U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2015, 05:45 AM

16 posts, read 17,829 times

Advertisements

My husband and I just moved to the Del Webb community of Carolina Arbors in Durham. (Actual location is right over the Durham county line and much closer to Raleigh than Durham) We made the decision to move from the DC area to find a slower pace of life and also be able to develop friendships since it's very difficult to do in work-centric DC.

There are all ages in this community and we're finding different levels of activities based on ages. We're mid sixties and in good health (knock on wood) so we have gravitated towards couples close to our age. It's very easy to build friendships if you want to be involved. We've been invited to all kinds of parties and dinners and neighbors here look out for one another. When the 37,000 sf amenity center opens next month the clubs and activities will only increase. The easiest way to meet people is to walk the dog. Since we've had incredible weather it often takes an hour because folks stop to introduce themselves.

Everything you could possibly need is within a few minute drive from here. A huge shopping mall, restaurants, medical care and a new Harris Teeter is being planned. If you need a ride somewhere all you need to do is ask a neighbor.

We love our house and the construction process was painless. We opted for grab bars in our showers and felt the $100 cost was well worth the investment.

It's our understanding that due to the popularity of this community Del Webb is actively looking for another Raleigh location. This community is selling so fast they are closing on twenty homes a month.

Last edited by lynnmc2066; 12-23-2015 at 05:56 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2015, 07:01 AM

484 posts, read 478,424 times
When thinking about moving to a Del Webb community, there are two things to consider...the age of the home and the age of your future neighbors.

Before we bought, we had considered virtually every 55-plus community in Arizona. We quickly realized we didn't want to deal with an old house, so we quickly ruled out the original Sun City, as well as its nearby communities...Grand and West.

The other major reason for ruling out an "older" community was that along with older houses come older neighbors. (Before I go any further, let me jump in and say I have nothing against old people. In fact, I am an old person...and hope to keep getting old for a while longer.) Okay, now that I have that out of the way...

Maybe I should replace the term "older neighbors" with "established neighbors". We realized that trying to break into social circles that were established 20 years ago might be tough. Kind of like being the new kid in a high school where all the kids had been friends since nursery school. Sometimes being the new kid on the block...literally, in this case...can be a challenge.

So we opted for a newer community...with newer houses and newer neighbors. In fact, even though our community is about seven years old, our particular neighborhood is only about a year old...and growing. So everyone who moves here is in the same boat...er, house. And...one other very important point...most of the people in our neighborhood are in our same age range...late 50s to early 60s. Plus, they continue to put up new houses at an astonishing rate. So even though we only moved in a few months ago, we are no longer the new kids on the block. As more houses are completed and new neighbors move in, we think we will have more friends than we'll have time. Which is a good thing....

Old 12-23-2015, 10:58 AM

2,786 posts, read 3,962,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbpakrfan View Post
When thinking about moving to a Del Webb community, there are two things to consider...the age of the home and the age of your future neighbors.

Before we bought, we had considered virtually every 55-plus community in Arizona. We quickly realized we didn't want to deal with an old house, so we quickly ruled out the original Sun City, as well as its nearby communities...Grand and West.

The other major reason for ruling out an "older" community was that along with older houses come older neighbors. (Before I go any further, let me jump in and say I have nothing against old people. In fact, I am an old person...and hope to keep getting old for a while longer.) Okay, now that I have that out of the way...

Maybe I should replace the term "older neighbors" with "established neighbors". We realized that trying to break into social circles that were established 20 years ago might be tough. Kind of like being the new kid in a high school where all the kids had been friends since nursery school. Sometimes being the new kid on the block...literally, in this case...can be a challenge.

So we opted for a newer community...with newer houses and newer neighbors. In fact, even though our community is about seven years old, our particular neighborhood is only about a year old...and growing. So everyone who moves here is in the same boat...er, house. And...one other very important point...most of the people in our neighborhood are in our same age range...late 50s to early 60s. Plus, they continue to put up new houses at an astonishing rate. So even though we only moved in a few months ago, we are no longer the new kids on the block. As more houses are completed and new neighbors move in, we think we will have more friends than we'll have time. Which is a good thing....
Good advice!

Old 12-23-2015, 01:31 PM

29,766 posts, read 34,851,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnmc2066 View Post
My husband and I just moved to the Del Webb community of Carolina Arbors in Durham. (Actual location is right over the Durham county line and much closer to Raleigh than Durham) We made the decision to move from the DC area to find a slower pace of life and also be able to develop friendships since it's very difficult to do in work-centric DC.

There are all ages in this community and we're finding different levels of activities based on ages. We're mid sixties and in good health (knock on wood) so we have gravitated towards couples close to our age. It's very easy to build friendships if you want to be involved. We've been invited to all kinds of parties and dinners and neighbors here look out for one another. When the 37,000 sf amenity center opens next month the clubs and activities will only increase. The easiest way to meet people is to walk the dog. Since we've had incredible weather it often takes an hour because folks stop to introduce themselves.

Everything you could possibly need is within a few minute drive from here. A huge shopping mall, restaurants, medical care and a new Harris Teeter is being planned. If you need a ride somewhere all you need to do is ask a neighbor.

We love our house and the construction process was painless. We opted for grab bars in our showers and felt the $100 cost was well worth the investment.

It's our understanding that due to the popularity of this community Del Webb is actively looking for another Raleigh location. This community is selling so fast they are closing on twenty homes a month.
We are hoping for a third one and the timing might be perfect. It is planned with transplants in mind. We love the Martin Ray model.

Old 12-23-2015, 02:49 PM

14,628 posts, read 17,920,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiKate View Post
Local transportation through our Community Service Club is individualized and volunteers take residents wherever they need to go in the metro area. Residents use it for doctor's appointments, outpatient surgery pick-up/drop-off, shopping, movies -- whatever. The city services are primarily for doctor's appointments I believe.

My yard maintenance is minimal -- xeriscape -- and any larger tree trimming or shrub removal is over to me. I choose to contract it out -- last time for about 3 hours work cost me $100.
So you're saying there are "city services" - which I presume aren't operated by Del Webb. Right? Some areas have municipal senior/handicap transportation services. Especially for people near or below poverty levels. Some don't. We live in a county that has very limited or no services along these lines. So - WRT to our local Del Webb community (in our county) - I wouldn't count on that option.

As for volunteers - who are they? If they're neighbors/fellow residents - well if you're getting too old to drive - perhaps many/most of them are too? Some of the people in my father's place who knew they shouldn't be driving have been involved in very serious auto accidents that resulted in terrible injuries and even death in one case when they were being driven by neighbors who thought they were still "good to go" in terms of driving.

I think that transportation is a very big concern for seniors - especially as we get older. Or should be. And relying on equally elderly neighbors isn't a good option IMO. I am hoping that - as we get older - that Uber or similar will provide better service where we live (we're right on the edge of its "good" service area now). At my age - I sure wouldn't be looking to be living farther away from things than where I am now - to a more distant suburb or an exurb.

If the average Del Webb buyer is indeed close to 75 these days - I think the firm is ignoring a very important issue - which is transportation needs - especially when people get to be 80 or so. Then again - Del Webb is basically a developer. An outfit that builds houses. Not an outfit that plans - builds - or operates "senior facilities".

As for landscaping - what I think you're saying is Del Webb keeps the place tidy - but it's up to you to do the "heavy lifting". Such as it is in Nevada. Which I guess isn't much. Our tree work is very expensive. Then again - we live on a heavily wooded 3/4 acre lot. From what I saw of the Del Webb community here - they're tiny little lots that have been cleared of existing trees to the maximum extent allowed by law. This is probably a development by development thing that prospective buyers should investigate. Note that I am of 2 minds when it comes to our lot. On the one hand - the landscaping costs are a large part of our expenses to run our house. OTOH - I love the way it looks (like a park) - and the privacy it affords. I lived very close to neighbors in high rise condos for 20+ years - and didn't like it one bit. Don't think I'd enjoy it any more living on a very small lot. The mileage of other people may vary. It's additional "food for thought". Robyn

Old 12-23-2015, 03:07 PM

14,628 posts, read 17,920,408 times
Quote:
...The other major reason for ruling out an "older" community was that along with older houses come older neighbors. (Before I go any further, let me jump in and say I have nothing against old people. In fact, I am an old person...and hope to keep getting old for a while longer.) Okay, now that I have that out of the way...
No reason to apologize or try to be politically correct. If the development is 20 years old - and most people moved there when they were 60-65 - they're 80-85 now. Or dead. Or in ALFs or SNFs. And won't have much in common with 60 year olds.

You sound like you're more in the age group that I thought these places attracted. Where you probably have - on average - 20 years or so before they won't meet your needs in many ways. Or perhaps the need of a spouse who will need more in the way of care in an ALF or a SNF.

I think one thing younger seniors should look at when moving to a new place - anywhere - is what kind of care places are "in the neighborhood". We moved to our current place when we were 50 or so. And wound up needing local care here for 2 elderly parents. It was never something that entered our minds as a consideration when we moved here - but we were lucky that good/excellent facilities existed here that met our needs WRT our parents when they arose. If I was moving into a Del Webb kind of place at age 70-75 - I'd make sure that there were good/excellent facilities in the area that could be used if I or a spouse needed them. Just based on personal experience - a lot of "sh**" seems to hit the fan when people get to be about 80 or so (that was the case with 3 of our 4 parents). Robyn

Old 12-23-2015, 06:48 PM

8,947 posts, read 7,725,979 times
As said:

Del Webb is basically a developer. An outfit that builds houses. Not an outfit that plans - builds - or operates "senior facilities".

Ones first retirement place may well not be their last. More need to understand and plan on this.

Old 12-24-2015, 07:26 AM

484 posts, read 478,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post

I think one thing younger seniors should look at when moving to a new place - anywhere - is what kind of care places are "in the neighborhood". We moved to our current place when we were 50 or so. And wound up needing local care here for 2 elderly parents. It was never something that entered our minds as a consideration when we moved here - but we were lucky that good/excellent facilities existed here that met our needs WRT our parents when they arose. If I was moving into a Del Webb kind of place at age 70-75 - I'd make sure that there were good/excellent facilities in the area that could be used if I or a spouse needed them. Just based on personal experience - a lot of "sh**" seems to hit the fan when people get to be about 80 or so (that was the case with 3 of our 4 parents). Robyn
Good point about thinking about proximity to care facilities.

Coincidentally, both our doctor and our dentist are located just outside the front entrance to our community, right next to the Safeway. Oh, and the local hospital is right next door to all of those places. In fact, I can see the hospital from my driveway and if I was a better golfer, could probably hit it with a decent drive.

Old 12-24-2015, 07:36 AM

29,766 posts, read 34,851,819 times
Quote:
Good point about thinking about proximity to care facilities.

Coincidentally, both our doctor and our dentist are located just outside the front entrance to our community, right next to the Safeway. Oh, and the local hospital is right next door to all of those places. In fact, I can see the hospital from my driveway and if I was a better golfer, could probably hit it with a decent drive.
The new Durham one is smack in the middle of a lot including upscale shopping and top hospitals.

Old 12-24-2015, 07:53 AM

8,947 posts, read 7,725,979 times
When I reference senior facilities I am not talking about the nearness of doctors, dentists, shopping, transportation, etc. I am referring to more of an assisted living arrangement, home services, etc. Especially true if one half of a couple needs such.

I love Del Webb Hilton Head, but it is not a "assistance needed in retirement" facility nor was it designed to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or