U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2012, 07:35 AM

29,764 posts, read 34,851,819 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
I see your point, TuborgP and I don't disagree that it's the one or two percent at the top who create a number of jobs in this country. Not all, but many. Still, (and I know this will sound dumb) I can't understand why someone would give up their citizenship to a country that gave them the opportunity to build their wealth, in the first place. If they're leaving because Uncle Sam is asking them to dig a little deeper into their pocket to help the elderly, they aren't really people I'd want to know, personally.

There are four categories of people that I believe should be cared for, no questions asked; children, our veterans, the severely disabled and our elderly who are living in poverty. For the rest, if they can get up every day without assistance and go about their day without the help of anyone else, they should be working, to pay their way. And if they are trying to do that, I'd give them a hand up, not a hand out. Not a darned thing wrong with being wealthy, either. It's what they do with the wealth that's more important. Like Forrest Gump's mama said, "Only so much fortune a man really needs, and the rest is just for showing off."

Didn't mean to hijack the thread but it headed south a while back so I was just throwing my two cents in.
I fully agree with you. My comments are on the reality of the situation. Many of us are guilty. Myself included. How many of us have relocated to a state with lower taxes, lower cost of living with out regard to the social benefits the state provides to their needy. We have made decisions to preserve our capital and can we really call a bigger cat black?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2012, 12:35 AM

4,552 posts, read 5,466,666 times
To me, it seems seniors are being thrown under the bus to divert attention away from the 1% and to turn one group against another. Seniors are not the cause of the government's spending policies and "borrowing" from Social Security for years. If people of all ages stood together, maybe we could be rid of the political/corporate greed. Without harmony, we are doomed to continue on the same road.

We are going to have to leave our area and move to a less expensive area as it is the responsible thing to do. Some seniors move to be close to family, others for financial reasons, but I do promise you that it is heartbreaking to leave an area you are familar with at retirement. However, we are better off than the OP's friend and still have options...in another place. (I don't mean that in arrogant way)

Instead of complaining, and there is plenty to complain about, we need to support OWS, and other groups trying to make things better. On the Bill Moyers site, there are links to take action and hold the politicians accountable.

Old 05-15-2012, 11:51 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,199,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
I fully agree with you. My comments are on the reality of the situation. Many of us are guilty. Myself included. How many of us have relocated to a state with lower taxes, lower cost of living with out regard to the social benefits the state provides to their needy. We have made decisions to preserve our capital and can we really call a bigger cat black?

I don't have to worry too much about that one. Got zinged by a scam artist in 2006 who ran off to Guatemala with a boatload of my (and others') money. I've been adjusting to poverty since then. Funny but I've learned I don't really need that much to get by. As long as I can pay for my internet, I can stay connected with the wild and crazy people on CD.

Old 05-17-2012, 03:45 PM

67 posts, read 111,118 times
Isn't early planning key to successful retirement. I know many people don't even have a plan. Or the plan is to collect social security benefit and thinking this is just good enough to survive.

Old 05-17-2012, 04:06 PM

21,699 posts, read 23,651,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tranza View Post
Isn't early planning key to successful retirement. I know many people don't even have a plan. Or the plan is to collect social security benefit and thinking this is just good enough to survive.
Not necessarily. One absolutely should plan but it is still no guarantee to a successful retirement. Plans can go awry. If you read some of the stories of that happening that have been posted in this forum you will see what I mean.

Old 05-17-2012, 08:00 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,199,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tranza View Post
True. There are a lot of people who don't plan for retirement. Even for those who do, the road to retirement isn't always smooth. Looking back at the past five years should give you an idea of what could happen. A person may be five or ten years away from retirement and then the bottom falls out of their life. Company goes bust, the job ends. They lose their health insurance coverage and then face a life-threatening illness. Even going on public assistance means you are limited to a maximum of 2K in cash.

There are a lot of variables that can affect your retirement. It's not as simple as simply not planning.

Last edited by HereOnMars; 05-17-2012 at 09:03 PM..

Old 05-17-2012, 08:34 PM

48,516 posts, read 83,890,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
A number of churches in my suburb support one community food pantry - which never has enough food - and my suburb is reasonably well-to-do. The pantry is a backstop, of sorts, but really can't be depended upon on any consistent basis.
Wher I live Chatholic charties run a Hospitality house which is very nice like a Cafteria ans serves two meals a day to any one of low income. Wealos have emals on wheels for elderly and a huge food banl besides a Misson run by number chruches who give out food to cook;clothing and other needs.

Old 05-17-2012, 08:55 PM

67 posts, read 111,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Not necessarily. One absolutely should plan but it is still no guarantee to a successful retirement. Plans can go awry. If you read some of the stories of that happening that have been posted in this forum you will see what I mean.
Yes, plans can go awry, but it's better to have some sort of plan supported by backup plan IMHO.

Old 05-17-2012, 09:03 PM

Quote:
True. There are a lot of people who don't plan for retirement. Even for those who do, the road to retirement isn't always smooth. Looking back at the past five years should give you an idea of what could happen. A person may be five or ten years away from retirement and then the bottom falls out of their life. Company goes bust, the job ends. They lose their health insurance coverage and then face a life-threatening illness. Even going on public assistance means you must have a maximum of 2K in cash.

There are a lot of variables that can affect your retirement. It's not as simple as simply not planning.
Those who are envious of boomers ought not be. The certainty that generations before us had is not as sure for us.

Old 05-17-2012, 09:04 PM

Quote:
I don't have to worry too much about that one. Got zinged by a scam artist in 2006 who ran off to Guatemala with a boatload of my (and others') money. I've been adjusting to poverty since then. Funny but I've learned I don't really need that much to get by. As long as I can pay for my internet, I can stay connected with the wild and crazy people on CD.
My realtor had that happen and it really put a hurting on her and her husband
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement