U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2013, 04:58 PM

23,605 posts, read 31,607,689 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
When I get old and feeble I will do one thing- I will hide from all of you. Being old is quickly becoming what the Jews were during the Nazi era. We will all become Ann Franks and avoid death as long as possible. If you are old and enter into a hospital - the policy will in time become that which enhances the death house. Forget it- I am not going to a place where they will morphine you to death and tell your children that "He is resting comfortably"

Keep your health and avoid them- The medical profession and the government are not your friends near the end.
Absolutely. Just walk with your head held high steadfastly and resolutely into the "oven."

I hope never to get so old and insensitive that I forget the travail of many of my ancestors and use them in such a manner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2013, 06:36 AM

16,042 posts, read 19,061,869 times
I'm reading a great little book, a tough read but a real eye-opener, about how the medical system really works when it comes to dying—despite your "advance directives," etc. I think everyone younger and older should read it, because it tells it like it really is and prepares you with information to protect your interests. It is written by two sisters, a doctor and a lawyer. The book explains how to opt for a natural death.

A Better Way of Dying

A Better Way of Dying: How to Make the Best Choices at the End of Life: Jeanne Fitzpatrick, Eileen M. Fitzpatrick, William Colby: 9780143116752: Amazon.com: Books

Old 06-25-2013, 03:59 PM

Default Planning ahead

Starting to think about my own memorial service. I've chosen the music, Randall Thomas's "Frostiana," seven Robert Frost poems sung by the Mormon Tabernacle Choir. I will purchase the CD. I'd like to have my photographs projected on a screen while this music is being played. Can someone tell me how to do that, or where to get it done, without spending a fortune. Also, how to amplify the CD without it sounding tinny on a CD player. I'm not a techie! Thanks.

Old 06-25-2013, 04:36 PM

14,628 posts, read 18,014,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Starting to think about my own memorial service. I've chosen the music, Randall Thomas's "Frostiana," seven Robert Frost poems sung by the Mormon Tabernacle Choir. I will purchase the CD. I'd like to have my photographs projected on a screen while this music is being played. Can someone tell me how to do that, or where to get it done, without spending a fortune. Also, how to amplify the CD without it sounding tinny on a CD player. I'm not a techie! Thanks.
Do you have a terminal illness?

If not - what you're doing is very morbid IMO (unless you're like 90+). Robyn

Old 06-25-2013, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
Do you have a terminal illness?

If not - what you're doing is very morbid IMO (unless you're like 90+). Robyn
No, not that I know of. I'm a planner by nature, that was part of my career—annual plans and 5- to 10-year strategic plans for nonprofits, complete with projected budgets. It's no different than setting up a will, trust, POA, healthcare proxy, etc. All part of the same planning. Besides, I wouldn't want to wait till I'm incapacitated to try to get my service CD together, it would be too much to deal with. And I can enjoy it while I'm still alive.

Old 06-25-2013, 06:13 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,795 posts, read 40,227,184 times
Great idea, get it done while you are capable (I would sure appreciate that from the folks I help at end of life).
A friend that died last yr did his own video / pics. I recommend you run it by a few folks first. His sense of humor about death was not well received by all present. (not that it mattered to him).

There is software that allows you to merge audio and slides or video. (You can also do in a Powerpoint presentation).

Old 06-25-2013, 08:32 PM

21,698 posts, read 23,774,665 times
Quote:
Awesome idea! No different from making out a will IMHO. We all are going to die sometime or other no reason why you shouldn't plan ahead if you have an idea. I don't know how to go about doing this but perhaps someone on the tech forum can be of help?

Old 06-26-2013, 12:41 PM

5,356 posts, read 16,395,452 times
Quote:
You can do it yourself. For my FIL's 80th birthday, I created a slide show in PowerPoint with a music track. You can have slides with sayings intermixed with the pics. All that would be needed is a projection screen/computer projector or big screen TV as you can create a slide show that will play without PowerPoint. The sound quality is more dependent on the speaker system it will be playing on. For my FIL, I brought good quality powered speakers and the laptop had an upgraded sound card. Your only problem is that in 5+ years, who knows where the technology will be and your presentation may not be playable.

Old 06-26-2013, 04:35 PM

14,628 posts, read 18,014,344 times
Quote:
No, not that I know of. I'm a planner by nature, that was part of my career—annual plans and 5- to 10-year strategic plans for nonprofits, complete with projected budgets. It's no different than setting up a will, trust, POA, healthcare proxy, etc. All part of the same planning. Besides, I wouldn't want to wait till I'm incapacitated to try to get my service CD together, it would be too much to deal with. And I can enjoy it while I'm still alive.
I'm 65 - and don't care to do anything in terms of planning for my death (except in terms of the normal financial planning and similar). When I'm dead - I'm dead. I hope some people will mourn my passing - but I don't intend to make plans to make sure they will. Robyn

Old 06-26-2013, 05:19 PM

5,356 posts, read 16,395,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
I'm 65 - and don't care to do anything in terms of planning for my death (except in terms of the normal financial planning and similar). When I'm dead - I'm dead. I hope some people will mourn my passing - but I don't intend to make plans to make sure they will. Robyn
Planning makes it easier for those left behind to do as you requested. We've filled out a Final Arrangements document so our kids know what to do with the remains. It's no different than making your Will out or creating a Health Care Directive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or