U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 05:50 PM

1,236 posts, read 3,607,940 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
What worries me about the 55+ communities is the number of snowbirds who will leave in the summer. A full-timer could end up on a street with hardly any neighbors for months. That would be a strange sensation.
This is especially true about The Villages in central Florida and it is a concern to me also, as I've been researching TV for a couple of years.

The best place to learn all about living in TV is from Talkofthevillages dot com. Most of the participants on the site (residents) will boast of its positive aspects but with some digging into past posts, you can get an understanding of some of the negative aspects. Singles are a huge minority and I can only imagine the competition for a single woman when they outnumber the men
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2010, 08:37 PM

8,093 posts, read 13,231,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
What worries me about the 55+ communities is the number of snowbirds who will leave in the summer. A full-timer could end up on a street with hardly any neighbors for months. That would be a strange sensation.
LOL - I live in the boonies now, I would consider this a plus.

Could also enhance my revenue, could start up a house-watching business

Old 03-04-2010, 05:50 AM

6,992 posts, read 6,987,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
LOL - I live in the boonies now, I would consider this a plus.

Could also enhance my revenue, could start up a house-watching business
Hey, that's a good idea!

I'd do the pet sitting thing if I weren't afraid of big dogs.

Old 03-09-2010, 09:07 AM

37,105 posts, read 45,622,935 times
We have visited two over 55 communities where friends live..not Del Webb. Even though there are a lot of activities which can be fun, it's all old people, and it's always the same old people. Sure, it's nice to share similar life experiences with people your own age, but we're only in our early 60's and I'd prefer more of a cross section of ages.

Old 12-28-2014, 08:43 PM

1 posts, read 1,549 times
Default Del Webb is Amazing

I am a little confused with some of the posts.
My mom has owned a small home in Sun City West Arizona for 10 years and we both think it is amazing.
It's an adult play land. Tons of amenities and things to do. People that are active are friendly-- everyone is a transplant. Our neighbors are the best and we get together for holidays and have a lot of fun. I am still working but I love to visit. My mom is a snowbird and the highlight of her year is spending time in Sun City West.

Old 12-28-2014, 10:22 PM

10,816 posts, read 8,061,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carrieam View Post
I am a little confused with some of the posts.
My mom has owned a small home in Sun City West Arizona for 10 years and we both think it is amazing.
It's an adult play land. Tons of amenities and things to do. People that are active are friendly-- everyone is a transplant. Our neighbors are the best and we get together for holidays and have a lot of fun. I am still working but I love to visit. My mom is a snowbird and the highlight of her year is spending time in Sun City West.
Not sure why a first-time poster would bump an ancient thread unless she's a shill.

That said, anyone considering a Del Webb home can easily do a short-term rental before committing.

Old 12-29-2014, 08:13 AM

4,365 posts, read 3,698,498 times
I started looking only at Del Webb new construction. I did not think they lived up to the reputation I had and we went to a different builder for better builder/ buyer interface.

Lifestyle will depend more on the residents, size of the community, and financial stability of the HOA, than the builder.

Old 12-29-2014, 09:17 AM

9,321 posts, read 16,579,200 times
We like living in the original Sun City here in AZ. We have been here for 3 years now. There are things about ourselves we have discovered and one is that we are not club people lol. I joined one of the clubs here and gave it 3 years but find some of the toxic personalities too much to deal with. It was like being back in high school and having to deal with bully types again lol. Some people never grow up and seem to get a pickle tickle out of what pathetic power and control they gain and hurting feelings. If you have thick skin, do not value your time, then jump in and you may make friends and find something wonderful to do. We like our little chicken coop and art studio at home. And if you do come to Sun City, just remind yourself there is life just beyond the walls, plenty of good organizations to belong to. It is a cheap place to retire to, nothing more, nothing less.

Old 12-29-2014, 09:41 AM

9,753 posts, read 7,033,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
Not sure why a first-time poster would bump an ancient thread unless she's a shill.

That said, anyone considering a Del Webb home can easily do a short-term rental before committing.
I think often those who bump up old threads are caught up by the topic of the thread, and don't notice the dates. I've come close to doing that myself, but it's not a bad thing if the topic is still relevant.

Old 12-30-2014, 09:20 AM

37,105 posts, read 45,622,935 times
I know 2 couples who have lived in the Sun City in Hilton Head. One couple moved because it was too expensive. They used some amenities, but do not play golf, and just felt like it was too much. They are happy renting in a gated community in FL where their total cost is $1500 a month.
The second couple, still lives there and really likes it, but they are healthy and active. The husband told me there is nothing in Sun City for those who transition from active to needing assisted living. If this is needed, they will need to move, and this concerns him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or