouri during the last new madrid quake. The media from all over the country descended. If I remember right, it wasn't as bad as expected but the bootheel is a major fault. Earthquakes happen all over the US. If you are retired and living in a one floor dwelling I wouldn't worry so much. In a high rise, maybe. I would turn down a vacation in CA. Don't do well with quakes or even the thought of one.

Old 02-12-2010, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
I have to tell you that before I started posting on this forum, I knew nothing about Knoxville. I started reading your posts and I became intrigued. Knoxville really is very nice city and the area is great.

But back many decades, when many of my crowd was leaving New York, Florida was big for retirement; California was still a lure; Texas was the big places to find a job and Phoenix was starting to be a big draw. But Knoxville,Tennessee, and many good areas in that area were not on the map for people.

But if I knew, what I know today, I would have seriously considered Knoxville. I love Denver and I think it a great city that is coming into the spotlight but Knoxville can also be a good choice of a place to live.

Livecontent
Knoxville is one place I will visit this year. I've been looking and researching places for a number of years, waiting for the RE market to turn around so I can sell my home at a decent price. Knoxgarden's posts have a wealth of information on that city.

Old 02-12-2010, 05:45 PM

2,172 posts, read 6,887,502 times
Let me know when you're coming, we'll do lunch! or dinner or whatever. It is a nice place to live.
And it's a beautiful place. I was thinking that when I was driving downtown this afternoon and saw the skyline with the Smokies in the background, all white and snowy.
And there's always something that catches my eye or makes me smile. Tomorrow's the Mardi Growl parade:
City of Knoxville - KNOXVILLE'S MARDI GROWL
and in two weeks I've got tickets for "Swine and Dine" at Baconfest! Sort of a gourmet bacon/ham tasting.
Knoxville Bacon Fest
The odd thing about it is it's being held in a vegetarian restaurant/yoga studio.
And then there was the line of pickup trucks at an enterprising florist who offered cash and carry, drive-through rose bouquets for Valentines!

Old 02-13-2010, 06:08 PM

Knox,

Thanks! It won't be before May but I am going to check it out. I also want to visit a friend in Uplands (Crossville, Tenn) when I go. I hope to go with a good friend who would do the driving, and it be a long trip for us as I have to get out of the car every hour, but I will enjoy the scenery all the way.

Old 02-15-2010, 04:13 PM

Default Home on wheels

I just posted this on the "shoestring" thread...a neat idea for those who know how to convert vehicles into homes. This is indestructible!

snopes.com: Garbage Truck Home

Old 02-15-2010, 11:56 PM

462 posts, read 872,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Santa Fe isn't as expensive as people think-look at condo prices. I'm not sure about the quality of medical care, although it has improved as more people retire there. Not much college presence- St. John's is about it. Good farmers' markets, tons and tons of cultural interest (and free- galleries, public art) lots of writers. Brilliant sun almost every day, even while the winters are chilly, it's dry and wonderful. No natural disaster issues around.
New Mexico has many neat places to check out as far as retirement goes. NM has a great climate - lower cost in re: to real estate are..... Socorro, Los lunas, Bernalilo, small towns north of Bernalilo off of I-25 between Albuquerque and Santa Fe. Others to look at - Truth or Consequences, NM; Ruidoso, NM; Deming, NM. The weather is great by and large all over NM - nice so that in the summer you can sit out in your yard and visit with neighbors. Can't beat it.

Old 02-24-2010, 04:47 PM

1,999 posts, read 9,445,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scsigurl3000 View Post
Thank you for your response. I think California is pretty much out due to the earthquakes. I did some graduate work at UC Irvine and I don't like it when the ground shakes! Budget is pretty much upper middle class, maybe middle middle, depending on the area.

But I'll google Chico, California and have a look. There's some city in CA which is mostly 7th Day Adventists, and the vegetarian food there is wonderful..

Loma Linda, California
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement