U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2010, 07:37 AM

3,651 posts, read 8,314,429 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
I just wish companies would forget the color and age of the person and concentrate on what that person can do for your company. Period. That will change retirement if those that have to work get employment.
They have. Age/race/gender discrimination laws have and have had a great deal of power for decades. In fact, "affirmative action" and the like have ensured reverse discrimination for said time. However, none of this is really relevant to the topic at hand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2010, 07:52 AM

34,718 posts, read 33,754,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Central Illinois 1 View Post
Boomer generation is how smug and self-centered alot of us have become. We preached the merits of peace, love, sex, drugs, rock and roll, etc. 20 or ?
I did none of those things (I was actually a member of the Young Republicans in 1969 - 1971 when I lived in DC for 3 years) and didn't have any kids when married for 18 years, to ruin/spoil. I put myself through college while working full time. I never owned a house and I was pretty middle aged before I owned my first new compact car so forget the materialistic part.

I worked 34 straight years (no kids/no periods of no work) full-time for the government (from a Grade 3 to a Grade 14) and went out when I was 55. I actually held a job since I was 15, but from 15 - 19, those jobs were part-time. I had full time jobs between 19 and 21. I will never collect that Social Security I paid in from 15 - 21 because even if I worked the needed number of quarters, you can't double dip. It doesn't bother me that I won't see the money I paid in to Social Security.

I know active people in their 80s, now. Conceivably, I could be retired (knock on wood) almost as long as the 34 straight years I worked for my pension and in hindsight that really does seem to be too long to be retired. However, as a person already retired, I have no business saying maybe it's a good idea to up the retirement age in the government for the people remaining. I could see them doing it for employed FERS workers with less than 10 years of service and all new hires but if they are going to do it, they shouldn't dilly dally. I have a friend that's two year from being eligible to retire. Her husband is already retired from a buyout in private industry. If they decided to up the retirement age and it impacts people within 5 years of retiring (social security or government), I don't think that's right. I could also see them eliminating COLAs for all of us to save money. That would require an Act of Congress law change. The problem is with an aging population it's political suicide.

I just did some government research and it appears that only 17.7% of the current workforce are CSRS (15.9%) or that one where people are part CSRS and Part FERS (1.8%) and if I'm reading the chart correctly 45.7% of those represented by that 15.9% are eligible to retire now. If that's correct, pretty soon all CSRS people will be retired and as they pass on, I think the federal government pension debt will go down.

Profile of Federal Civilian Non-Postal Employees, September 30, 2008

Old 02-21-2010, 11:36 AM

767 posts, read 1,830,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2000 View Post

Nope. And while people as you describe certainly exist, they were actually in the minority even then...it was mostly the hippies and the like, and yes you are correct that most of them turned out to be flaming hypocrites, or at least people who woke up to reality (finally) after preaching such brilliant concepts as "free love" (sleep with anything that moves), communes, and taking baths rather infrequently.
I'm glad that everyone is so much more enlightened now. I guess that's why our counrty is in so much better shape now than it was a generation ago...lol

Old 02-21-2010, 02:23 PM

8,093 posts, read 13,257,642 times
"10 Ways Baby Boomers Will Reinvent Retirement"

One way ... get rid of all those golf courses we won't use and build some energy-efficient senior-friendly 1200 sf one-level drought-friendly garden homes.

And just for the heck of it, I'll put tie-dyed curtains up in mine.

Old 02-21-2010, 10:26 PM

13,351 posts, read 25,621,216 times
I think the media was big in pushing the image of "everyone" who was born between about 1946 and 1957 as "sex drugs n' rock n' roll." I deliberately skip the years after 1957 because, demographically, the boom was over around then. This "Eighteen years is a generation" stuff is pure marketing. People born in 1946 had nothing in common with those born in 1964, in fact, in many places, were the parents of the younger generation.
That said, I love how discussions of boomer shenanigans in the "1960s" absolutely skip the civil rights movement and actions, which could be said to have culminated in the 1965 federal legislation. Not a lot of sex drugs n' rock n' roll up that point.
And the s/d/r n' r depended on where you were living and largely, if you were in college. Of course, a lot more people were in college after the National Defense Student Loan legislation in 1965.
If people were in an urban or coastal urban area, they likely were catching the wave of cultural change. I still think it's a misnomer to think that everyone of that age at that time was doing certain things. Certainly, those who were caught all the media attention. I don't think it was ever a numerical majority.
I know guys who didn't go to college who are convinced they missed a huge sexual party because they didn't go to college. I know just as many guys who went to college who married the first girl they got pregnant.
And let's not forget the huge number of people who went to Vietnam and the large number who didn't get to come back. If they were doing sex, drugs, and rock n' roll, they were doing it on foreign soil in a misbegotten war, not some white bread college campus.
As someone born in 1953 in the working class, I get really tired of hearing "boomers this/boomers that."
Thank you for listening to this rant, if in fact you read it.

Old 02-22-2010, 09:25 AM

3,517 posts, read 12,065,149 times
There is a higher percent of the young now who do sex 'n drugs than did in the Boomer periods. It got a lot of press then because of flamboyant gatherings. The big majority of boomer kids were working, going to school, watching the flamboyant self destruction of some, and declining to break the law for themselves or take the risk of the behaviors for themselves. Attitudes have changed considerably since then that make the young now think the risks are low. And sometimes the risks are lower since the social costs are lower. But maybe not.

Old 02-22-2010, 02:33 PM

5,356 posts, read 16,371,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Central Illinois 1 View Post
I'm glad that everyone is so much more enlightened now. I guess that's why our counrty is in so much better shape now than it was a generation ago...lol
In a word, yes!

You take for granted all the luxuries you currently have. This country has a long way to drop before it can even be compared to a generation ago.

Let's compare the unemployment rate to the great depression, 25% compared to 10% today. You'd be more likely to work on a farm or other hard labor job. Your entertainment was the radio and movie theater, compared to TVs, internet, ipods, iphones, etc., of today.

I'd bet you wouldn't last a year back then. I'm fairly certain that most of my generation would survive since we have parents who had to live through it and passed their knowledge along.

Old 02-22-2010, 02:37 PM

3,651 posts, read 8,314,429 times
Anyway, back to retirement.......

Old 02-22-2010, 04:50 PM

30 posts, read 64,953 times
Retire early and do not worry. Most plan for a retirement at 62 or 65, why wait? The best of our life is now, not 10 years in the future.

Old 02-24-2010, 02:56 PM

767 posts, read 1,830,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akck View Post
In a word, yes!

You take for granted all the luxuries you currently have. This country has a long way to drop before it can even be compared to a generation ago.

Let's compare the unemployment rate to the great depression, 25% compared to 10% today. You'd be more likely to work on a farm or other hard labor job. Your entertainment was the radio and movie theater, compared to TVs, internet, ipods, iphones, etc., of today.

I'd bet you wouldn't last a year back then. I'm fairly certain that most of my generation would survive since we have parents who had to live through it and passed their knowledge along.
Sorry but I was born in 1956 and grew up working my tail off first our impoversihed little pig farm and later doing construction and working iin a dingy steel mill. I also spent time in both an infantry unit in the Army and aboard a search and rescue vessel in the US Coast Guard. After that, I worked my way through college and earned three degrees (BS, MS, and PhD). I also raised 2 children along the way. I worked my way up from the pretty much the bottom to the top of my organization. I did that through hard work and gutting things out when most other people wouldn't. Instead, alot of folks in my organization spent most of their time complaining about things and playing little petty backstabbing games that got them nowhere in the end. Believe me, I can weather a bad year or two....I am just saying that allot of boomers have become whiny old grey hairs who complain about everything just like alot of their parents did. I am also telling you that we are not leaving the next generation in the best shape in the world, which is at least partially due to our own greed and excesses. Alot of things in the world are going to hell out there and alot of us spend most of out time trying to pass stupid laws to regulate everything imaginable to control the lives of everyone else. IMO - We are becoming petty and irrelevant and are as bad as our parents were in terms of being hypocritical old has-beens. We also think that we earned the right to complain about everyone else and we don't take criticism very well - Sad but true....Maybe we really have become that "generation of sissies" that good old Archie Bunker used to say that we were.

Last edited by Central Illinois 1; 02-24-2010 at 03:26 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or