U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2015, 05:17 PM

29,788 posts, read 34,885,423 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
The older ages make sense. We're about the same age - I'm 68 and my husband is 70. And did you ever think of moving into a 55+ community when you were 55? I know I didn't. If my husband and I could find our perfect place - we'd move now (but it wouldn't be to a "senior" place). Absent finding the perfect place (have looked a lot but haven't found any) - we will simply age in place where we are now. Until it is impossible for us to do so.

When it comes to the age limit stuff - I think those are the (federal) rules a 55+ community has to follow to get around issues of age discrimination (and similar). Robyn
The new Del Webb in Durham is in a fairly well off area with great shopping, hospitals etc near by. Golfing etc etc. At 55 I was researching for down the road. When we retired just short of 60 my wife had no interest but we are both getting there.
It is also a matter of how to deploy resources especially age 70 SS. Who knows we are looking at planned communities near the shore that are not age restricted. My one son and his wife are minutes away and want us close when we age so they can keep an eye on us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2015, 06:46 AM

As the days move on since our recent visit to Carolina Arbors I can only say we are moving closer to doing it and not further away. It is starting to make more sense and depending on financial and real estate markets it could be in a couple of years at age 70 either there or if filled hopefully another new one in the Raleigh area.

Old 12-13-2015, 08:51 AM

8,992 posts, read 7,758,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Mind sharing which Del Web home you have, we found one we love the Martin Ray
I do not live in a Del Webb community. I have friends at the one in Hilton Head (Bluffton) SC so I spend a few weekends a years there. I also looked long and hard at the 3 in SC so I have some experience. I would have moved to the one in Hilton Head but my late wife wanted to be near her family in Columbia.

Old 12-13-2015, 12:01 PM

2,221 posts, read 2,038,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
i would only live in an hoa as well . i don't want my neighbor operating a garage for fixing cars next door like we once had .

i like the rules and regulations .
I used to live in an HOA community. The HOA did nothing about the guy fixing cars two doors down. I called the zoning board and complained and they stopped it. Another option was to call the FD to have them look for prohibited hazardous materials or fire risk. So maybe you don't need the HOA.

Old 12-13-2015, 04:24 PM

14,628 posts, read 17,942,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Mind sharing which Del Web home you have, we found one we love the Martin Ray
Keeping in mind that this model varies from one part of the country to the other - I didn't like that floor plan (took a look). Among other things - I didn't like the idea of the front door dumping you into the dining room (had a condo like that once and didn't like it). Didn't like only one sink in the MBR - and no tub in the MBR either. Didn't like the golf cart parking space in back of car parking space. I also thought the price - about $350k for < 2000 sf feet in that market - was very high. OTOH - how big are the lots? Robyn

Old 12-13-2015, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
Keeping in mind that this model varies from one part of the country to the other - I didn't like that floor plan (took a look). Among other things - I didn't like the idea of the front door dumping you into the dining room (had a condo like that once and didn't like it). Didn't like only one sink in the MBR - and no tub in the MBR either. Didn't like the golf cart parking space in back of car parking space. I also thought the price - about $350k for < 2000 sf feet in that market - was very high. OTOH - how big are the lots? Robyn
Small you are paying up front for the amenities. The monthly HOA fee for grounds, the 37,000 sq ft rec center is only $187 the base price on the house is stripped and doesn't include lot premiums. The average upgrade they said was over 50K and the house we liked had over $150K in upgrades. It is located in a expensive part of the county with shopping and everything very close by. You have to have a very definite reason for living there. The cheapest lot premium is $2,000 and it can run up to $100k for the lot premium on top of upgrades. With upgrades you can get to about 3,000 sq ft and the one we liked was just under that. The top tier is 50ft wide and the other two are 40ft wide and the length/depth varies. A second floor with loft and bedroom is optional. You can configure the master bath for tub and shower or just a shower. Sun room or screened porch or nothing etc. You can on some lots do a basement but that would be a chunk of change. You are buying the recreational and social aspects of the community and your immediate neighborhood. You know the book club at the community center and the book club dinner at your house etc. Which invites you to upgrade to the options that enhance entertaining and comfort. We along with a couple we met both fell in love with the same house and said when we eventually move we want to be neighbors. We sat in the sunroom and just chatted for 15 minutes like we had known them a long time. We didn't like a number of floor plans but there were folks in those houses who loved them. The floor plans and how they had them furnished are indicative of different senior lifestyles. A master bedroom with a jack and jill bathroom with another bedroom. For couples who sleep apart from each other. Another with two first floor masters for single living together especially siblings. They were on opposite sides of the house etc. A number had the dining room right when you came in or you could use it as a flex room, library and use other space for dining.

Old 12-20-2015, 08:04 AM

7,629 posts, read 14,385,467 times
We live in a Del Webb community and LOVE it!

Old 12-20-2015, 02:08 PM

5,177 posts, read 8,701,447 times
Smile "Right" age to move to a 55 plus community?

I know this is a different answer for everyone but we know how cliques are and getting in at the right time can make a difference.

You don't want to be too young, too old - what is the age that you see most buying in these communities?

Old 12-21-2015, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
I know this is a different answer for everyone but we know how cliques are and getting in at the right time can make a difference.

You don't want to be too young, too old - what is the age that you see most buying in these communities?
72 plus and the sales folks have also mentioned that at several facilities and talking with other taking the tour and their resident ambassadors that seems to be a theme.

Old 12-21-2015, 02:07 PM

5,177 posts, read 8,701,447 times
Smile Interesting....

Much older than I thought, thanks.

Pressure off for a while then LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or