U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 09:23 PM
GLS

1,985 posts, read 4,847,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
i think id rather live long term in a refrigerator carton then a van......
I might be able to handle that, if the refrigerator is still in the carton....and its' filled with beer. Then again, back in the 60's the van came with a woman inside.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2010, 10:47 PM

26,104 posts, read 28,506,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
If I play my cards right it might be possible for me to "retire" at the ripe old age of 46.

I'm in my early 30's now, can pay off my mortgage with modest overpayments by then, will be able to collect retirement from my government job and my youngest child will be 18... all on my 46th birthday.

It seems too good to be true... so is it? You guys and gals that have been there, what advice can you give to make it happen? Is it even realistic to retire that early? Has anyone done it?
Chango, this is a great web site for people who retire early. It covers financial and philosophical aspects of life after the work force.

The guy who does the web site retired at 30.

www.earlyretirementextreme.com

Old 02-26-2010, 06:18 AM

668 posts, read 1,905,469 times
DONT DO IT!!! I retired age a ripe old age of 49, and I am bored out of my mind!! Everyone you know is working, when your not doing a thing, or just puttering around the house, being a nuisance to your Wife, and she is ready to scream at you, because you are always, constantly under foot!! LOL

Unlike me, if your still in a healthy state, I would work until I have to quit, or, quit that job and have another one lined up right away.

Retirement is for 'OLD PEOPLE' and in your 40s, that just aint old enough to do much, unless you are so financially stable, that you can travel and see the World, but, even then, that will get old after awhile...

If I wasnt disabled, I would still be working and loving it, because it gives you something to look forward to in the mornings or what ever shift you work... Not being able to do that, you start losing track of time, and things slip away, and you get into a routine that amounts to a 'rut'...

Just my opinion.

I wish you well...

Jesse

Old 02-26-2010, 03:08 PM

71,592 posts, read 71,751,865 times
all i can say is im pulling the plug at 57 and there arent enough hours in a day to do all the things we enjoy .... photopgraphy, bike trips, fishing, hunting , the list goes on and on.... as long as we have our health we are good to go

Last edited by mathjak107; 02-26-2010 at 04:20 PM..

Old 02-26-2010, 05:32 PM

16,092 posts, read 36,580,338 times
OK hold me to my promise at 55. Well it might be one month before I turn 56....

Old 02-27-2010, 04:53 AM

8,197 posts, read 11,915,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
OK hold me to my promise at 55. Well it might be one month before I turn 56....
That was exactly my plan. I turn 55 in Feb. 2011 and planned to work until 12/31/11. Instead, I worked out the figures and decided to pull the plug one month after my 54th birthday. I now have 2 1/2 days left.

And to give you an idea of how quick I'm getting out of here: I told my office that I do not want a party and wouldn't be around for one on my last day anyway. I am working until 1:00pm, walking out the front door, hailing a cab to the airport, and taking a 4:30 flight to Vegas!

Unless we get another blizzard that day.

Old 02-27-2010, 05:22 AM

364 posts, read 553,180 times
Congratulations MMoB! Enjoy your freedom. I just drove out the gate of the Navy Yard for the last time yesterday. I still have a bunch of work to do getting out of my house before my move to the beach, but I got TWO OFFERS on my house on Thursday, so I signed the papers and started the process. I had to wait until a month before my 60th birthday to get my 30 years and be eligible, but I went as soon as I could.

Old 02-27-2010, 05:25 AM

8,197 posts, read 11,915,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johanna25 View Post
Congratulations MMoB! Enjoy your freedom. I just walked out the gate of the Navy Yard for the last time yesterday.
And congratulations to you as well! (On both your retirement AND the sale of your house!)

Old 02-27-2010, 10:57 AM

183 posts, read 312,889 times
I have been lurking a while, but I needed to respond to this. I am going to "retire" this summer with a full pension and health benefits. I will be 43. Will I really "retire"? You know, sit on a lawn chair on my drive way and complain about the government, maybe play bingo on Fridays and a round of golf with the boys on Sunday? Doubtful. Retirement is what YOU make of it. I see it as a process, not an event. A new adventure that changes whenever you want it too becuase you have attained that which we all want, freedom.

I don't get the folks that say you will get bored or stir-crazy. Why? You can do anything you want. Even work, but now you will be doing it on your terms. Retirement doesn't mean you necessarily stop working, it means you stop working for a paycheck. You begin working for you. Think about all the things you have ever wanted to do. Retirement will allow you to do that. Write a book, get into photography, start a business, become a great golfer, volunteer for a favorite charity, whatever. Now you can do it. I suppose that if you "retire" and putter around the house for year, sleep in every day, head to Denny's for the early bird special and then settle in for a "Matlock" marathon it could get boring. But even with minimal funds there is so much you can do.

Don't have the money to pay greens fees or buy lift tickets? Get a part-time job at a golf course or ski resort that lets you golf or ski for free. Don't think you can afford to go to Europe for a month? Get a short term job and save up or take a tramp steamer across the Atlantic and hike around Europe living in hostels. If you can't find something to do and way to do it with the freedom that retirement offers, maybe you should keep working for a paycheck...forever.

And really, what's the worse that can happen? You have to go back to work to pay the bills? That's what you're doing right now. So whats the tragedy? You have a year or two off and had some great adventures. Now you work a few years and do it again. Better than slaving away the whole time. If retiring young is your goal, do it. Even with a wife and kids and house payment it is possible. Good luck on your decision.

I say follow your heart. If it sounds like something that you want to do, do it. If you think you'll be bored and miss your job, don't. This is about you. I appreciate the desire to have others validate your thinking, but don't let other make the decision. Read the advice, think it over and do what's right for you.

Old 02-27-2010, 11:13 AM
GLS

1,985 posts, read 4,847,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfishnevada View Post
I have been lurking a while, but I needed to respond to this. I am going to "retire" this summer with a full pension and health benefits. I will be 43. Will I really "retire"? You know, sit on a lawn chair on my drive way and complain about the government, maybe play bingo on Fridays and a round of golf with the boys on Sunday? Doubtful. Retirement is what YOU make of it. I see it as a process, not an event. A new adventure that changes whenever you want it too becuase you have attained that which we all want, freedom.

I don't get the folks that say you will get bored or stir-crazy. Why? You can do anything you want. Even work, but now you will be doing it on your terms. Retirement doesn't mean you necessarily stop working, it means you stop working for a paycheck. You begin working for you. Think about all the things you have ever wanted to do. Retirement will allow you to do that. Write a book, get into photography, start a business, become a great golfer, volunteer for a favorite charity, whatever. Now you can do it. I suppose that if you "retire" and putter around the house for year, sleep in every day, head to Denny's for the early bird special and then settle in for a "Matlock" marathon it could get boring. But even with minimal funds there is so much you can do.

Don't have the money to pay greens fees or buy lift tickets? Get a part-time job at a golf course or ski resort that lets you golf or ski for free. Don't think you can afford to go to Europe for a month? Get a short term job and save up or take a tramp steamer across the Atlantic and hike around Europe living in hostels. If you can't find something to do and way to do it with the freedom that retirement offers, maybe you should keep working for a paycheck...forever.

And really, what's the worse that can happen? You have to go back to work to pay the bills? That's what you're doing right now. So whats the tragedy? You have a year or two off and had some great adventures. Now you work a few years and do it again. Better than slaving away the whole time. If retiring young is your goal, do it. Even with a wife and kids and house payment it is possible. Good luck on your decision.

I say follow your heart. If it sounds like something that you want to do, do it. If you think you'll be bored and miss your job, don't. This is about you. I appreciate the desire to have others validate your thinking, but don't let other make the decision. Read the advice, think it over and do what's right for you.
With the exception of health limitations, you have done an eloquent job of illustrating that the difference between a "good" retirement and a "bad" retirement is all in one's life attitude.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement