U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 12-22-2015, 10:13 AM
 
Location: Henderson, NV
3,450 posts, read 2,252,518 times
Reputation: 36542

Advertisements

I may have answered this earlier in the thread but can't be bothered going back to check. I live in Sun City Anthem, Henderson, NV which is a large 55+ community developed by Del Webb 15 years ago. We have about 7,000 homes, 11,000 residents and are adjacent to the Henderson metro area of about 250,000, so no feelings of isolation from the real world. Transportation is not a problem for folks who can no longer drive, with courtesy transportation available through our Community Service group or the City of Henderson. Our monthly fees are $80 which help maintain the 3 rec centers with swimming pools, 2 fitness centers, common areas and the meeting rooms for our 55 clubs. We all maintain our own yards and all homes are free-standing. We have 2 golf courses in the community but our association does not own them which is the way we like it. I volunteer for our community patrol and a board committee called "Lifestyles" which reviews plans for the use of our common areas, tennis courts, bocce courts, paddle tennis and pickleball courts. I belong to a card club and ceramics club and have or currently serve on their boards. I also volunteer at the local hospital (about 3 miles away but outside the 55+ community) and take watercolor painting classes at a gallery in Henderson. Finally, I golf once a week (very badly) at a short course a few miles away. The Las Vegas airport is a 20 minute drive away and since I travel quite a bit, my group of friends take turns taking me to the airport and picking me up and I do the same for them.


I came to the community five years ago as a single woman, knowing no one and made friends quickly. The weather is fabulous, no state taxes and this has proven to be the perfect place for my retirement after 32 years in the cold, snowy Midwest.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-22-2015, 04:11 PM
 
Location: Ponte Vedra Beach FL
14,628 posts, read 17,917,951 times
Reputation: 6716
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiKate View Post
I may have answered this earlier in the thread but can't be bothered going back to check. I live in Sun City Anthem, Henderson, NV which is a large 55+ community developed by Del Webb 15 years ago. We have about 7,000 homes, 11,000 residents and are adjacent to the Henderson metro area of about 250,000, so no feelings of isolation from the real world. Transportation is not a problem for folks who can no longer drive, with courtesy transportation available through our Community Service group or the City of Henderson. Our monthly fees are $80 which help maintain the 3 rec centers with swimming pools, 2 fitness centers, common areas and the meeting rooms for our 55 clubs. We all maintain our own yards and all homes are free-standing. We have 2 golf courses in the community but our association does not own them which is the way we like it. I volunteer for our community patrol and a board committee called "Lifestyles" which reviews plans for the use of our common areas, tennis courts, bocce courts, paddle tennis and pickleball courts. I belong to a card club and ceramics club and have or currently serve on their boards. I also volunteer at the local hospital (about 3 miles away but outside the 55+ community) and take watercolor painting classes at a gallery in Henderson. Finally, I golf once a week (very badly) at a short course a few miles away. The Las Vegas airport is a 20 minute drive away and since I travel quite a bit, my group of friends take turns taking me to the airport and picking me up and I do the same for them.

I came to the community five years ago as a single woman, knowing no one and made friends quickly. The weather is fabulous, no state taxes and this has proven to be the perfect place for my retirement after 32 years in the cold, snowy Midwest.
I think that the older Del Webb communities may be better in terms of being closer to things. Because they were built when land wasn't as expensive as it is today. I'd be more than 10 miles farther away from most things (medical/shopping/most restaurants/recreation) if I moved to our local (new) Del Webb community here as compared to where I'm living now.

Where does your local transportation take you to? My father lives in a senior independent living facility here. Which only provides scheduled group transportation on a bus to local shopping - some places of worship - and some cultural events (the last only if enough people sign up). Individual transportation is available if scheduled in advance - but only for doctors' appointments. Some of this transportation is included in the monthly rent - some isn't. How old are you? My father is 97 - and I am 68. I think some of this analysis has to do with drilling in on appropriate age groups for these communities (among others).

Being responsible for one's yard maintenance would be a negative if I were an older senior and didn't want to do it myself - or deal with outside services myself. Does it work that way in all Del Webb communities?

Finally - I agree with you 100% about living in a relatively warm climate in a state that doesn't have state income taxes. We've been in Florida for 40+ years and don't have any desire/intention to leave. Also - playing golf badly (which I do as well) is better than not playing at all. Just don't forget the sunscreen . Robn
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2015, 04:35 PM
 
29,764 posts, read 34,848,700 times
Reputation: 11675
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiKate View Post
I may have answered this earlier in the thread but can't be bothered going back to check. I live in Sun City Anthem, Henderson, NV which is a large 55+ community developed by Del Webb 15 years ago. We have about 7,000 homes, 11,000 residents and are adjacent to the Henderson metro area of about 250,000, so no feelings of isolation from the real world. Transportation is not a problem for folks who can no longer drive, with courtesy transportation available through our Community Service group or the City of Henderson. Our monthly fees are $80 which help maintain the 3 rec centers with swimming pools, 2 fitness centers, common areas and the meeting rooms for our 55 clubs. We all maintain our own yards and all homes are free-standing. We have 2 golf courses in the community but our association does not own them which is the way we like it. I volunteer for our community patrol and a board committee called "Lifestyles" which reviews plans for the use of our common areas, tennis courts, bocce courts, paddle tennis and pickleball courts. I belong to a card club and ceramics club and have or currently serve on their boards. I also volunteer at the local hospital (about 3 miles away but outside the 55+ community) and take watercolor painting classes at a gallery in Henderson. Finally, I golf once a week (very badly) at a short course a few miles away. The Las Vegas airport is a 20 minute drive away and since I travel quite a bit, my group of friends take turns taking me to the airport and picking me up and I do the same for them.


I came to the community five years ago as a single woman, knowing no one and made friends quickly. The weather is fabulous, no state taxes and this has proven to be the perfect place for my retirement after 32 years in the cold, snowy Midwest.
Your story seems to be the model of the successful Del Webb experience. You meet and form a group of friends and then take advantage of the opportunities to do much together.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2015, 04:40 PM
 
Location: Ponte Vedra Beach FL
14,628 posts, read 17,917,951 times
Reputation: 6716
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Active Adult Retirement Communities | Carolina Arbors by Del Webb | Durham, NC | Del Webb New Home Builders

As you might note many of the clubs activities are not real strenuous and provide a social outlet as people age and might become less physically active. Also there was a emphasis on in home socializing and many of the upgrades enhance that socializing. All with a price.
I know people who had to give up golf at 60 (due to arthritis or similar). Others who are still playing golf (or even tennis) at 90. I started to play golf when I was 55 due to rotator cuff issues when it came to tennis (didn't want surgery). My father swam laps until he was in his late 80's. At 97 - he still does time on a stationary bike every day. Everyone's mileage varies.

When it comes to activities that stretch one's brain - I have been very impressed with our local excellent OLLI program at the University of North Florida. If that kind of thing was my cup of tea - I would definitely take local OLLI programs into account when thinking about a move.

As for in-home socializing - how many seniors do you think are into that? I am an enthusiastic home cook - but have tired in terms of cooking meals catering to the specific dietary needs/wants of many people these days (gluten free - salt free - sugar free - meat free - this free - that free). Isn't any fun. My father's girlfriend - in her 80's - well I don't think she's cooked a meal in the last decade. When her husband died - she hung up her apron.

There are differences between the lifestyles people try to sell us - as opposed to the lifestyles we want - and actually live. Robyn
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2015, 04:54 PM
 
29,764 posts, read 34,848,700 times
Reputation: 11675
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
I know people who had to give up golf at 60 (due to arthritis or similar). Others who are still playing golf (or even tennis) at 90. I started to play golf when I was 55 due to rotator cuff issues when it came to tennis (didn't want surgery). My father swam laps until he was in his late 80's. At 97 - he still does time on a stationary bike every day. Everyone's mileage varies.

When it comes to activities that stretch one's brain - I have been very impressed with our local excellent OLLI program at the University of North Florida. If that kind of thing was my cup of tea - I would definitely take local OLLI programs into account when thinking about a move.

As for in-home socializing - how many seniors do you think are into that? I am an enthusiastic home cook - but have tired in terms of cooking meals catering to the specific dietary needs/wants of many people these days (gluten free - salt free - sugar free - meat free - this free - that free). Isn't any fun. My father's girlfriend - in her 80's - well I don't think she's cooked a meal in the last decade. When her husband died - she hung up her apron.

There are differences between the lifestyles people try to sell us - as opposed to the lifestyles we want - and actually live. Robyn
It is both, the sales model and what people who really like it as noted by some who live there have embraced. Not everyone has and does and may not get their moneys worth out of living there. That is part of what folks need to evaluate. If you are the stay at home sort then home is where you will be. If you are the participant sort than it is there for you. It is not a decision to be made lightly as it comes with a price, however there is much more to being in that environment if that's what fits you also. The drawback probably most noted is the lack of younger people especially kids and if you like that than it would't probably be for you. There is a 55 plus community sorta close to us. It is mixed in a regular neighborhood and has a smallish community center. We have driven around a couple of times and it is amazing that there are always people out walking and they all smile and wave as we drive by. It is built out with only a couple of resales available but there are people out and about sometimes in their driveways and they smile and wave.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2015, 04:57 PM
 
Location: Ponte Vedra Beach FL
14,628 posts, read 17,917,951 times
Reputation: 6716
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Your story seems to be the model of the successful Del Webb experience. You meet and form a group of friends and then take advantage of the opportunities to do much together.
You really have to drill into the particular demographics of any retirement community. The place where my father lives - the average age is 84 - and about 80% of the residents are single women (divorced/widowed/never married). They have their social groups (which remind me of high school cliques) and the most popular seem to get along great. But couples don't fit in so well - single men either. You really have to do your homework. Keeping in mind that if you move into a place where the average age is now 75 - you'll probably wind up in a place like where my father lives 10 years down the road (just because most of the men/husbands will die first). Robyn
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2015, 06:11 PM
 
29,764 posts, read 34,848,700 times
Reputation: 11675
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
You really have to drill into the particular demographics of any retirement community. The place where my father lives - the average age is 84 - and about 80% of the residents are single women (divorced/widowed/never married). They have their social groups (which remind me of high school cliques) and the most popular seem to get along great. But couples don't fit in so well - single men either. You really have to do your homework. Keeping in mind that if you move into a place where the average age is now 75 - you'll probably wind up in a place like where my father lives 10 years down the road (just because most of the men/husbands will die first). Robyn
Having only drilled a tad it might appear that those stats hold at age 75 also. One of the houses had a model with two first floor masters which would lend itself to two non married folks living together. You might find the following interesting. It is about a Del Webb survey of single Boomer woman and you one could suggest that the newer communities are targeting them.
Pulte Group - Age Is Just A Number: Single Female Baby Boomers Happier, Healthier Than Ever

Quote:
ATLANTA, Feb. 18, 2015 – The adage “youth is wasted on the young” doesn’t apply to today’s single, female Baby Boomers. In fact, 76 percent of single women over 55 feel younger than their age, according to new data from Del Webb, a national brand of PulteGroup, Inc. (NYSE: PHM), one of the nation’s largest homebuilders.

The first data in a series of new results from the recently conducted Del Webb Baby Boomer Survey of single, Baby Boomer women, finds that 74 percent of respondents are as happy, or happier, than they were at age 35 and nearly half (45 percent) believe their best years are yet to come.
Quote:
About the Del Webb Baby Boomer Survey
The Del Webb Baby Boomer Survey polled 1,020 single, female U.S. adults ages 50-68. The survey was conducted online by Nielsen from December 1-8, 2014. Findings for the total sample are projectable to the universe of 50-68-year-old U.S. females. At a 95 percent confidence level, a margin of sample error of +/- 4 percent applies to the sample. Since 1996, Del Webb has conducted more than ten Baby Boomer surveys to better understand this large, powerful demographic.
About Del Webb
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2015, 06:20 PM
 
29,764 posts, read 34,848,700 times
Reputation: 11675
This is a 2013 Del Webb Baby Boomer survey:

Pulte Group - Retirement Looks Bright for Baby Boomers
Quote:
While family remains important to baby boomers, not having children around presents a newfound freedom. As a whole, nine of ten current empty nester boomers indicated they are happy, and they look forward to increased personal time (95 percent), time with their significant other or dating (85 percent), and socializing with friends (85 percent) now that the kids are gone.

This freedom becomes so dear to them that 68 percent said they would rather lend their child financial support than allow them to move back home. When asked if boomers are planning to move now that the kids have left the nest, more than half (55 percent) say they are planning to move to a new home at some point in the future, with nearly 10 percent indicating they may move out of state or to a warmer climate.
Quote:
Part of this newfound freedom can also involve finding new friends and companions later in life through dating. When asked about their attitudes toward dating, 56 percent of single boomers said they are open to dating – showing love and companionship knows no age limits. Forty-five percent of single boomers said they are actively dating, but not necessarily looking for love and marriage. Whether looking for a new friend or someone to tie the knot with, single boomers agreed that the top ways to meet someone is through friends/family (66 percent) and social activities/fitness classes/clubs (56 percent).
So yes the newer Del Webb communities are in marketing and design reflecting their research findings.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2015, 08:31 PM
 
Location: Florida
5,226 posts, read 3,005,081 times
Reputation: 9580
Not all condos are high rise, we had one in AZ that was a one story town house, and before that a raised one story in FL.
I gave away the lawn mower in 1987 and haven't missed it yet.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2015, 09:21 PM
 
Location: Henderson, NV
3,450 posts, read 2,252,518 times
Reputation: 36542
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
Where does your local transportation take you to? My father lives in a senior independent living facility here. Which only provides scheduled group transportation on a bus to local shopping - some places of worship - and some cultural events (the last only if enough people sign up). Individual transportation is available if scheduled in advance - but only for doctors' appointments. Some of this transportation is included in the monthly rent - some isn't. How old are you? My father is 97 - and I am 68. I think some of this analysis has to do with drilling in on appropriate age groups for these communities (among others).

Being responsible for one's yard maintenance would be a negative if I were an older senior and didn't want to do it myself - or deal with outside services myself. Does it work that way in all Del Webb communities?
Local transportation through our Community Service Club is individualized and volunteers take residents wherever they need to go in the metro area. Residents use it for doctor's appointments, outpatient surgery pick-up/drop-off, shopping, movies -- whatever. The city services are primarily for doctor's appointments I believe.


My yard maintenance is minimal -- xeriscape -- and any larger tree trimming or shrub removal is over to me. I choose to contract it out -- last time for about 3 hours work cost me $100.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top