U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2011, 07:47 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,546 posts, read 39,924,861 times

Advertisements

IF I had to use some assistance from my kids (unlikely) they would not be impressed, but they were also brought up with ME caring for their ill grandparent (who I got responsibility of the day I turned 18).

I will trust my kids and grandkids will cope EVEN if they have to help me. I certainly wouldn't be bothered about using $$ my grandkids felt entitled to pay for THEIR college. I would feel totally inept as a parent if either my kids or grandkids couldn't handle their own college $$. It is really quite trivial for college kids to pay their own way. There are still plenty of employers who pay / reimburse tuition, as well as provide 'fellowships'. There are many other options, including military or..., STUDENT loans . It is really quite cheap and ez for students to get a loan, and their parent / grandparent can pay it off AFTER the kid graduates AND gets a job...

Worked well for me and mine (They consolidated $15k total college expense into 20 yr loans at 2.7%, can't tell me that is not CHEAP funds for college). They each had over $50k in ROTHs (since age 12) so they are free to pay for college or pay off loans. Mine were homeschooled, so went to college on the State Dime, instead of bothering with High School. That saved some bucks for them.

As far as how much to retire... obviously more than I had when I pulled the plug at age 49. Healthcare, property taxes, AND energy costs have seen serious gains. I will be looking for another country...USA is nearly impossible to live on your estimates. Things change DRAMATICALLY. Today the dump / recycle prices went up 300%, more to follow. Other coutries have the same issue, but the starting point is much more affordable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2011, 12:39 AM
GLS

1,985 posts, read 4,846,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilgrim21784 View Post
.......................... Just my $0.0002 opinion.
..... Cutting a hole in your own rowboat to patch the kid(s)'s boat is a bad idea......
Great "rowboat" metaphor. Just for the record, your "two cents worth" is actually worth 100 times more than you estimate it to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or