U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 06:50 PM

2,216 posts, read 2,033,474 times

Advertisements

All very good points NEG I am trying to figure out how to enjoy life in the meantime AND prepare for all those eventualities and it seems hard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2010, 02:43 PM

16,042 posts, read 18,967,079 times
I just ran into someone today I haven't seen in a while, she (age 65)and her spouse are quite well to do and she said she feels she can never retire from her job, ever. That makes me a little nervous b/c if she can't, who can?? What does this mean for getting closer to "end of life" - I guess we can't even afford to enjoy life a little before we die!

Old 03-22-2010, 03:47 PM

6,954 posts, read 7,388,974 times
Here's what you don't do - you don't listen to the doom & gloom of others. How happy you are and how much joy you get from life is up to you. If they are well off and feel this way then count yourself lucky. They very well might fall apart if they have to lower their standard of living, but you won't because you've learned how to live on less.

Old 03-22-2010, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN2CO View Post
Here's what you don't do - you don't listen to the doom & gloom of others. How happy you are and how much joy you get from life is up to you. If they are well off and feel this way then count yourself lucky. They very well might fall apart if they have to lower their standard of living, but you won't because you've learned how to live on less.
Yes indeed. I do count myself lucky, but am kind of scratching my head. Everything is relative, and there's so much insecurity these days. I do remember that this person, when I knew her, was kind of a whiner...

I think those of a "certain age" need to loosen up (myself included). I had grandparents and parents who retired on very little and didn't worry themselves, just took one day at a time. That's what we all hae to do, one day at a time.

Old 03-22-2010, 07:31 PM

21,699 posts, read 23,651,778 times
One comment I would like to make about assisted suicide. I have known two people who chose that option. A social worker who was assigned to one of them told me something interesting. She said that of all the people who signed up for it, few actually used it. She said most people feel they have a little more time than they really do. Nobody really knows. More often than not the person dies before they decide to take the drugs they are given. That was the case of one of the people I knew.

The social worker pointed out that it is the idea and the comfort to most people who chose this option that they; not doctors or hospitals or relatives have the control and choice of when to go when they and only they decide it's time.

They are given the drugs they need. It's up to them to call in whomever they want to be there at the time they decide to use them. It's their call. But it is the comfort of knowing that if the pain gets to be too much, if they don't want to go to a hospital and if they just plain want to take control of their remaing days it is a tremendous relief to have the knowledge that they and only they are in control.

Old 03-23-2010, 11:25 AM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,238,888 times
Default Funeral Songs for Boomers!

This is a parallel post to what I put on the "Retiring on a Shoestring" thread where we got into what songs we'd like played at our funerals! I actually received a reply from the Youtube poster about the song that Cap1717 had listed, Red Right Returning. Here's some of what I put on the other thread, since these two seem to be intertwined:

Awhile back we were listing songs that would be appropriate and fun to play at our funerals.

I received a reply from the woman who posted this YouTube video: Red Right Returning that Cap1717 mentioned.

Quote:
Cap1717:
Just for kicks, I provide the opening lines of "Red Right Returning"

They put his body in a wooden boat
They floated it out on the lake
It was like a Christmas Tree
It was like a Birthday Cake

They soaked it in kerosine
They soaked it in gasoline
It was soaked in memories
And it burned like the love between, you and me. *

*exerpt from "Red Right Returning" by Pat Maloney
I actually received a response from the woman who posted that video. What a wonderful history to this song!!! Cap1717, you may really enjoy knowing how this song came about!! Wow, is all I can say!

Here is what she had to say – it makes it all the more personal and wonderful:

Quote:
In response to your Red Right Returning message:

Hi,

I'm glad you enjoyed the Red Right Returning video. I'm amazed that someone in your group stumbled upon it.

Your group sounds good and worthwhile.

That song was originally written about my own husband, who passed away 11 years ago and who requested that as part of his memorial service, we burn his big wooden boat. His body wasn't actually in it; Pat Maloney took a little poetic license. Nor was it burned on a lake; it was in a field. But the sentiments expressed in the song are certainly appropriate for him, and I'm glad to hear they strike a chord with you, too.

Just today I added Pat's website to the sidebar on that video in case anyone wants to purchase his music. He's a fine singer-songwriter. Looks like you have adventuresome taste in music! -- Joanna

YouTube - "Red Right Returning" Intergenerational Bonds

Maybe some other people could comment on it for her, too. I am amazed that this is a "true" story!! Truth is stranger than fiction!

Last edited by Wisteria; 03-23-2010 at 11:53 AM..

Old 03-23-2010, 02:13 PM

3,088 posts, read 4,677,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisteria View Post
This is a parallel post to what I put on the "Retiring on a Shoestring" thread where we got into what songs we'd like played at our funerals! I actually received a reply from the Youtube poster about the song that Cap1717 had listed, Red Right Returning. Here's some of what I put on the other thread, since these two seem to be intertwined:

Awhile back we were listing songs that would be appropriate and fun to play at our funerals.

I received a reply from the woman who posted this YouTube video: Red Right Returning that Cap1717 mentioned.

I actually received a response from the woman who posted that video. What a wonderful history to this song!!! Cap1717, you may really enjoy knowing how this song came about!! Wow, is all I can say!

Here is what she had to say it makes it all the more personal and wonderful:

[/b][/color]

YouTube - "Red Right Returning" Intergenerational Bonds

Maybe some other people could comment on it for her, too. I am amazed that this is a "true" story!! Truth is stranger than fiction!
so happy that you posted a link to Pat's website. . . he is indeed, probably the best singer - songwriter that I can think of. . . .for my tastes, head and shoulders about the "greats" like Dylan, etc. There are plenty of nationally known songwriters that really can't hold a candle to him, and only an elite few, Dave Carter, Dave Olney, Iris Dement; to name just a few, have written songs that are "just as good" as most of Pat's stuff.

Old 03-24-2010, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
One comment I would like to make about assisted suicide. I have known two people who chose that option. A social worker who was assigned to one of them told me something interesting. She said that of all the people who signed up for it, few actually used it. She said most people feel they have a little more time than they really do. Nobody really knows. More often than not the person dies before they decide to take the drugs they are given. That was the case of one of the people I knew.

The social worker pointed out that it is the idea and the comfort to most people who chose this option that they; not doctors or hospitals or relatives have the control and choice of when to go when they and only they decide it's time.

They are given the drugs they need. It's up to them to call in whomever they want to be there at the time they decide to use them. It's their call. But it is the comfort of knowing that if the pain gets to be too much, if they don't want to go to a hospital and if they just plain want to take control of their remaing days it is a tremendous relief to have the knowledge that they and only they are in control.
Where is AS legal in the U.S.? I thought after viewing the frontline program that you have to go out of the country.

Old 03-24-2010, 07:40 AM

13,314 posts, read 25,546,272 times
It's not really assisted suicide. No one actually performs an action that brings about a comfortable death. But a physician can order medications that the person can hold "just in case," usually phenobarbs/Seconal type stuff.
There is suicide by helium inhalation/bag-over-head. Not sure how much, if any, assistance is needed.

Old 03-24-2010, 06:45 PM

21,699 posts, read 23,651,778 times
State of Oregon: Death With Dignity Act

It's legal in Oregon. It's called assisted because the doctor can prescribe the drugs to "assist" a person to die rather than the person just going out and jumping off a bridge. The only method is by drugs. People use this plan carefully. Some have loved ones around when they take the drugs. There have been stories in our local newspaper by the friends and relatives who witness the deaths.

The stories are positive because the families and friends know that the person wants to have that control when the time comes. Plans are made and everyone gets to say goodbye. Really when you read about actual situations, or witness them first hand, you get a feeling that it's a much better way; choosing the time and place rather than fighting for life in a sterile hospital.

I feel this way because I have seen it. I don't plan to stay in Oregon but if I did and I had a terminal illness, I would not hesitate to go this route.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or