Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2010, 10:31 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,687,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnoliaThunder View Post
I think that many of us baby boomers who find themselves in that position should consider pooling assets -- that is, several people together going in to live together and help each other...it is a healthy alternative to aging alone, provides company and security to the participants, and while one may struggle to get by, three of four people (or more) pooling their assets to maintain a safe, good dwelling and food, etc. can live much better. We would have to be willing to give up some of our expectations of having it all in retirement, but it beats the alternative! I think this is going to be a viable option for people if they allow themselves to consider the possibilities.
My thoughts exactly. I would move my friend into a little room in my house. Might make for some great company down the road.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2010, 10:58 AM

694 posts, read 1,229,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
My thoughts exactly. I would move my friend into a little room in my house. Might make for some great company down the road.
May I come too?

Old 02-12-2010, 11:18 AM

544 posts, read 1,479,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
That sounds like a lovely idea. But give her something to do. I often think that if my eyesight is too poor or my hands shake too much, I'd bake cakes and cookies for a living. If you live in a marijuana legal state, you could (NOT bake with weed) but make frozen cookie dough and sell it at the farmers' markets, with a sign which said "Add your own Herbs."

My dad was a car dealer but the last 20 years of his life he had a small engine repair shop in his garage. Considering that he didn't have to wear a dress suit every day, drive back and forth to work, and all kinds of related expenses, I think he made MORE money in his shop than working. He even told me that he wished he had done this all along. He got to be near my mom all day, whom he adored, and had a great deal more freedom.

I cannot stress enough the value of self-employment. Sometimes you just have to grow a pair, and try it.

I got the Possum book on my Kindle and I absolutely love it (thank you). I'm all for living a life which is not based on materialism, buying things, and racking up huge debts for homes which you never really own, in actuality. All I need is a violin, a laptop, my books and music, my kitty cat and a bicycle. I'm happy. Everything else is superfluous.

Old 02-12-2010, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scsigurl3000 View Post
That sounds like a lovely idea. But give her something to do. I often think that if my eyesight is too poor or my hands shake too much, I'd bake cakes and cookies for a living. If you live in a marijuana legal state, you could (NOT bake with weed) but make frozen cookie dough and sell it at the farmers' markets, with a sign which said "Add your own Herbs."

My dad was a car dealer but the last 20 years of his life he had a small engine repair shop in his garage. Considering that he didn't have to wear a dress suit every day, drive back and forth to work, and all kinds of related expenses, I think he made MORE money in his shop than working. He even told me that he wished he had done this all along. He got to be near my mom all day, whom he adored, and had a great deal more freedom.

I cannot stress enough the value of self-employment. Sometimes you just have to grow a pair, and try it.

I got the Possum book on my Kindle and I absolutely love it (thank you). I'm all for living a life which is not based on materialism, buying things, and racking up huge debts for homes which you never really own, in actuality. All I need is a violin, my books and music, my kitty cat and a bicycle. I'm happy. Everything else is superfluous.
Grow a pair, scsigurl3000? She's a girl!

Ok, you're right, fear does nothing to someone's freedom and happiness!

She and perhaps the rest of us, should find a way to overcome fear, connect to that creative and unbeatable spirit we used to have, and try out a few entrepreneurial ideas.
Or die trying!

Old 02-12-2010, 11:31 AM

544 posts, read 1,479,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by learningCA View Post
She and perhaps the rest of us, should find a way to overcome fear, connect to that creative and unbeatable spirit we used to have, and try out a few entrepreneurial ideas.
There you go!! I never worry about money b/c there's so much money in the world: your job is to figure out how to get it, legally and with integrity. Whenever I get into difficulties, I take a deep breath and recognize that I'm intelligent and I can think my way out of this. And I always do.

Old 02-12-2010, 12:02 PM

3,360 posts, read 12,229,468 times
Montana Guy,

Thanks for bringing attention to this circumstance. It's one I find myself in too. We were taught that taking care of elders was of the utmost priority. I didn't move to find a job or seriously pursue relationships that would have removed me from this service as I was the only one who could practically have fulfilled it. Where I am now is not at all where I expected after a hard charging career.

This is what I have done - After having had to move from the family home I moved in with a male friend I had been seeing for a few years. Fortunately he had enough room for things so I didn't have to give up everything. He provides food and utilities as I have only the smallest income from my inheritance, and I pay half the rent. My son gave me his old vehicle and till the settlement of the estate (1yr) sent me $250 a month towards my credit card bill which I lived on. As I myself have health problems I qualified for no cost medical coverage which keeps me alive. I know there are other programs available but won't take them untill and unless necessary.

I couldn't have taken another path and though not necessarily completely happy with where I stand, I survive. I wouldn't have given up those final years with my mother for anything and thank god for the opportunity to do so.

Old 02-12-2010, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgoldie View Post
Montana Guy,

Thanks for bringing attention to this circumstance. It's one I find myself in too. We were taught that taking care of elders was of the utmost priority. I didn't move to find a job or seriously pursue relationships that would have removed me from this service as I was the only one who could practically have fulfilled it. Where I am now is not at all where I expected after a hard charging career.

This is what I have done - After having had to move from the family home I moved in with a male friend I had been seeing for a few years. Fortunately he had enough room for things so I didn't have to give up everything. He provides food and utilities as I have only the smallest income from my inheritance, and I pay half the rent. My son gave me his old vehicle and till the settlement of the estate (1yr) sent me $250 a month towards my credit card bill which I lived on. As I myself have health problems I qualified for no cost medical coverage which keeps me alive. I know there are other programs available but won't take them untill and unless necessary.

I couldn't have taken another path and though not necessarily completely happy with where I stand, I survive. I wouldn't have given up those final years with my mother for anything and thank god for the opportunity to do so.
You are a loving, caring daughter, dear Sgoldie!
And thank goodness for your male friend and your son.
Best wishes to you all.

Old 02-12-2010, 02:03 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,328,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
Thanks for some interesting suggestions. I think the idea of having several people share a place and the expenses is a very plausible and practical idea. I was also not aware that there are state programs that will aid people who can't qualify for Social Security. She lives in Montana and I'm not sure what they might have but I'll look for information on the internet. Thanks again.
Check the site of the Area Agency on Aging that covers her location in Montana. Every state has them and they will know all the local programs that are available to her.

Old 02-12-2010, 02:05 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,328,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
Thanks for some interesting suggestions. I think the idea of having several people share a place and the expenses is a very plausible and practical idea. I was also not aware that there are state programs that will aid people who can't qualify for Social Security. She lives in Montana and I'm not sure what they might have but I'll look for information on the internet. Thanks again.
Check the site of the Area Agency on Aging that covers her location in Montana. Every state has them and they will know all the local, county, state and federal programs that are available to her and can help her with the application process. That's what they exist for and why they're federally funded to a great degree through the Older Americans Act and its renewals.

Old 02-12-2010, 03:31 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,579,414 times
Curmudgeon wrote:
Quote:
Check the site of the Area Agency on Aging that covers her location in Montana.
I did locate some information for her city and am forwarding it to her. Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement