U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2010, 06:01 PM

126 posts, read 138,167 times

Advertisements

Hi,

Good posts, I learned a few things to try. I'll be retiring next year at 56. I plan on "staying young" like I've been doing; laughing a lot and not taking myself very seriously, eating better (thanks the wife for that), playing with my two beautiful grandaughters, and jumping out of airplanes frequently!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2010, 05:57 PM

16,042 posts, read 18,985,208 times
Researchers are finding a strong link between atracine (sp?) herbicide in corn and obesity. Corn or corn byproducts are in just about all foods to some degree, some you wou;dn't even believe have it. Some of this obesity is tragic b/c it may be beyond peoples control, and the younger folks have no idea what high fructose corn syrup and hydrogenated oils are, and they're feeding these to their kids, and the schools are... the kids are doomed if this keeps up. Seniors need to read labels and be informed and teach their adult kids and grandkids if they'll listen.

Old 04-16-2010, 03:22 PM

Has anyone used those bicycles that are low to the road and you lean far back in...what are they called? Watching some on the local road today it seems they look comfy but I wonder about them for seniors...are they safe (what kind of control do you ahve on a road with cars) and how are they on the joints?

Old 04-16-2010, 06:15 PM

Default Recumbents

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Has anyone used those bicycles that are low to the road and you lean far back in...what are they called? Watching some on the local road today it seems they look comfy but I wonder about them for seniors...are they safe (what kind of control do you ahve on a road with cars) and how are they on the joints?
They're called recumbents. I have a hybrid bike (Cannondale C-600), and try to ride everyday; at least 80 mi/week. I tried the recumbents, but I don't like them for two main reasons: For me, they hurt my lumbar section of my back, but more importantly, they are much less visible to vehicular traffic than a normal bike, and they are almost invisible sometimes.

Old 04-19-2010, 12:48 PM

2,220 posts, read 2,037,561 times
Default trampolines

Quote:

Re: jogging--I cannot do impact exercises, but my vascular MD suggested getting a mini trampoline with a hold-on bar, says this is the best form of no impact exercise. It is the only exercise I can really do, even walking is too high impact for me at certain times. The nice thing about the trampoline is that you can walk gently on it, jump just slightly, dance to rock or whatever music you like, even to slow tunes. This idea of his was a godsend for me.
Can you tell us more about this? I always thought a trampoline might cause joint injuries?? My joints are sort of loosely held together and I'm prone to injuries.

Old 04-19-2010, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skydiver_jim View Post
They're called recumbents. I have a hybrid bike (Cannondale C-600), and try to ride everyday; at least 80 mi/week. I tried the recumbents, but I don't like them for two main reasons: For me, they hurt my lumbar section of my back, but more importantly, they are much less visible to vehicular traffic than a normal bike, and they are almost invisible sometimes.
It was apparent when I saw it on the road that it might not be visible and an accident in one of them could be pretty awful. What is a hybrid bike? Can it be used in limited areas like a school playground paved path? (biking is non-impact so would possibly work for me).

Old 04-19-2010, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker2 View Post
Can you tell us more about this? I always thought a trampoline might cause joint injuries?? My joints are sort of loosely held together and I'm prone to injuries.
I can't do anything at all with impact, even walking can be harmful if done too much. I have serious vascular leg problem. The only thing that works for me in terms of exercise is a mini trampoline. I have very good balance and so don't need to hold onto anything, but I put it next to a wall in case I do. There are models that come with hold-on bars. I don't jump high like kids do on an outdoor model, I just jog lightly in place or improvise to music. 10 or 20 minutes. It's amazing how it helps the blood return amd my joints feel better too. Rebound exercise is one of the most highly rated exercises. It's also one of the only "fun" ones I've found (I deplore method exercise and even yoga is too hard on my legs). I keep it set up all th time but you can store it under your bed or use it on a deck or porch. It's very well constructed. Mine cost about $40 a few years ago. Glad you asked, I need to do more of it every day.

Old 04-20-2010, 05:28 AM

Default Hybrids

Quote:
It was apparent when I saw it on the road that it might not be visible and an accident in one of them could be pretty awful. What is a hybrid bike? Can it be used in limited areas like a school playground paved path? (biking is non-impact so would possibly work for me).

A hybrid is a bike where you sit upright, and has slightly different geometry of the frame. Its tires are skinnier than a mountain bike, but not as skinny as a road bike. Hybrids are designed to ride on smooth trails or asphalt, like your school path. The bike trail I ride on, the W & OD, (Washington and Old Dominion), is a rails to trail conversion, and paved for its entire length, which is about 42 miles.

Old 04-20-2010, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skydiver_jim View Post
A hybrid is a bike where you sit upright, and has slightly different geometry of the frame. Its tires are skinnier than a mountain bike, but not as skinny as a road bike. Hybrids are designed to ride on smooth trails or asphalt, like your school path. The bike trail I ride on, the W & OD, (Washington and Old Dominion), is a rails to trail conversion, and paved for its entire length, which is about 42 miles.
Sounds like one of the old fashioned bikes with three speeds - you sit up straight rather than bent over the bars. Those three speeders were killers going up steep hills! How does the hybrid help older folks - in any way?

Old 04-21-2010, 05:08 AM

Default Hybrids

Quote:
Sounds like one of the old fashioned bikes with three speeds - you sit up straight rather than bent over the bars. Those three speeders were killers going up steep hills! How does the hybrid help older folks - in any way?
My hybrid Cannondale C-600 has 21 speeds; I'm not sure what you're thinking of. I go thrrough some pretty hilly terrain, especially in wester Loudoun county on the trail and have no problem. I also may mention that I initially started riding a bike about twenty years ago because I blew out my knees jogging.

Just Google Hybrid Bikes and take a look
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or