U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2010, 10:38 AM

2,218 posts, read 2,035,670 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRosa View Post
No, whole grains don't cause me to gain weight, they cause me to bloat up have terrible digestional upset plus drain my energy. It's easy to avoid grains when I mostly eat a low carb diet. I still eat whole grains every once and a while, but am sure to avoid them when I know I'm going to have a busy day. Things like oatmeal wreck havoc on my sinuses as well. It's not easy to do without, but I do my best.
Is it all whole grains or just gluten containing whole grains? I'm OK with those without gluten. Wheat, spelt, kamut, and barley have gluten. Oats are almost always contaminated with gluten from processing. I don't have celiac, but I'm doing the gentoype/bloodtype diet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2010, 11:16 AM

8,134 posts, read 7,642,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker2 View Post
Is it all whole grains or just gluten containing whole grains? I'm OK with those without gluten. Wheat, spelt, kamut, and barley have gluten. Oats are almost always contaminated with gluten from processing. I don't have celiac, but I'm doing the gentoype/bloodtype diet.
Unfortunately, I tried ruling out gluten and that seems not to be the main culprit. Any wheat, corn, rice, beans, bananas, dairy products all cause some problems. It's been this way for as long as I can remember. The banana thing is a bit more recent, maybe just in the past three years. Bananas always did bind me, but thy now cause me sever foot and leg cramping. I lovvvvvve bananas, so this is such a nusiance.

Old 06-17-2010, 06:09 PM

16,042 posts, read 18,975,704 times
Quote:
Unfortunately, I tried ruling out gluten and that seems not to be the main culprit. Any wheat, corn, rice, beans, bananas, dairy products all cause some problems. It's been this way for as long as I can remember. The banana thing is a bit more recent, maybe just in the past three years. Bananas always did bind me, but thy now cause me sever foot and leg cramping. I lovvvvvve bananas, so this is such a nusiance.
wow, you really know your own body. If I have a cramp I have no clue where it came from! But since I cannot tolerate meat I rely on rice and beans, and a banana in my smoothie. Dairy I haven't had for 30 yrs, don't miss it. But I'm starting to suspect soy products but can't pinpoint the side effects.

Old 06-17-2010, 07:44 PM

8,134 posts, read 7,642,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
wow, you really know your own body. If I have a cramp I have no clue where it came from! But since I cannot tolerate meat I rely on rice and beans, and a banana in my smoothie. Dairy I haven't had for 30 yrs, don't miss it. But I'm starting to suspect soy products but can't pinpoint the side effects.

This link might be helpful in regards to soy. I have a problem with it, legumes in general. Oh heck, I have issues with most foods, chemicals. When I was a teen, I woke up with hives all over my arms, never figured what that was, same whenever I sat on certain benches at train stations. I know what it was now. Incense, and fiberglass threads (I think that's what it's called) used in the bench. I probably need to live in a bubble.

Soy Allergy - Information on Soy Allergy

Believe me, it took years of experimenting after doctors kept treating secondary ailments and them not being able to figure out what was causing me to become very ill for nearly two weeks out of every month since age 20. I finally solved a major issue, by doing lots of reading and process of elimination. Even so, before I was able to help myself, I was left with a hiatal hernia and a Schatzki ring (a ring around my esophagus,) and other health issues not pertaining to present issues dealing with medical disability status.

It always seems to be foods I love that cause the most problems. The major culprit back when it began, was beans, I still eat them, but in much smaller servings and probably no more than once a month.

No matter, I still enjoy food, there are loads of things I get to enjoy, just limit the ones that put me out of commission. Life's to short to not have ice cream in the summer.

Old 06-24-2010, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Believe me, it took years of experimenting after doctors kept treating secondary ailments and them not being able to figure out what was causing me to become very ill for nearly two weeks out of every month since age 20. I finally solved a major issue, by doing lots of reading and process of elimination. Even so, before I was able to help myself, I was left with a hiatal hernia and a Schatzki ring (a ring around my esophagus,) and other health issues not pertaining to present issues dealing with medical disability status.

It always seems to be foods I love that cause the most problems. The major culprit back when it began, was beans, I still eat them, but in much smaller servings and probably no more than once a month.

No matter, I still enjoy food, there are loads of things I get to enjoy, just limit the ones that put me out of commission. Life's to short to not have ice cream in the summer.
Do you find that the book about Body Type and what foods are best for each has any merit?

Old 06-24-2010, 04:43 PM

1,236 posts, read 3,608,206 times
I don't know why but from my personal experience foods that were eaten for years are now troublesome to me. It's like.... my body is telling me that these foods are just not wanted or needed for optimal health ~ so I have chosen to eliminate them and sacrifice the "taste".

Sometimes I crave the foods of the good old days, like dairy, milk, ice cream, cheese, butter, ETC. and also soy products. I have voluntarily eliminated all red meat, as well as most processed fats and many other un-foods !

Rarely, I give in to the cravings and eat a decadent desert, a little ice cream, some cheese BUT then I suffer the repercussions for a week thereafter with painful bloating & IBS symptoms. That few minutes of bliss when enjoying the forbidden food is just not worth a week of discomfort to me.

I've learned to respect my body and feed it the most natural pure food I can !

Old 06-25-2010, 07:35 AM

1,362 posts, read 3,806,260 times
ConeyIsBabe, I like your last line "I've leanred to respect my body and feed it the most natural pure food I can"

Last night we were craving bacon, sausage, etc. but didn't want the nitrates, processed food. I said to my husband that I wish I didn't crave bacon (the smell & crispiness) so much, but we're trying to eat healthier to hopefully avoid illness in the future. So we let it pass and had something healthy that we enjoyed.

Old 06-25-2010, 09:46 AM

Default 46Barb.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46Barb View Post
ConeyIsBabe, I like your last line "I've leanred to respect my body and feed it the most natural pure food I can"

Last night we were craving bacon, sausage, etc. but didn't want the nitrates, processed food. I said to my husband that I wish I didn't crave bacon (the smell & crispiness) so much, but we're trying to eat healthier to hopefully avoid illness in the future. So we let it pass and had something healthy that we enjoyed.
This is exactly what I mean about taking control over what we eat. I fight the old habits & cravings all the time and it's a battle between wanting to eat the bacon (or any other food item we know is unhealthy) and wanting to be healthy and feel good!! 99% of the time I make the right choice

Old 06-26-2010, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyIsBabe View Post
I don't know why but from my personal experience foods that were eaten for years are now troublesome to me. It's like.... my body is telling me that these foods are just not wanted or needed for optimal health ~ so I have chosen to eliminate them and sacrifice the "taste".

Sometimes I crave the foods of the good old days, like dairy, milk, ice cream, cheese, butter, ETC. and also soy products. I have voluntarily eliminated all red meat, as well as most processed fats and many other un-foods !

Rarely, I give in to the cravings and eat a decadent desert, a little ice cream, some cheese BUT then I suffer the repercussions for a week thereafter with painful bloating & IBS symptoms. That few minutes of bliss when enjoying the forbidden food is just not worth a week of discomfort to me.

I've learned to respect my body and feed it the most natural pure food I can !
So that more or less leaves you with a rice and bean and veggie diet. Which is what I've tried to do most of my adult life. I am now suspecting soy of causing problems. I also wonder about if I'm getting enough B-12 and also probiotic foods...to eliminate dairy, I tried soy yogurt but this didn't go too well. Do you have yogurt of any kind, or just take supplements?

Old 06-26-2010, 08:49 AM

Talking keeping it simple ~

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
So that more or less leaves you with a rice and bean and veggie diet. Which is what I've tried to do most of my adult life. I am now suspecting soy of causing problems. I also wonder about if I'm getting enough B-12 and also probiotic foods...to eliminate dairy, I tried soy yogurt but this didn't go too well. Do you have yogurt of any kind, or just take supplements?
neg ~ my diet consists of more than rice, beans & veggies ~~ I do eat fish and chicken and eggs and fresh fruit and daily flaxseed oil and high quality probiotic when needed and whole grain products

NO yogurt of any kind ~ and the only supplements I take are calcium/mag/D and glucosamine/chondroiten

no drugs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or