U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 03-30-2010, 10:18 AM
 
21 posts, read 63,344 times
Reputation: 16

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Escort Rider View Post
Too bad this thread got high-jacked for a while over the non-issue of driving or not driving a car. (Sure, traffic injuries and deaths do occur, but statistically that's not what makes people "unhealthy"). Little Dolphin said it best; the key to remaining vital as we age is exercise and good diet along with remaining connected to other people and having meaningful activities. Being isolated and sitting at home watching TV is deadly. So is being a couch potato. A good book on the science behind all this is Younger Next Year by Crowley and Lodge. While aimed at men, it's still an engaging read for all. Their main thesis is that most of the debilities associated with "normal" aging are not normal at all, but are the result of inactivity, both physical and social.
There is one for women too.Younger Next Year for Women - Crowley & Lodge
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-30-2010, 09:40 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles area
14,018 posts, read 17,747,361 times
Reputation: 32309
I didn't know that - thank you, Nemar. That's just great that they wrote one for women too. I hope you liked it as much as I did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2010, 10:29 PM
 
Location: Florida Gulf Coast
4,407 posts, read 5,929,861 times
Reputation: 7121
Newenglandgirl, sorry, I didn't see your question earlier about how I calculated the calories of everything I ate. Well, mostly everything with a label has the calorie content. So the package would tell you how many calories are in that English muffin. An 8 oz. glass of fat-free milk has 90 calories. For things without a label (like a piece of pizza), I'd look in a Calorie Book (now all that stuff is on-line) and do an estimate. For salads, I'd do my best guess (from the book) at the calories in each item in the salad.

I forgot to tell you one of the most important things: The FAT content in the calories. For example, the fat-free milk has 90 total calories and zero fat calories; whereas, a glass of whole milk might have 150 calories, half of them being fat. I was trying to keep my fat (and sugar) calories to a minimum.

I think my treadmill also told me how many calories I was burning as I walked briskly on ever-increasing inclines. So I was able to come up with a pretty close approximation.

All in all, it might be a lot of work keeping track of all this, but I think this is the only surefire way to lose weight. Let me know if you have any other questions....I'm no diet expert but it worked for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-31-2010, 06:06 AM
 
Location: Near a river
16,042 posts, read 18,985,208 times
Reputation: 15649
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
Newenglandgirl, sorry, I didn't see your question earlier about how I calculated the calories of everything I ate. Well, mostly everything with a label has the calorie content. So the package would tell you how many calories are in that English muffin. An 8 oz. glass of fat-free milk has 90 calories. For things without a label (like a piece of pizza), I'd look in a Calorie Book (now all that stuff is on-line) and do an estimate. For salads, I'd do my best guess (from the book) at the calories in each item in the salad.

I forgot to tell you one of the most important things: The FAT content in the calories. For example, the fat-free milk has 90 total calories and zero fat calories; whereas, a glass of whole milk might have 150 calories, half of them being fat. I was trying to keep my fat (and sugar) calories to a minimum.

I think my treadmill also told me how many calories I was burning as I walked briskly on ever-increasing inclines. So I was able to come up with a pretty close approximation.

All in all, it might be a lot of work keeping track of all this, but I think this is the only surefire way to lose weight. Let me know if you have any other questions....I'm no diet expert but it worked for me.
Thanks for the inspiration. I eat very well but have cream in coffee several times a day, an old habit. I've switched to whole milk in it, and then will progress to skim (not sure that will cut it though).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-31-2010, 09:18 AM
 
Location: Sarasota Florida
1,236 posts, read 3,609,307 times
Reputation: 1230
Talking breaking the high fat coffee-cream habit......

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Thanks for the inspiration. I eat very well but have cream in coffee several times a day, an old habit. I've switched to whole milk in it, and then will progress to skim (not sure that will cut it though).
Years ago, I used to be addicted to half-&-half in my coffee ~ but nowadays I LOVE my morning coffee with Chocolate Almond Breeze in it Tastes like a chocolate latte I drink one half cup of coffee to one half cup of chocolate almond breeze ~ very yummy, no fat, no lactose, 10 grams of sugar and 60 calories per 4 ounces.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-01-2010, 06:50 AM
 
Location: Tennessee
1,362 posts, read 3,807,286 times
Reputation: 793
ConeyIsBabe, this sounds like a fantastic idea. We just started using the Vanilla Almond Milk in our coffee but the chocolat sounds great. We were using the one made by Breeze but switched to the new almond milk by Silk which seems to be a thicker consistency.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-01-2010, 05:23 PM
 
Location: Near a river
16,042 posts, read 18,985,208 times
Reputation: 15649
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyIsBabe View Post
Years ago, I used to be addicted to half-&-half in my coffee ~ but nowadays I LOVE my morning coffee with Chocolate Almond Breeze in it Tastes like a chocolate latte I drink one half cup of coffee to one half cup of chocolate almond breeze ~ very yummy, no fat, no lactose, 10 grams of sugar and 60 calories per 4 ounces.
what is C-A-B and where do you get it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-01-2010, 05:24 PM
 
Location: Near a river
16,042 posts, read 18,985,208 times
Reputation: 15649
Quote:
Originally Posted by 46Barb View Post
ConeyIsBabe, this sounds like a fantastic idea. We just started using the Vanilla Almond Milk in our coffee but the chocolat sounds great. We were using the one made by Breeze but switched to the new almond milk by Silk which seems to be a thicker consistency.
Are there any sugars or hydro oils in this? Or cottonseed oil?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-01-2010, 06:53 PM
 
Location: Sarasota Florida
1,236 posts, read 3,609,307 times
Reputation: 1230
Talking Almond Breeze info ~

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
what is C-A-B and where do you get it?
Almond Breeze is made by Blue Diamond ~ Blue Diamond Growers

My favorite flavor is Chocolate and here are the ingredients:

Purified water, evaporated cane juice, almonds, cocoa (Dutch process), tricalcium phosphate, sea salt, potassium citrate, carrageenan, natural flavors, soy lecithin, vitamin A palmitate, vitamin D2, D-alpha-tocopherol (natural vitamin E).

It is lactose & casein free, cholesterol & gluten free and VERY GOOD TASTING!! However I don't like the unsweetened chocolate flavor ~ The chocolate flavor satisfies my sweet-tooth and is especially delicious in my morning coffee

I stock up when it's on sale, otherwise the price varies from store to store. All health food stores carry it !!

Last edited by ConeyIsBabe; 04-01-2010 at 06:59 PM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-01-2010, 09:51 PM
 
Location: Florida Gulf Coast
4,407 posts, read 5,929,861 times
Reputation: 7121
Newenglandgirl, I too used to use light cream in my coffee, then I ramped it back to whole milk. Eventually, I got tired of buying a small bottle of whole milk or Parmalat just for coffee, so I eventually just got used to skim milk in my coffee. I know -- horrors -- it is definitely not the same, but now my coffee seems way too rich if it has cream in it.

I think a small bit of whole milk in your coffee a few times a day is no biggie, as long as you count that in your total calories/fat grams for the day. (I mean, not that you're following my method, but if you were.) Just out of curiosity, I checked -- 1 tbsp. of light cream is 29 calories v. 9 for whole milk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top