Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 08:24 AM

1,802 posts, read 8,152,230 times

Advertisements

I live in the Baltimore area and currently am buried under the record-breaking snowfalls from the unprecedented back-to-back blizzards we just experienced. I have discovered one more thing about being retired - that it was much more fun being snowed in when the snow kept me from going to work than being snowed in while retired. I only go out now for fun stuff and feel like I'm going a little stir-crazy. If I needed another incentive to get off my butt and jump-start my plans to move to the gulf coast of Florida this was it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2010, 09:00 AM

7,898 posts, read 7,094,681 times
Get moving. Early estimates predict another snow storm for next Monday.

Old 02-11-2010, 09:52 AM

3,517 posts, read 13,244,794 times
I'm in MD and have shoveled 81" of snow this winter. I take an opposite view of big snow in retirement. There is so much less pressure to dig out that I feel free to let my chore lag some and go help neighbors who really need to get out and to work. Stir crazy gets addressed by suiting up and getting outside. Plus there is a nice comaradre in helping each other deal with the excesses of Mother nature.

But then, now I'm getting low on coffee - incentive to dig! I was lucky and didn't suffer significant power outages. It is really hard to deal with this if you don't have power.

Old 02-11-2010, 10:04 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,149,378 times
Now retired, I look at it different when weather conditions are bad.

I count my blessings that I no longer have to worry about driving to my job.
I got enough of that in my last 45 years.

Everytime the roads are bad now, I simply say to myself-------" self, aren't you glad you no longer have to be out on the roads ? "

Old 02-11-2010, 11:17 AM

I was scheduled off work yesterday. It sure was nice that I did not need to dig out and drive to work. When I retire, I might enjoy the same experience, but I would much, much rather avoid the whole mess and live in a more moderate climate with little or no snow. Yup, just one more incentive to get the house ready for sale.

Old 02-11-2010, 11:28 AM

1,802 posts, read 8,152,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
I was scheduled off work yesterday. It sure was nice that I did not need to dig out and drive to work. When I retire, I might enjoy the same experience, but I would much, much rather avoid the whole mess and live in a more moderate climate with little or no snow. Yup, just one more incentive to get the house ready for sale.
I'm with you. This much snow is rare for my area, but by this time of year I am tired of winter all together...snow or no snow. I hate the cold weather and do not enjoy being outside in it. I want to live somewhere where I can enjoy the outdoors year round.

I thought I would feel like the others...perfectly comfortable with not being able to dig out since I don't really have to go anywhere anyway. But that's not the case. I like getting out of the house even if it's just to run to the library or to pick up a few things at Target. My SO and I shoveled and dug out the cars, but there's no place to go. Everything is closed. I used to work for the state, and even state government has been closed for the last 2 days. If I was still working I would think this was a gift and would enjoy being snow-bound. But now that I'm retired it doesn't have the same appeal.

Old 02-11-2010, 11:31 AM

4,697 posts, read 6,435,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janetvj View Post
I have discovered one more thing about being retired - that it was much more fun being snowed in when the snow kept me from going to work than being snowed in while retired.
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
I count my blessings that I no longer have to worry about driving to my job.
My thoughts on the above.

Yes, absolutely I am delighted not to have to worry about pounding my way up and down I-95 to DC and back. I didn't go in on snow days, tho, having learned my lesson many years ago when it took me 6 hours to travel the 30 miles home.

And yes, it was more fun being snowed in when that meant a legitimate reason to stay home.

The thing that's bugging me (and I know this will sound petty, but there it is) .... I'm retired. I'm supposed to be not working. But many of my neighbors have been around all week. I'M the one who's retired! They need to get their bumpers back to work!!

(perhaps more snow coming Monday - YIKES!)

Old 02-11-2010, 12:34 PM

11,172 posts, read 15,966,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
When I retire, I might enjoy the same experience, but I would much, much rather avoid the whole mess and live in a more moderate climate with little or no snow.
Yep. I'm flying to Vegas this weekend where it is projected to be 66 Saturday & Sunday, 67 on Monday, and 68 on Tuesday. Unfortunately, although my wife gets to stay out there for good, I'm flying back to D.C. after that to finish out the month at the office.

But this winter hasn't been too bad for us. We sold our house with the enormous driveway back in November, and have been living temporarily in a condo in downtown D.C. The snow sure looks pretty from my 8th floor balcony. Especially since I don't have to shovel it!

Old 02-11-2010, 01:14 PM

I grew up near River Rd and Western Ave. so I can also appreciate that you will also enjoy the summer when Bethesda is dripping with humidity.

Old 02-11-2010, 01:45 PM

1,534 posts, read 4,255,290 times
My home is in Sykesville MD, it currently has quite a lot of snow according to family in the area. We're in Costa Rica watching the snow news. Take care folks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement