U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2010, 01:28 PM

14,018 posts, read 17,729,443 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SelflessGene View Post
Couldn't agree less. To me the concerns of the haves sounds like the grunting of pigs: "retire to Costa Rica and hire domestics for pennies on the dollar". If by "broad-minded" you mean "tolerant" - sorry, I have no tolerance for the cavernous greed of the people who have managed to turn a republic into a plutocracy in three short decades. I know it's not politically correct to use phrases like "class war" but it's the eight hundred pound gorilla in the room that everbody would like to believe isn't there. This particularly American tendency (oh yes, America is exceptional) to submerge themselves in a hot tub of blissful ignorance has given the economic predators the opening they needed. The debate is over and they won. Now, for people like me, the overriding concern is how to survive in the wasteland they've created.

I guess the only thing to do is to start a subforum on the theme of "this is not a salon folks, this is where busted boomers develope strategies for adapting to life in a 21st century jungle". At least we can be assured of a growing demographic.

Buckminster Fuller once said that thinking is basically a process of setting aside the irrelevant until you arrive at the truth. I would like to see an increase in the signal-to-noise ratio around here. Is that asking for too much?

Oh, and what does "IMO" mean? We're not limited to forty characters here and I, for one, am not at all interested in pretending to be a teenager extremely skilled at typing with my thumbs.
First, IMO means "in my opinion". Like it or not, there will be a lot of these abbreviations on any public forum. I use fewer of them than many people. I am 66 and do not text on my cell phone, but after a while most of us tend to fall into these often-used abbreviations through dint of seeing them again and again and again.

To start a sub-forum, you would need the blessing of the administrator of City-Data. But in the meantime, why not just continue right here? Does it really bother you that you may encounter some disagreement? (By the way, there are many on the Retirement Forum who share your views, including me to some extent). Even if you had your own sub-forum, you would find that people who do not share its take on things would still visit there (there is nothing to stop them), so you would still not get away from the opposing "grunting of pigs" no matter what you called your sub-forum and no matter what you stated it was for.

Your tone is that of a true believer, a real militant for your cause with a flair for the interesting turn of phrase in put-down, such as the "grunting of pigs". I hope you will stick around. It won't be dull.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2010, 10:49 PM

13,318 posts, read 25,550,246 times
"IMO" is a long-standing internet shorthand, not a text thing.

Old 10-13-2010, 10:29 AM

8,536 posts, read 6,373,968 times
WOW, this kinda got highjacked!!

Old 10-13-2010, 05:01 PM

1,266 posts, read 2,842,430 times
Yeah, I'd like to get back to the OP's desire for advice to give his friend and add my vote to the poster who mentioned her Grandma making quilts.

Several years ago, a family friend was widowed with virtually no benefits or income from insurance, so she made a list of people who dealt with food supplies in her small community. This included, if I remember right, a grocery manager, a deli owner, a bakery worker, and a coffee shop waitress. She asked each of them what request they couldn't fulfill for a desired food item by their customers. From their answers, she determined she could provide old-fashioned toll-house cookies, pumpkin date-nut bran muffins, and traditional real chocolate fudge to fill those niches -- and word got around enough after taste-testing to give her enough customers to provide the income she needed to survive.

She ended up marrying the deli owner.

So ask your friend if she likes to cook and has any special recipes. Hope this helps.

Old 05-06-2012, 09:02 AM

450 posts, read 927,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
One of my very best friends who I've known for about 40 years is also my age (60) and because she spent a great deal of her adult life caring for her ailing Mother until she died she is now in a miserable situation financially. She has been unable to get anything better than a part time, low paying job in recent years and I don't believe she has accumulated enough lifetime wages to get much of anything (if she gets anything at all) from Social Security. She even lived in her car for a period of time which just makes me sick. I visited her in Montana a couple of years ago and she was living in a tiny run down apartment and just scraping by. I realize that there are probably a large number of individuals who have found themselves in a similar situation. Even people who get Social Security or are living on a fixed income have the difficulty with inflation which cuts into their buying power a little bit more every year. I don't see any easy solution to this predicament and I realize that the government can't pick up the tab for everyone who is poor. People are also living much longer these days and I can't even conceive of how my friend or millions like her are going to make ends meet if they live to an age that is far beyond what any employer would even consider as an employee. Any thoughts?
Your friend is exactly the type of person the social safety network is designed for. I suggest she contact her local Council on Aging, Catholic Charities, and other organizations that help people in her situation. Lord knows many of us seniors are only one illness or death of a loved one or economic collapse away from a similar plight. If nothing else, we should be allowed to live our golden years with dignity. Let us know in future posts how she is doing.

Old 05-06-2012, 03:51 PM

52 posts, read 78,049 times
i guess I have been unaware as well, I had an employee that was doing very well, at work all of the time, prompt, good worker etc... one day I asked her what she was cooking for dinner, she kind of avoided me. The next day one of my staff told me that she lives in her car in the parking lot. I was just floored, I guess when I thought of homeless I tought of a cardboard box in the woods. She makes just enough to feed herself, buy gas, car insurance but not enough to rent and apartment. It made me so sad, I kept thinking that there has to be some other solution. Some time later one of my girls rented her a room in her house, at least she was now warm and safe. She is 61 and has a tough life ahead of her for sure. She once had a house, a husband and children, events took them all away.

Old 05-07-2012, 01:40 PM

12,825 posts, read 20,132,535 times
There is only one answer to this issue (which will get worse and worse). Means testing. That is the only way to give better care to the truly destitute. The money needs to come from somewhere.

Yep, it's a third rail. Therefore, the one answer will not be tried, and disaster will ensue.

Old 05-08-2012, 05:48 PM

13,318 posts, read 25,550,246 times
Means testing for Social Security would turn it into a welfare system, and people's payroll taxes should not pay for it- it's a guarantee, not a means test. I do think the cap could easily and painlessly be made much higher and that would solve that.
Dunno if that was what the previous poster referred to.
People will go and live where they can and have to. Like a mobile home in the Southeast if that's all they can afford. I worry about the many people who are in their 50s/60s who have been laid off many times or for the last time, and if they had any assets, they've had to live on them and are one event away from real poverty, or one birthday away from poor old age.

Old 05-08-2012, 06:34 PM

16,133 posts, read 20,817,345 times
What she needs is a tax break or maybe the Church will help her out.
Heaven forbid we, aas a society should care foor the elderly

Old 05-08-2012, 11:51 PM

21,699 posts, read 23,655,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Means testing for Social Security would turn it into a welfare system, and people's payroll taxes should not pay for it- it's a guarantee, not a means test. I do think the cap could easily and painlessly be made much higher and that would solve that.
Dunno if that was what the previous poster referred to.
People will go and live where they can and have to. Like a mobile home in the Southeast if that's all they can afford. I worry about the many people who are in their 50s/60s who have been laid off many times or for the last time, and if they had any assets, they've had to live on them and are one event away from real poverty, or one birthday away from poor old age.
This was my story and it's happening all the time. When ever anyone tells me I should have saved for the future I could smack them. I did save for the future but the future came sooner than I had planned.

I don't know the answer to the problem. It's a difficult one that from what I see is growing. One reason is employers are consolidating work to give the fewest number of people the largest amount of tasks and laying off the rest. And when the people laid off are over 50, it's difficult for them to find new jobs.

There are some really creative ideas suggested here. I have a friend who is 52 and looking for work. Like the woman the OP described, my friend spent most of her life taking care of her mom who was able to support them both. Now her mom is gone and there is no one who wants to hire a 52 year old without much of a work history. I am going to suggest some of the ideas I see here for her as a way to make some money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement