U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 12:46 AM

1,691 posts, read 3,092,825 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scsigurl3000 View Post
Hi: I am new to this forum and I'll spend this morning reading the posts. But while I'm doing that I thought I'd post my primary questions.

I am already retired, in that I work at home. I'm somewhat disabled as I have MS though I'm doing pretty good right now. Where I live is really fine except that one afternoon this summer (for example) there were *80* tornado warnings. I just don't feel safe here.

It may sound morbid, but what I'm looking for is a location where I can spend the rest of my life, and essentially, the place where I'll die. Everyone dies and I want to be as smart about it as I can be. My criteria are something like:

1. Free of major natural disasters. Sante Fe is supposed to be one place where there are no tornadoes, of course no hurricanes or tsunamis, and no earthquakes. But it has a very high cost of living and I don't like the cold very much.

2. I'm not concerned about having access to outdoor activities like skiing, hiking, etc. (tee-hee) and don't really care if there are good restaurants (I have a very strict vegan diet anyway) or other "things to do." I have more than enough to do with my online businesses and private teaching.

3. Regarding weather, two alternatives, Santa Fe and Tucson: it seems to me that with respect to extremes of cold and heat, cold could be the greater problem if the power goes out, which is more likely with the cold, while heat, while is also dangerous to the elderly, is somewhat less likely to be a problem because heat will generally not cause the power to go out.

4. I would prefer to not live in a city which might be a terrorist target, maybe a smart bomb. It's impossible to determine where this might be, but LA and NYC are out for that reason, among other reasons (crime, traffic). Maybe this will never happen in the US, and I profoundly hope it will not, naturally, but larger cities are out. For some reason (probably wrongly), I feel like terrorists would not target a city where there are lots of minorities. I don't know why I feel like that.

5. Nice would be: good medical care, a farmer's market, nearby university and armed forces facilities and research centers (good sources of high level private students). Access to a pool and gym; but those are pretty much everywhere nowadays.

6. Reasonable amount of traffic, at least in the off hours, and good air quality.

7. Not a flood prone area (otherwise I'd move back to Austin or other south Texas city). Long term (very long term), many areas are dangerous for this reason.

8. Secondary considerations might be: does it have a zoo (I like to visit the poor creatures in the zoos), a botanical garden, art museums and liberal politics. Actually, I don't care what other people's politics are, but I don't want to have to hide my liberalism from the people I teach, which I do in my current location.

At my age (60) and the state of my health, I'm not sure how good my judgment is, so I would very much appreciate the input from others.

Thanks!

I'm 28 but eventualy my dad want's to retire but him and my mom are looking at several places first is around San Antonio my dad grew up in San Antonio plus I can go down on the riverwalk when I visit lol. Their also considering Somewhere in Arizona like Scottsdale/Carefree or Tucson and maby even Hawaii.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2010, 10:10 AM

7 posts, read 3,947 times
I don't know if it has everything you require, but check out Prescott, Arizona. A very green place and it's about 12 degrees cooler than Tucson. Kind of expensive for real estate, but you might be able to afford it if you're middle-middle.

Old 05-23-2010, 11:59 AM

6,973 posts, read 12,492,210 times
Is there some reason that Albuquerque is somewhat dismissed but people mention Santa Fe as well as Tucson? It seems Tucson would be very similiar to Albuquerque and ABQ would be a lower cost alternative to Santa Fe. I ask because I hear so many references to very high crime and DWI drivers in ABQ. So I wonder if many just avoid ABQ and its Metro as a retirement destination.

Old 05-31-2010, 10:45 AM

1,608 posts, read 1,272,089 times
I live in San Antonio Texas and I would highly recommend it. We have very mild winters, hasn't snowed since 1984 and that was a freak occurence. The cost of living is very low. We have a wonderful zoo for which I'm a member, many many tourist attractions, such as the Alamo and The River Walk downtown. We have Sea World and Fiesta Texas, many museums, Botanical Gardens...I could go on and on. It is hot and humid in the summer, but a/c is everywhere! We don't get earthquakes, hurricanes or tornados...well not in the 22 years that I've lived here anyway. The Hill Country is a grand place to go for a day trip, just north of here. And you can go down to the coast on a weekend, South Padre Island is fantastic. I would say the biggest attraction is the low cost of living. (we are a military city and we have major medical facilities).

Old 06-01-2010, 08:25 PM

12,671 posts, read 21,062,238 times
Singapore.

Old 06-07-2010, 07:25 PM

12,272 posts, read 11,328,152 times
Flagstaff AZ. Balanced weather. Snow is pretty and does not last long. Heat not nearly what Tuscon is. University is close and vegan no problem there.

Old 06-12-2010, 02:04 PM

68 posts, read 172,587 times
South padre falling apart, crime rising, excessive Mexican tourists and locals
stay N

Old 08-18-2010, 09:57 PM

1,924 posts, read 4,612,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
brightdoglover wrote:

It's Memphis that's at risk and the fault runs quite a bit further north along the Mississippi River. It's a very rare event when the New Madrid fault causes an earthquake but in the past it was an incredibly powerful quake that was felt over hundreds of miles away. Now that there are major population centers along this fault it could conceivably be catastrophic. Most earthquakes happen along the borders of tektonic plates but this particular one is right in the middle of a plate which is not typical but can happen.
I thought of another couple of places worth considering in New Mexico, Las Cruces and Ruidoso. Santa Fe and Taos are beautiful places as well. The problem you might have there is the fact that they're both at high elevations and winter might be a problem if you don't like the cold.
Here is info on the New Madrid Seismic Zone: New Madrid Seismic Zone - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I think in terms of safety, floods and auto accidents have much greater probabilities for creating major safely issues, in many parts of the country, compared to hurricanes and earthquakes, which are more limited and more rare.

Old 08-18-2010, 11:04 PM

3,456 posts, read 2,256,353 times
Default Safe place to retire

Not sure if the OP is still checking in, but I'll put my 2 cents worth in for Nevada. Surprisingly, the LV area has a thriving arts community and UNLV has an excellent music program. While the July temps are pretty unbearable, the dry heat and low winter humidity make the climate very tolerable for someone with MS. Medical facilities in the Henderson area (a suburb of LV) are excellent. I've heard that we occasionally feel CA quakes, but so far, I haven't experienced one and I'm quakephobic. Grew up on a faultline in New Zealand and could feel them coming before anyone else. There are farmers markets in Henderson every weekend and in LV too. Can't speak to the terrorism target issue -- no rational being can fathom the thought processes of those who are bent on destruction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement