U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-13-2010, 08:07 AM

1,205 posts, read 2,276,590 times
Talking old folk remedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Has anyone tried the old folk remedy (and newer health thing) of apple cider vinegar every day in a glass of water? I'ts supposed to help with alkalizing the body and thus helping arthritis and other ailments. I got the "real" stuff (not sure if we're allowed to cite brands here) and starting, just to see what happens. Any other info on this appreciated.
YES, I drink raw, unfiltered ACV with honey every now and then. IMHO it doesn't cure any ailments but tastes good and flavors my water I get much better results in managing arthritis by maintaining a non-inflammatory diet
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2010, 08:25 AM

3,517 posts, read 8,270,432 times
Quote:
Has anyone tried the old folk remedy (and newer health thing) of apple cider vinegar every day in a glass of water? I'ts supposed to help with alkalizing the body and thus helping arthritis and other ailments. I got the "real" stuff (not sure if we're allowed to cite brands here) and starting, just to see what happens. Any other info on this appreciated.
I tried this and it did nothing for me either. I don't buy that acid alkaline food thing. If the body pH goes out of whack (controlled by electrolytes), you die pretty quickly. That's why drinking 5 gallons of water in 1 day will kill you and why heavy duty athletes need to watch how much salt they sweat out. Food isn't going to alter such a sensitive system. The body regulates pH closely and excretes extra. Its just an unfounded claim to sell books. They can claim it with a fair amount of safety because the body is so good at regulating pH. Their recommendations aren't going to hurt you but they won't help either.

Most ACV is not made with apple juice at all. You have search out the real stuff.
Some foods do promote postaglandins which cause inflamation and some calm them down.

Old 06-15-2010, 05:18 PM

11,339 posts, read 7,187,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesaje View Post
I tried this and it did nothing for me either.
Well this comment makes me think of another question. This is a difficult one because I know so many people are into supplements, but here goes: I have been buying and using pricey (a la whole foods co.) supplements and herbs for many years. To be perfectly honest, I have never seen any direct benefits from intended use over many months. When I go off a supplement or herb for a while, I feel no difference in any way! Has anyone else experience this? My late 91 year old mother never believed in supplements, never took one in her life. I'm wondering if supplements (non-food kinds) are all that helpful, or if a better effort should be made to just eat better foods (p.s. I never eat junk food).

Old 06-15-2010, 06:36 PM

5,196 posts, read 3,469,344 times
I definitely feel and see a difference when I stop taking fish oil and other like supps - my skin isn't as supple. Also, the more I read about Vit D and cancer and other maladies, I will continue those - too many reputable people are adamant about them.

The pricey supps my previous DR (emphasis is on previous) recommended have been stopped a long time and I take regular multi Vit. I'm convinced that this Dr. got some type of kick back for recommeneding them - she was a real snake. She'd ask about them all the time and when I said I was taking something else that was very similar she came unglued. I compared all ingredients and they were almost identical. Not enough of a difference to make a difference.

I didn't see or feel a change from either one. It is always better to get nutrients from food but few people really do. I certainly don't, so I will continue to take supps.

Old 06-15-2010, 07:31 PM

Cool supplements & drugs

I've always believed eating real, unprocessed food is what the human body thrives on, and not man-made supplements

However, I'm just as brainwashed as others and do take the minimum amount of calcium with vit-D & magnesium and glucosamine/chondroitin ~ occasionally when I have a cold I'll take mega doses of vit-C and that's about it.

Furthermore, I'm not in favor of drugs used to maintain normal body functions. Instead, I avoid all food products known to cause inflammation or lower the immune system ~ so far so good.......

Old 06-16-2010, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyIsBabe View Post
Instead, I avoid all food products known to cause inflammation or lower the immune system ~ so far so good.......
These days, these would be just about everything except plant foods, right? Animal foods, flour products, etc apparently cause inflammation. How about whole grains? Does this mean you keep a vegetarian diet?

Old 06-16-2010, 09:41 AM

Default I'm not a vegetarian ~~

Quote:
These days, these would be just about everything except plant foods, right? Animal foods, flour products, etc apparently cause inflammation. How about whole grains? Does this mean you keep a vegetarian diet?
My blog explains my eating lifestyle based on a Mediterranean diet but excluding all dairy, red meat, deli meat, most processed products, etc.

Old 06-16-2010, 11:35 AM

5,738 posts, read 2,625,289 times
Quote:
Don't get me started on whole grains. They do a number on me. I know many of the foods to avoid, still trying to figure out which foods do good things for my me. So far low carb works best as far as keeping the weight off.

Old 06-17-2010, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRosa View Post
Don't get me started on whole grains. They do a number on me. I know many of the foods to avoid, still trying to figure out which foods do good things for my me. So far low carb works best as far as keeping the weight off.
Whole grains put weight on you? That's interesting. Maybe that's the case for others too? I am a carb addict but due to health reasons began whole grains about 30 yrs ago. I have to admit splurges on "good quality" (?) refined grains. How do you avoid grain foods?

Old 06-17-2010, 09:46 AM

5,738 posts, read 2,625,289 times
Quote:
Whole grains put weight on you? That's interesting. Maybe that's the case for others too? I am a carb addict but due to health reasons began whole grains about 30 yrs ago. I have to admit splurges on "good quality" (?) refined grains. How do you avoid grain foods?
No, whole grains don't cause me to gain weight, they cause me to bloat up have terrible digestional upset plus drain my energy. It's easy to avoid grains when I mostly eat a low carb diet. I still eat whole grains every once and a while, but am sure to avoid them when I know I'm going to have a busy day. Things like oatmeal wreck havoc on my sinuses as well. It's not easy to do without, but I do my best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement