U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2015, 05:48 PM

29,764 posts, read 34,851,819 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
The older ages make sense. We're about the same age - I'm 68 and my husband is 70. And did you ever think of moving into a 55+ community when you were 55? I know I didn't. If my husband and I could find our perfect place - we'd move now (but it wouldn't be to a "senior" place). Absent finding the perfect place (have looked a lot but haven't found any) - we will simply age in place where we are now. Until it is impossible for us to do so.

When it comes to the age limit stuff - I think those are the (federal) rules a 55+ community has to follow to get around issues of age discrimination (and similar). Robyn
My wife has decided the time isn't now even though we found a house we love. She likes the kids in the neighborhood and seeing them out and about and playing plus we love our yard etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2015, 06:21 PM

8,948 posts, read 7,721,438 times
The golf courses at Sun City Hilton Head (Bluffton SC) are owned by the HOA and they make money for the HOA. The cry that everyone pays for but does not use the golf courses are generally from those that do not play golf. Same with many amenities.

Old 12-09-2015, 04:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
The golf courses at Sun City Hilton Head (Bluffton SC) are owned by the HOA and they make money for the HOA. The cry that everyone pays for but does not use the golf courses are generally from those that do not play golf. Same with many amenities.
What is the monthly HOA fee and I bet it is dirt cheap. You are paying for the amenities in the cost of your house and the amenities are known up front and you either do or don't. You get your reward on the back end when you go to sell and the golf course makes your property more attractive. Sorta like complaining that the community was more expensive because of its proximity to the beach and you don't go to the beach. Ok, you knew it up front. Also the golf course will get friends and family from elsewhere to visit so they can play it and meet your friends who do. Just because you don't play doesn't mean you can't hang out with your friends after they do and it fact be more rested and perhaps not enjoy your brewskie as much.

Old 12-09-2015, 04:56 AM

71,463 posts, read 71,652,652 times
we had the same thing where we owned the pocono home . the tanglwood ski area was in the center of our development .

not everyone was a skier but it added value .

now that the ski area closed up and is gone property values plummeted . not only that but area business are failing or up for sale . they lost months of income compared to what was .

the people we sold to 3-1/2 years ago just sold the house for 50k less plus broker fees just because the ski area being gone hurt demand so much .. we paid 20k less then the folks we bought from so that is a huge drop in price from 2007 since they owned it 2 years before we bought it . .

Old 12-09-2015, 06:08 AM

14,628 posts, read 17,917,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
What is the monthly HOA fee and I bet it is dirt cheap. You are paying for the amenities in the cost of your house and the amenities are known up front and you either do or don't. You get your reward on the back end when you go to sell and the golf course makes your property more attractive. Sorta like complaining that the community was more expensive because of its proximity to the beach and you don't go to the beach. Ok, you knew it up front. Also the golf course will get friends and family from elsewhere to visit so they can play it and meet your friends who do. Just because you don't play doesn't mean you can't hang out with your friends after they do and it fact be more rested and perhaps not enjoy your brewskie as much.
Whereas people of many ages seem to have an enduring fascination with the beach - the same can't be said of golf. Which is losing its appeal/players in terms of younger generations:

Golf Loses Players as Millennials Find It Expensive, Time-Consuming - Businessweek

So my preference - as a golfer - is to live in an area where I have various options for playing (which may and which have changed over the years) - and not tie my fate exclusively to any single option. I also want to retain the option to "drop out" should we stop playing golf. The mileage of other people may vary. But - like when it comes to the ski area where mathjak used to live - many golf courses are subject to decline and closure these days. Or they can morph from nice private/semi-private facilities to not-so-nice public ones. You really have to do your homework when it comes to locking yourself into a limited situation.

FWIW - I would never take HOA fees in any new community that is still controlled by the developer as any indication of what fees might run 5-10 or more years down the road. There is the inevitable bump when the developer turns over the association (about 25-30% based on my experiences in 2 condos and 1 HOA). Because developers keep the fees (artificially) low (using a variety of techniques) to attract buyers. And then there are increases based on higher maintenance costs as improvements in the community get old. Another source of higher fees is assessments which may be necessary for capital repairs/replacements. Florida has pretty strict rules about HOAs maintaining adequate reserves for these things - but some HOAs don't follow the rules. And similar rules may not exist in other states. Also - there is always the possibility of things like unexpected storm damage (which may not be covered/covered adequately by insurance).

Note that many newer communities today - especially in Florida - are in CDDs (Community Development Districts). Which add another layer of fees and complexity.

One thing I don't like about some 55+ communities that I've observed here in Florida is that as the residents age - they become increasingly resistant to paying higher fees to maintain places. So some places get run down. OTOH - "regular age" communities aren't immune from this. Which was obvious after the 2008 financial crisis. The places that seemed to be most prone to problems then IMO were - in no particular order - communities that weren't finished - lower end communities - and communities where lots of residents were part-time/seasonal.

Finally - if someone has never lived in a HOA before - I would definitely give any you're interested in a "test drive" before buying. All HOAs have rules - and the flavor of the rules - and how they're enforced - can vary a whole lot from one place to the next. People may wind up being a good fit for a particular HOA - or not. Robyn

Old 12-09-2015, 10:46 AM

^^^^^^^ We love HOA's and don't mind the fees and wouldn't live anywhere without one. Yes about the golf course and not all Del Webb's have them and yes it is a long term risk. The advantage of Del Webb communities now and in the expected mid range future is that the brand names of Del Webb and Pulte will require them to protect their brands as they continue to grow. Not all Del Webb's have golf courses and often there is a private or community one close by. Yes as residents get older they can be unwilling to pay for the amenities if they no longer use them. A strong set of HOA covenants becomes important. One can only wonder what 20-30 year old Del Webb communities will look like but Sun City Hilton Head still seems to be on track. Other active 55 communities may well be a crap shoot.

Old 12-09-2015, 10:52 AM

71,463 posts, read 71,652,652 times
i would only live in an hoa as well . i don't want my neighbor operating a garage for fixing cars next door like we once had .

i like the rules and regulations .

Old 12-09-2015, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
i would only live in an hoa as well . i don't want my neighbor operating a garage for fixing cars next door like we once had .

i like the rules and regulations .
You really appreciate when it is time to sell and your curb appeal is protected

Old 12-12-2015, 04:25 PM

8,948 posts, read 7,721,438 times
There are many levels of HOA's. I am in my 6th HOA in 3 states. Some were basic like my present one (no pool, no clubhouse, no parking lots, basically no nothing) up to and including ones that had a private golf course, members only clubhouse, full time staff, miles of private roads, etc. Even Del Webb/Sun City places run the gamut.

HOA's cannot all be lumped together nor should one base their decision on one person's experience in one place.

There is a time and place for different living arrangements.

Old 12-12-2015, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
There are many levels of HOA's. I am in my 6th HOA in 3 states. Some were basic like my present one (no pool, no clubhouse, no parking lots, basically no nothing) up to and including ones that had a private golf course, members only clubhouse, full time staff, miles of private roads, etc. Even Del Webb/Sun City places run the gamut.

HOA's cannot all be lumped together nor should one base their decision on one person's experience in one place.

There is a time and place for different living arrangements.
Mind sharing which Del Web home you have, we found one we love the Martin Ray
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or