U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2010, 06:24 AM

1,362 posts, read 3,806,552 times

Advertisements

ConeyIsBabe, is there a reason you don't eat any kind of yogurt? Is it that you can't tolerate it? I know doctors on tv say to eat yogurt for the good bacteria in it. Thanks Barb
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2010, 09:08 AM

1,236 posts, read 3,608,485 times
Cool barb ~

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46Barb View Post
ConeyIsBabe, is there a reason you don't eat any kind of yogurt? Is it that you can't tolerate it? I know doctors on tv say to eat yogurt for the good bacteria in it. Thanks Barb
I'm lactose intolerant and milk products, even small amounts, give me intestinal distress ~ including yogurt. I've tried soy yogurts and those bother me also. The symptoms are very minor.... slight brief tummy ache, slight bloating, sometimes just a bad feeling. So I've eliminated those food products from my diet and my tummy is happy

I do take a high quality probiotic ~ Ultimate Flora Senior Formula, 30 billion cultures ~ which I find in the refrigerator section of the health food store.

Old 06-27-2010, 12:45 PM

16,042 posts, read 18,978,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyIsBabe View Post
neg ~ my diet consists of more than rice, beans & veggies ~~ I do eat fish and chicken and eggs and fresh fruit and daily flaxseed oil and high quality probiotic when needed and whole grain products

NO yogurt of any kind ~ and the only supplements I take are calcium/mag/D and glucosamine/chondroiten

no drugs
I bet you're in great shape! I'm going to be inspired by you to eliminate the yogurt. Dairy affects my circulation. It's not that I love the taste, either.

Old 06-27-2010, 01:56 PM

Cool neg~

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
I bet you're in great shape! I'm going to be inspired by you to eliminate the yogurt. Dairy affects my circulation. It's not that I love the taste, either.
I enjoy the rewards of a lifestyle based on eating what my body needs ~ not just what tastes good for a few minutes and I take pride in maintaining a size 10 for health reasons and vanity (I admit to it)

Old 06-28-2010, 06:07 AM

Quote:
I enjoy the rewards of a lifestyle based on eating what my body needs ~ not just what tastes good for a few minutes and I take pride in maintaining a size 10 for health reasons and vanity (I admit to it)
OK, let's hear some of your guilty (or guiltless) food pleasures...

Old 06-28-2010, 09:41 AM

Default You asked.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
OK, let's hear some of your guilty (or guiltless) food pleasures...
LOL neg...... when I "cheat" it's with Pamela's cookies (at the health food store). Next time you are there, look for the mini-chocolate-chip cookies, read the ingredients and try some. The cheating part is when I eat more than the recommended portion, which is 3 cookies

Overall, my willpower is very strong ~ cuz I like feeling good

Old 06-29-2010, 06:56 AM

1,362 posts, read 3,806,552 times
Kind of reminds me of the saying: "I eat to live, I don't live to eat".

Old 06-29-2010, 04:03 PM

Quote:
LOL neg...... when I "cheat" it's with Pamela's cookies (at the health food store). Next time you are there, look for the mini-chocolate-chip cookies, read the ingredients and try some. The cheating part is when I eat more than the recommended portion, which is 3 cookies

Overall, my willpower is very strong ~ cuz I like feeling good
3 cookies? Who can eat 3 cookies?

Old 07-07-2010, 05:21 AM

I hope my last post didn't kill the thread!

My M.D. and vascular surgeon are pushing exercise. Who belongs to a gym who didn't want to but now likes it?

Old 07-07-2010, 05:59 AM

14,018 posts, read 17,740,386 times
Default Gym membership

Yes, all doctors should be pushing exercise if they aren't. I used to think gym memberships were a waste of money. After all, we can exercise out of doors, which I did, off and on, for years. One of my outdoor jogging routes led right past the floor to ceiling windows of an L.A. Fitness gym near my town house, and I used to think, look at all those people wasting their money. Then five years ago I had a scare with blood sugar control and decided it might be easier to exercise regularly at a gym so I joined. It was the best thing I ever spent money on. First, all those days when we might say "forget it" (105 degrees outside and smoggy, or pouring down rain, etc.), the gym is there waiting (no need for sunscreen, even). Second, there is a wide choice of modes: Don't like treadmills? Try the ellipticals, or the stationary bikes, or the stair machines. Third, there are all kinds of group classes, which are normally free with membership. At first, I just used the treadmills, but then I decided to try some classes. Best move I ever made. I had my first ever experience with yoga there, and started doing a weight class twice a week, which is just great for us seniors who are all naturally (if slowly) losing muscle mass. I met some fantastic instructors (and some mediocre ones too of course). The view from here? Take the plunge!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or